WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I have an old Golite Pinnacle that had very small pockets. My DIY solution involved sewing on two small bits of webbing that hung down an inch below the waist belt. The webbing ended in a 1" common loop---a small square plastic loop. They were spaced to match the column spacing of a MOLLE pouch. I used Malice Clips from Tactical Tailor to attach a pouch to the loops. I can still use the original pocket on the hip belt, and hanging below, is a pouch large enough for my sunglasses, sunscreen, maps and a snack. If I choose to remove the pouch, the webbing loops are hardly noticeable. As you noted, MOLLE pouches usually aren't the lightest solution, but it works well enough for me that I don't mind the extra couple of ounces. If you shop around, you can find lighter pouches made of 330d or 500d cordura too.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Leonidas

Just weighed a molle compatible pouch I got with 200 rounds of ammo. 3.8 oz and my iPhone 6+ just barely fits in a minimalist case.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I like your DYI add-on...especially because it would give me a way to use up some stray malice clips laying around! I'm going to keep that in mind maybe for a winter day hike kit, but for now I've gone ahead and ordered the Zpacks pouches and hope those will work out.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I have recently looked at the Zpacks pouch, but they say it measures 6", and I'm thinking I'd be having to almost force the phone in...stressing the seams, etc. They look great if not for that concern.

I do in fact have a number of military/molle compatible pouches, and love them. I've been hoping to find something lighter, but if all else fails I'll probably go with them.
    I have 2 of the zpack pouches on their Arc haul Zip pack and the pouches are more like 8 inches and a galaxy s7 and note 5 inside life proof cases fit just fine. If that helps. Zpacks pouches are top notch as well quiet waterproof in down pour.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Great to hear that. I placed my order and now waiting by the mailbox.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

You could also look at these: http://www.ribzwear.com/ I have the large, which is probably overkill. Much easier access than hip pouches.

My iphone 6+ fit in the zpacks belt pouches just fine. The pouches did not last the entire trail though. Both zippers and one of the elastics failed. Only had one at the end and was using safety pins to keep it closed. Zpacks doesn't guarantee them so keep that in mind. They are really good about sending you replacement stuff on the trail though so if you need to replace them they will get you new ones quickly.

Cool. Customer service defines a business.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Well I ordered two of the Zpacks pouches and last week and they arrived today. They look great -- more than enough room to drop my phone in, as well as anything else I want to keep at-hand. Much larger and more substantial than I anticipated. Weight is exactly as stated on their website (.75 oz each.) I think I'm going to be very happy with this choice. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Now I just have to figure out how to put them on correctly....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I had a set of Zimmerbuilt pouches made for my pack out of x-pac. I can barely squeeze my Moto X phone which happens to also measure exactly 6" in length inside for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmann View Post
    You could also look at these: http://www.ribzwear.com/ I have the large, which is probably overkill. Much easier access than hip pouches.
    My gf swears by 'em. It kinda goes with her trail name: Kanga

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    My iphone 6+ fit in the zpacks belt pouches just fine. The pouches did not last the entire trail though. Both zippers and one of the elastics failed. Only had one at the end and was using safety pins to keep it closed. Zpacks doesn't guarantee them so keep that in mind. They are really good about sending you replacement stuff on the trail though so if you need to replace them they will get you new ones quickly.
    i just had the zipper of one of mine fail this weekend. Kinda bummed it wasnt the one a mouse chewed a hole in.

:banana Chocolate lover in need

I'm also looking for add-on hip pouches, mostly for trail snacks. The minimum required opening is 7-5/8" x 3-1/2" (size of a Lindt chocolate bar). Dark colors would not work, as I don't want my chocolate melting. Pouches need to carry horizontally against the hip belt, not vertically with ends protruding above/below (broken chocolate bits tend to drop on the trail rather than into my mouth). Zippers would get a lot of wear, so flimsy Zpacks are no good (plus I think they come in black, so also unacceptable for that reason).

Ideally these pouches would be beige (light to reflect the sun, but a little color to hide the dirt). Tan or desert camouflage would probably be OK.

I take my dark chocolate nutrition needs very seriously. Can anyone help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++