WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Short Hike - out of gatlinburg

So my wife and I have two nights to get away while my Mom watches our kids. We are heading up Friday morning to stay in Gatlinburg and plan on doing a short day hike on Saturday. She wants to hike to a waterfall or some other "destination." Looking at options inside the GSMNP, there are almost too many options. So, do any of you guys have a suggestion for a short hike, a few miles out and back or a loop, where we could hike for a few hours and maybe nap in a hammock? (seems like hanging in the park may be frowned upon?) She doesn't want a long drive so closer to town, even with more congestion, is fine. Just looking for some ideas/places that you have been to recently, maybe post fire, that are good options for a day hike.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Backcountry Office
    865-436-1297

Call those guys and tell them what you want to do/see, how long a hike you want, and what your capabilities are and they can probably help. I like Mitch best, but they're all knowledgable.

Images

Easy enough---rainbow falls...

trailhead is right outside of town......

Journal Entries

In addition to Rainbow Falls, you could consider the Grotto Falls. Parking lot is just up the road from the Rainbow Falls parking.
    Or you could take 441 Newfound Gap Road from Gatlinburg up to Newfound Gap. From there you can hike and out-and-back either way on the AT. If you go north, Charlie's Bunion is about 8 miles round-trip.

G-FOURce and TNhiker, thank you. I will research Rainbow Falls and may call the Backcountry Office for more options. I was thinking about something out at cade's Cove but she said she didn't want to spend all day driving.

If you're looking for an enjoyable afternoon away from the crowds why not just park at the Sugarlands visitor center and hike the trail back into Gatlinburg? I think it's about two miles one way for a four mile trip and you'll hike mostly along the stream passing a couple of old chimneys along the way. The path is flat and really enjoyable, I've hiked it many times and never tire of it.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Baskins creek has a waterfall. Off motor nature trail. Only takes an hour or so round trip.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you are taking a car to Newfound Gap, you can head northbound to Charlie's Bunyon which is a popular spot with very pretty views. It isn't as exciting as a waterfall, but well worth the 8 mile round trip hike.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Grotto Falls parking area is not accessible, Roaring Fork Loop is closed for winter, you would have to hike in from the Rainbow Falls Parking area, which adds several miles each way. Rainbow Falls, Baskins Creek, and Gatlinburg trails were all affected by the November wildfires. These are all very nice hikes with good waterfalls that were not touched by the fires. However, the hikes in and out are through some rather scorched forest. If you want an untouched area with a Falls, and don't mind big crowds, then Laurel Falls is your solution. Only a few miles outside Gatlinburg and a paved trail to boot! Not one I normally recommend, but the only one near Gburg that was not on a trail affected by fire. Have a wonderful trip, wherever you end up hiking!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you want to see a water fall, IMHO the best waterfall is Abrams Falls. It does involve the drive out to and thru Cades Cove, but I think it is worth it. The waterfall is about 2 miles from the trailhead.

Clingmans Dome - the highest point in Tennessee

event_49017801.jpeg

Hitch
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you want to see a water fall, IMHO the best waterfall is Abrams Falls. It does involve the drive out to and thru Cades Cove, but I think it is worth it. The waterfall is about 2 miles from the trailhead.
    Abrams Falls is a great place. When I was younger, we camped at Cade's Cove Campground several times and visited the falls a few times. I love it out there but as mentioned, this is a short trip, and we really only have one day so she didn't want to drive out to Cade's Cove on this trip. I love going out there but I told her we would stay close to town if at all possible. We both love to hike but she wants a simple hike, relaxing on this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by H I T C H View Post
    Clingmans Dome - the highest point in Tennessee

event_49017801.jpeg

Hitch
    This is one I haven't been to ( I don't think) and watched a video on YouTube last night where an AT thru-hiker visited it. It was windy and cold when he visited in late March. It might be a good idea now since the weather has been so mild lately and the highs in the Gatlinburg area will be near 70 on Saturday.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I told her last night that we would do Rainbow Falls and she was excited. That looks like where we will go and may see if another spur trail or additional mileage is in the cards.

Images

The road to clingmans should still be closed for the season so you wouldn't be able to get there minus a 14 mile hike....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pondjumpr View Post
    ...Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I told her last night that we would do Rainbow Falls and she was excited. That looks like where we will go and may see if another spur trail or additional mileage is in the cards.

In case you're thinking of a loop with Rainbow Falls and Bullhead Trails, be sure to double-check with the park's backcountry office at 865-436-1297. As recently as about 10 days ago, the Bullhead Trail was still closed due to fire damage.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

While no "water fall"... what has long been considered one of the best hikes in the Smokies is Alum Cave Trail. The 1st mile... mile and a half is along a beautiful creek. As you near the end of the creek, you get to walk thru Arch Rock... where the path follows a new stair case created of rock right thru this large hole in a rock. Walk about another 3/4 mile and you start to come out at an area with some views known as 'Inspiration Point'. Shortly after that is the Alum Cave Bluffs... a HUGE over-hang (so not quite a cave) that is a good turn-around spot. Total distance is about 5 miles. It's extremely popular, so the earlier in the day you can get to the trail head, the better your chances of finding a reasonable parking spot. The trail head is located about 2/3 the way up 441 to New Found Gap.

One of my family's favorite hikes is the Middle Prong Trail. There is a beautiful high cascade early on in the trail with great views. Then the trail takes a turn up the mountain and follows the thundering creek. The trail offers many places to play on boulders, and lots of good places to sit and watch the creek tumble by. I have hiked this many times with my wife and kids, my parents, and my wife's parents. It really is a wonderful trail.

The trail is 2.3 miles long, but you can make it as long or as short as you want to since the cascade is close to the trailhead.

The Middle Prong Trail is located off of Little River Road near Townsend. Turn off of Little River Road at The Great Smoky Mountain Institute at Tremont and follow the road up to the Middle Prong Trailhead.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check the website some trails might still be closed.

Rainbow Falls is the most accessible trailhead and hike up LeConte.

Laurel Falls is an quick easy walk.

Charles Bunion
    Alum Cave
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

We ended up doing the Rainbow Falls trail on Saturday. We got up there too late on Friday to do a very long hike.

That was a fairly strenuous hike and while neither my wife or I had any issues, I was amazed to see so many people (clueless) hiking with zero supplies. No pack, no water . We passed one couple on our way down, at about the halfway mark... they seemed to be in decent shape but they had zero water, not even a water bottle, and still had several hours to go. I imagine they had 45 minutes to the falls and another hour to an hour and a half back down. Lots of school aged kids with only one small 1/2 liter bottle or none at all. I'm sure they were fine, I am just not sure why you would walk beyond sight of your car without at least a bottle of water.

We each took a standard daypack with hydration bladders, one extra .5L bottle, food, etc. I know we were a little overkill but they were calling for rain Saturday and I was just amazed at how many people were hiking, more than a mile off the trailhead, with little or no supplies. I guess I haven't done a trail to close to town in a while and was just shocked. I am not sure why anything surprises me these days.

Anyways.... it was a great, fun hike with a great view once we got to the waterfall. Thanks to those who suggested it. It was great exercise and allowed us to hike a good moderate distance without spending all day on the trail. We even had time for a short nap once we got back to the hotel room.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0879654667.jpg
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...21665ad4e6.jpg
    Most pictures were on my wife's phone. Lots of fire damage up there. Hopefully we will see lots of recovery this Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++