WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trail Crews

Default Trail Crews

I'm thinking about volunteering for a trail crew in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness working near Lake Ann and the Three Apostles which is scheduled at the end of June. There is another crew that sounds better (building brand new trail on the other side of Lake Ann Pass) but it is in mid-late August and kind of conflicts with my plans to hike from the Mt. Langley area (south of Mt. Whitney) to Donner Pass on the PCT. Looking for opinions on what I might find/experience working on a trail crew at 11,500 feet in late June in Colorado ... want to give back after my CT thru and I loved that part of the CW, I don't mind really hard work, but kind of hesitate mainly b/c I'm thinking mosquitoes could be a problem. The other crew is in Late August which is possible but would be on my way out west and would push out my PCT section by a couple of weeks. Wanted to volunteer the last couple of years but it didn't work out so hoping to make something happen this year. Thanks!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

How did you find out about trail crews?

Thom

Images

Great workout, you'll acclimate quickly to the altitude. Probably no significant 'skeeters quite that early (late June) expect lots and lots of old snow, but obviously your trail work wouldn't be where there's still snowpack, unless spotty enough to work around or work through. Late June is generally spectacular, many times fairly stable (with respect to T-storms) weather, certainly more stable than August, statistically at least. In August you'll have thunderstorms or threat thereof virtually every day. August is one of my least favorite times in Colorado, we go elsewhere.

BTW, this August 21 is a total eclipse of the sun, but you have to go further north into OR/ID/WY to see it, assuming you're out west.

Also BTW, if you choose the August option, that would push your PCT section into September, IMHO the best time of year along that corridor. We're planning on giving the SHR a go this September.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    How did you find out about trail crews?

Thom
    Colorado Trail foundation brochure came in the mail yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Great workout, you'll acclimate quickly to the altitude. Probably no significant 'skeeters quite that early (late June) expect lots and lots of old snow, but obviously your trail work wouldn't be where there's still snowpack, unless spotty enough to work around or work through. Late June is generally spectacular, many times fairly stable (with respect to T-storms) weather, certainly more stable than August, statistically at least. In August you'll have thunderstorms or threat thereof virtually every day. August is one of my least favorite times in Colorado, we go elsewhere.
    Good to get your thoughts on late June regarding mosquitoes. I definitely noted the T storm activity on my CT thru - which was entirely in August. I think that a trip out to Colorado separate from my Aug/Sept plans in the Sierra probably works out better anyway. I'll send an email to the crew leader to get his thoughts.

The mosquito deal is a bit of a crap shoot, but as Rob says, there is often a dry period in June before the monsoons when they are less likely to be a issue.

Thank you for getting on a trail crew. They are really satisfying and most people enjoy them enough to come back again. Volunteers make it happen!
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

++ New Posts ++