WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Yellow Heet

Default Yellow Heet

Going with an alcohal stove (caldera keg), and kept reading that yellow HEET is a commonly used fuel.

Well apparently it is not common up around northern Ohio, i have looked at several gas stations and a Kmart and have come up empty.

Next stop is an auto zone or something similar.

I guess my question is, is yellow heet more plentiful/easier to find in trail towns?

I never once used Heet on the trail, though I thought I would. I saw it a few times in gas stations. Every trail town I stopped in had some outfitter or store that carried denatured alcohol, so no problems getting fuel.

Yes your stove can use many fuels . Buy what's available.

Thom

Walmart carries it. I search out the local NAPA store down south for it, most towns have one. I've been told the convenient stores don't stock it because it can be used to cook Meth.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I had trouble finding it in GA at the convenience stores because a lot of them used STP products. I think you need to find it at Walmart. I, like others, have found denatured alcohol just as good as HEET. You can refill your fuel at Neels Gap for starters.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

you will have no trouble finding fuel. gas stations, wal-mart, grocery stores, outfitters, hiker boxes, hostels, it's everywhere.

Images

Auto parts stores have it, as well as many hardware stores. But denatured alcohol burns almost as hot.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I hate using denatured alcohol, the stuff stinks to high heaven! I live in northern Wisconsin and can always find yellow HEET at Walmart, even in the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

People are different, for sure; DA (Klean-Strip or Sunnyside) doesn't bother me at all and neither does Esbit. Although if cooking in a vestibule it would have to be very well ventilated to use either one. The problem with DA is finding it in small amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    People are different, for sure; DA (Klean-Strip or Sunnyside) doesn't bother me at all and neither does Esbit. Although if cooking in a vestibule it would have to be very well ventilated to use either one. The problem with DA is finding it in small amounts.

The metal cans are not the most ultralight;0)
    thom

Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

>>Buy Here!!<<
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

[QUOTE=Gambit McCrae;2127714]Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

I believe it sells in Walmart for around $1.75 also.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

[QUOTE=greensleep;2127716]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Funny for this to come up, Just this morning I bought a case of the stuff from amazon. Free shipping and at 24 bottles a case, it came out to 1.75 a bottle. Much cheaper then your expensive gas stations, and a good bit cheaper then your average price gas stations. I see the stuff go for anywhere from about $2.20 to $4.80 a bottle.

I believe it sells in Walmart for around $1.75 also.
    Actually on sale with free two day shipping.
    4 packs at 5 dollars....1.25 each.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HEET-Gasl...mover/16408667

Yea Yea just saw that...Never can get ahead
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Denatured alcohol is very common and a lot of shuttlers and hostels will ample supply for sale.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I hate using denatured alcohol, the stuff stinks to high heaven! I live in northern Wisconsin and can always find yellow HEET at Walmart, even in the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Interesting.....anyone else find this? I buy Denatured in a quart can at the paint store. Zero smell (to me) when burning. Yellow HEET, also zero smell to me, when burning.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Interesting.....anyone else find this? I buy Denatured in a quart can at the paint store. Zero smell (to me) when burning. Yellow HEET, also zero smell to me, when burning.
    Nope. Never had a problem with odor with Heet, SLX, or Everclear.

Thanks for all the replies! I finally did find some. Was pretty cheap at a little over a dollar a bottle. As others have said, I'm sure that will go up in a gas station though.

Here is another quick question, do you normally let the stove burn out after you are finished or try to smother/ try to cut off the oxygen?

I like my Zelph Starlite stove. I can lay a piece of aluminum foil over it and it snuffs out. The Zelph has some wadding in it, so it will retain the left over fuel, comes with a little plastic lid, but it doesn't spill out unless you over fill it. The lid, just attempts to keep the fuel from evaporating. Trick is, know how much fuel you suspect you need for a boil and try and not put in more fuel than you need. That way, you get a boil and within a minute the stove just runs dry and goes out.

Don't try and "blow" out an Alcy stove....unless you want to see your camp shoes burn, your ziplock, the leaves around the area....
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

++ New Posts ++