WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Never enjoyed Gander Mountain, terrible customer service and management, from store managers up to corporate. Worked there for 2 months before taking my leave.

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    Gander Mountain and Cabela's going out of business? I guess you can only sell so many camo coffee mugs, and duck dynasty pillowcases.

You forgot pink camo

thom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    You forgot pink camo

thom
    What is, what you forgot on your last Flamingo hunt, Alex?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Many may not realize but back in the 80's, maybe early 90's, Gander Mountain had a huge presence in catalogs. I remember getting them and it had all the cool stuff you couldn't buy in local stores, at least not around me. This was before the internet made shopping so easy. Cabelas bought the rights to Gander Mountain Catalogs, mailing lists, etc. Gander Mountain kept a few stores but could not send catalogs and it really stunted their business growth.
    I am sure that with the online sales, Gander Mountain has made up some ground but at the same time, so many retailers are having a hard time selling goods that are also available online.
    Think about it, you go to a retail store (insert any name here) and look at some gear. While you don't buy it that day, you go home and research it. While you are researching it online, an ad from an online supplier has the exact same gear for 20% less. On a $200 piece of gear, it would cost you $40 more to buy locally, plus state sales tax. Now, places online offer free or cheap shipping and shipping times are days, not weeks. It's hard for the local guy to compete.

Also, many people say they support the local stores, and many do but many also look at dollars and cents and can't rationalize paying 20% more just so the local guy can stay in business. It's a tough decision but understandable how many of these stores are carrying store brand items more and more and less of the "off the shelf" stull that you can easily order online for less money, without paying for the brick and mortar building.

Ok, back to talking about Flamingo fooling pink camo.

Yeah, i remember the catalogs, and remember the feeling I had the first time I saw that they had a store.... sorta like a kid going to toys r us.

but you're right. Selection at any store isn't total, and I almost always want to go home and research items, especially big ticket stuff....read reviews, or whatever.... and even if it's not cheaper it's certainly easier to order it, rather than wait a week or two till I can get back across town, and make the drive through traffic..... yeah, as much as I want to support a store, it's just hard.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pondjumpr View Post
    On a $200 piece of gear, it would cost you $40 more to buy locally, plus state sales tax.
    The tax on an online purchase from a vendor with no connection ("nexus") with your state is exactly the same as in a local brick-and-mortar store situated in your state. It's just that you have the legal and moral obligation to report and pay it yourself, rather than the store acting as the state's tax collector.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Gander Mtn. claims to be the #1 seller of firearms in the country. If true, no way they go out of business.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Gander Mtn. claims to be the #1 seller of firearms in the country. If true, no way they go out of business.
    I think I recently saw a headline saying firearm sales are down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I wouldn't lay a weeks pay on that. No business model survives excessive debt.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

True. I got the annual sales details from Amazon before they set up shop in my state. Many probably still do.

Do you pay sales tax on used gear you buy? Probably not. However, it fall sunder the same rules and obligations. You should pay sales tax on the purchase of used gear and the seller should pay income tax on the sale. How many people do you know that actually do this? Flea markets around here are now trying to ensure that all regular sellers are licensed and pay sales tax on their sales. It's only right to do this because most are no different than the retail stores selling Monday Through Friday, they just usually skip out on the tax portion that the other, legitimate stores end up paying. Of course, many still slip through the cracks and in the end, the responsibility for paying the taxes falls directly on the shoulders of the consumer.

in reference to...^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    The tax on an online purchase from a vendor with no connection ("nexus") with your state is exactly the same as in a local brick-and-mortar store situated in your state. It's just that you have the legal and moral obligation to report and pay it yourself, rather than the store acting as the state's tax collector.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pondjumpr View Post
    True. I got the annual sales details from Amazon before they set up shop in my state. Many probably still do.

Do you pay sales tax on used gear you buy? Probably not. However, it fall sunder the same rules and obligations. You should pay sales tax on the purchase of used gear and the seller should pay income tax on the sale. How many people do you know that actually do this? Flea markets around here are now trying to ensure that all regular sellers are licensed and pay sales tax on their sales. It's only right to do this because most are no different than the retail stores selling Monday Through Friday, they just usually skip out on the tax portion that the other, legitimate stores end up paying. Of course, many still slip through the cracks and in the end, the responsibility for paying the taxes falls directly on the shoulders of the consumer.
    Yes, the buyer is responsible in many states for paying the sales tax. But you left out that the seller theoretically could owe a tax (but it would be capital gains tax, not income tax) on the sale price minus the depreciated cost basis when selling personal property. Typically, if the sales price reflected the value of the used gear, one could argue (generally successfully) that the reduction in value was due to depreciation, damage, etc. For example, you don't declare or pay income tax on the money you receive when you sell a used car (unless you are a dealer and in that business). But NOBODY, including IRS, is suggesting that people keep track or declare capital gains or income from small private transactions on personal property where typically the sales price is at a fair adjusted cost basis and the seller is not engaged in selling such items as a business.

Images

Gander opened a store in Ocala a couple years ago and unfortunately it's been the only choice locally besides Dick's, which isn't really an option for decent gear. I'm not all that sad to see it go however, since they want to charge Orvis prices for mid-range quality.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Guns is what was on the in-store PA infomercials today. There was a large section dedicated to 50% off fashion, fleece, and rainwear.

As a 'big bottomed girl', Gander Mountain is one of the only places that I can get hiking and snow pants that fit. All the other outlets seem to believe that only skinny women like to be active outdoors. I will miss them if they go.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    So true... I think there are a few states without it, but most require you to pay a "use tax". Amazon sends me an email in January telling me what I should pay to my state. Since they have a warehouse in state they started taxing a few things. TurboTax even asks me when I'm doing my state return:
    "Did you make any out of state purchases that you are required to pay South Carolina Use Tax on?" In other words: Did I buy something online and not pay sales tax?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I would love to see them go. Another B&M store that tears down trees and paves huge parking lots that only ever see 10% capacity getting closed, SIGN ME UP!!!
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I would love to see them go. Another B&M store that tears down trees and paves huge parking lots that only ever see 10% capacity getting closed, SIGN ME UP!!!
    So now there's a huge empty building and a parking lot that gets used 0% of the time. How does that help anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    So now there's a huge empty building and a parking lot that gets used 0% of the time. How does that help anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the sense that they will learn to stop building them. The ones that are built can be repurposed and used for other things. Huge parking lot can become a farmers market. Building can be used by the city for lots of things or just torn down and recycled.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    In the sense that they will learn to stop building them. The ones that are built can be repurposed and used for other things. Huge parking lot can become a farmers market. Building can be used by the city for lots of things or just torn down and recycled.
    Interesting.

Not in the sense that of course it could be used for another purpose, just interesting that your default is for the city to do something with it rather than another retailer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++