WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shenandoah in October experiences

I'm planning a two week section from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap this coming October. Although I know I can (and have) looked online for information on weather & temp averages, I'm hoping some with experience in the Shenandoah at this time of year could share their experiences and observations of the weather (and anything else, for that matter.)

I have a WM 25* Sycamore, and plan on using light 150wt woolies (along with socks and fleece cap.) This is a very cozy set up for me into November here in Indiana, but I have no experience with mid-late autumn in the mountains.

Thanks for any information or guidance.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I love Shenandoah in the mid to late fall. Wonderful time to be there. Stunning fall colors, apples on the old trees, fewer people, good weather, what's not to love? The first nasty winter storm usually hits around Thanksgiving.

Images

Mid October is peak leaf peeper time, so there will plenty of people in the park, but most will be in their cars only pulling off at overlooks and waysides. The weather will be great for hiking, your bag should be fine. Here's a link to the facilities schedule: https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...g-schedule.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Mid October is peak leaf peeper time, so there will plenty of people in the park, but most will be in their cars only pulling off at overlooks and waysides.
    There are a lot of day hikers on weekends, but most are doing circuits and a few popular trails rather than point to point on the AT. Might be worth arranging your trip to not be in the most popular central section (between US 33 and US 211) on the weekend, but wouldn't be a big deal if you can't.

Thanks for the replies.

A question just occurred to me, and although I think my AWOL guide could answer, it is packed away in the garage while my house is being remodeled...so could anyone please indulge me and let me know: Where does a SOBO hiker pick up their park permit? I don't see anything on my Guthook app.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Hiking Shenandoah in October is both the best time and the worst in my opinion. The best in the fall foliage colors are delightful to see, the worst in the crowds and the noise of cars on the Skyline Drive.
    Temperatures from late September through October are trending cooler with nightly lows dancing around the mid-upper 30's, even lower closer to November. I've experienced mid 20's with heavy frost in October.
    If planning on using the lodges/cabins while in the park I'd get them reserved ASAP. As for the backcountry huts no reservation needed. A backcountry permit is free and can be picked up at the trailside kiosk.

The best trails in the park are the blue blaze trails that take you off the mundane AT to waterfalls and overlooks. A few loop hikes that might be worthwhile are Rip Rap/ Wildcat Ridge loop that would take no more than 4-5 hrs of your time to complete. White-Oak Canyon/ Old Rag circuit would be a more strenuous day hike.

If time is tight make sure to check out a few overlooks a short distance from the trail, both along the Skyline Drive itself and just off the trail.
    An easy one is Mary's Rock, a short 100 yds from the AT when you make the climb from Thornton Gap at mp 31. Hawksbill summit ,highest summit in the park can be reached from a blueblaze, offers near 360 degree view at 4,051 ft. Order the 3 section PATC SNP map set ; www.patc.net for more insight on the AT and SNP.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Great information, thanks!

I'm leaving Harper's Ferry the first week in October, and looking forward to the chance of seeing some of the best colors. I'm meeting family at Skyland the following week, and have already made reservations in anticipation of the fall crowd. I'm definitely hoping to get in some blue blaze & loop hikes; I've heard they are fantastic and we'll worth the time. I'm hoping my timeline & pace will allow me to do that.

fortis fortuna adjuvat

I was in Shenandoah in October two years ago during a hike from the Smokies to DC. Shenandoah was great, with surprisingly few people on the trail. One morning I saw more bears than people. Some of the stores and cafes were closed, but a few were still open; that's where the crowds were. Each night I was able to find a quiet legal place to camp a short way off the AT; you don't have to stay in the nasty shelters. The noise from the road didn't bother me much, and the autumn colors were beautiful. You are in for a treat.

Excellent news! I have planned my miles pretty much around the shelters, but have REALLY been hoping that I'll be able to find decent sites away from them.

fortis fortuna adjuvat

As you hike into he park you will walk by a kiosk that has permits for your use.once you hike up and over possums rest you'll see it. Fantastic time of year to be there

I hiked basically the same section you're planning from October 8-18 this past year, and while it's obviously variable, the weather was just about perfect for me - around 60 during the day and around 40 at night. I had a 20* quilt in my hammock and was fine. The leaves were not yet at their peak, however. They were starting to look good when I finished my trip, but I missed the peak by a week or so, I'd say. Still beautiful and lots of color, just not the deep colors I had hoped for. I saw a lot of day hikers, but not many other long distance hikers, which I found surprising. All of the waysides and camp stores in the park were still open for the season, so the resupply options were convenient. It was a great time to be on that section of trail. And you can't miss the permit kiosks, they're obvious.
    -tagg

Thank you. I should have known better about the kiosks...duh!

I figure that I'll be pretty far behind most of the SOBO's, but will see a fair number of other section hikers. I expect plenty of day or weekend hikers in the park, and that is one of the reasons I'm anxious to avoid camping at the shelters if possible.

fortis fortuna adjuvat

Here is the calendar for 2017. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...g-schedule.htm

A lot of areas will close the last weekend in October. Skyland stays open later.

I've lived in Front Royal for 6 years. I'm still amazed by the miles-long backup that occurs on weekends to get onto the Skyline Drive. Weather is usually very good in October, but be prepared for some cold nights (below freezing) by mid to late October.

Wonderful. Looks as though I couldn't be luckier in my timing (reservations made etc., including Skyland for the family.)

I'm planning on boarding the train for home in Staunton. Given all that I've read about the availability of shuttles to Waynesboro, I'm going to guess that catching a ride for 5 more miles shouldn't be a problem...but please let me know anything I should know about that.

fortis fortuna adjuvat

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    I love Shenandoah in the mid to late fall. Wonderful time to be there. Stunning fall colors, apples on the old trees, fewer people, good weather, what's not to love? The first nasty winter storm usually hits around Thanksgiving.

Our first section hike was in Shenandoah in November. It was cool, but not too cold.
    And yes, the apples! The apples are a wonderful surprise and a tasty treat. Sweet, juicy, tart. Don't worry about taking too many. There were hundreds, on the ground and in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    ...that is one of the reasons I'm anxious to avoid camping at the shelters if possible.
    That was my goal, too, but I found it more difficult than I thought it would be. If it was just me, I would have been fine to camp wherever because I sleep in a hammock. But finding an established site where my partner could pitch his tent away from the shelters wasn't always easy. They can be found, just not as frequently/easily as most of the thousand miles of AT south of there. We stayed at shelters about half the time in the park. I will say that a few of the shelters had designated tenting areas a little ways away from the actual shelter itself, and we were able to find reasonably secluded spots even when there were others at the shelter. Blackrock and bearfence mountain huts come to mind.
    -tagg

Journal Entries

Double post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-13-2017 at 17:17.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I'm planning a two week section from Harper's Ferry to Rockfish Gap this coming October. Although I know I can (and have) looked online for information on weather & temp averages, I'm hoping some with experience in the Shenandoah at this time of year could share their experiences and observations of the weather (and anything else, for that matter.)

I have a WM 25* Sycamore, and plan on using light 150wt woolies (along with socks and fleece cap.) This is a very cozy set up for me into November here in Indiana, but I have no experience with mid-late autumn in the mountains.

Thanks for any information or guidance.
    To put in perspective, much of last oct. It was 75- 85 in day, and 60- 65 at night..... You will have a good idea a few days before..if lucky.

Thanks. That helps me avoid some "just-in-case" stuff.

(Watch -- this will be the year of the next Big Scary Snowpocalypse....)

fortis fortuna adjuvat

Did that section the end of last October and was disappointed in how green it still was. I know the peak colors vary from year to year, but last year was very late. The weather was almost too warm but your right this just might be a different year. We tented along the way and really didn't have any trouble... just have to look a little harder and not be so picky... happy trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++