WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Unhappy Another one of Those, Gear Check Please!

Hey y'all, I would be greatly obliged to hear y'all's thoughts on my gear/weight! Wanting to make sure I am not overlooking anything or if I can cut weight anywhere. I am by no means ultralight, however I do have a goal to keep my total pack weight under 30lbs. Though this might not be doable at the beginning with my cold weather gear. My base weight without cold weather gear is 13.96lbs, 15.74 with.

The list: https://lighterpack.com/r/8p51xk (note I did not list the gear I will be wearing)

I already know I could cut weight with a better shelter, but planning to stick with what I have for cost effectiveness.

I am fairly experienced in the backpacking realm, though my longest trips have only been a week so thru hiking is a new beast. I was previously a manager at a specialty outdoor shop so I'm pretty well versed in outdoor gear. Unfortunately they went belly up this year and declared bankruptcy started a new job this month in an office cubicle sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day and just not sure I'm cut out for that life.

Considering hitting the AT NOBO mid April and hitting the halfway point before hoping off to start another job. I have been gleaning from WB since 2015, very much appreciative of the wealth of knowledge found hear!

Images

May want to rethink wearing contacts on a long distance hike. Hygiene is difficult at best, and I have a friend that had a hike ending infection last year from wearing contacts. I wear my glasses on long hikes.

I would strongly encourage you to guesstimate the days between resupply and take an adequate amount of toilet paper to take care of things, so to speak. Or just splurge and carry a roll.

That is something I've been considering. I was planning on using the extended wear contacts that you can sleep in for multiple days. When I need to swap them out I'll do it in town where I can wash up.

I've backpacked with glasses before and it was a pain, but that was due to the glasses being too big and always falling off. Might just need to find a better pair.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I would strongly encourage you to guesstimate the days between resupply and take an adequate amount of toilet paper to take care of things, so to speak. Or just splurge and carry a roll.
    Definitely overlooked that aspect haha, duly noted.

Since you are in cost savings mode, don't worry about your pack or tent, they are what they are.

I wonder about the need for an almost 1 pound liner for a 25 degree bag? If things get desperate after 25 degrees in that warm tent(!) you can always put on your Puffer and FroggToggs. I would omit that weight, with a good 25 degree bag, for sure.

I don't see a hat, sunglasses, knife, sunblock, chapstick, baby wipes/hygiene, duct tape or.....a compass....

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Since you are in cost savings mode, don't worry about your pack or tent, they are what they are.

I wonder about the need for an almost 1 pound liner for a 25 degree bag? If things get desperate after 25 degrees in that warm tent(!) you can always put on your Puffer and FroggToggs. I would omit that weight, with a good 25 degree bag, for sure.

I don't see a hat, sunglasses, knife, sunblock, chapstick, baby wipes/hygiene, duct tape or.....a compass....
    Good advice ScareBear, I will probably forego the liner, just not sure what to expect temp wise yet in April, though I agree it is doubtful I would need it. I will probably have it sent in the warmer months and swap it with my sleeping bag.

Compass is on my watch, debating on sunglasses.

I have a huge head... always looking for the right hat but haven't found one yet.

I am debating sunblock, I usually hike long sleeves/pants with a visor.

Baby wipes need to be added, I have a pocket knife but will probably pick up a cheapo one from Walmart and leave the Benchmade at home.

Thank you again for the input, I will be making some adjustments.

Take a look at...shudder....this multitool. Just remember, it is made by Gerber, not the DumbBear...

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Grylls...act+multi-tool

You will need the sunblock for your nose and cheekbones, at least...

And, IIRC, you can get a sunblock that doubles as lip balm...

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/oc...3-81aac1789400

When you get out there, you will know what you'll need and what you don't. Everyone is so different in what they need to be comfortable, but Neel's Gap has an excellent shake down service.
    Here is what I never used on your list:
    Sunglasses-trees provide shelter from the sun. The only time I got a little burned was in town and learned to wear my Buff on my head. Sent mine home along with sunscreen.
    Compass-Guthook's Guide is awesome as an alternative. I put that on my phone and only carried bits of the hard copy AWOL guide. It is very hard to get lost, and every time I questioned if I was going the right direction, etc., I would turn on my Guthook's App.
    Get Darn Toughs (three pairs and use one for only sleeping)-I wore through my Smartwool's the first week and had to replace at Neels Gap.
    Instead of using bug spray, consider using Insect Shield on your clothing. Either way, you won't need bug spray until it starts to get warmer. You can read about this here: http://www.insectshield.com/ I wore long sleeve synthetics, even in summer. That way, I didn't have issues with ticks (Lyme Disease), mosquitoes, sun exposure, and I didn't have to worry about permethrin treatments while I was out there.
    Liner might be good for when it gets warmer, because you may burn up in a 25 degree bag. Perhaps, have it sent at a later date. Towel, brush, footprint are all things I sent home.
    I added a lightweight pillow back-I tried to sleep with my puffy in a stuff sack, but it was miserable for me after awhile. I added ear plugs (particularly useful at the beginning with the hoards). I added a charger for when my phone ran out of batteries. I decided to pick up a hydration hose. I preferred a Buff, as opposed to any hats-more uses in one item. Again, these are the things you will probably learn when you're out there, and everybody's a little different.
    So exited for you! Have a blast!!

The long range forecasts shows significantly warmer then average temps for the south this spring. Here is it mid February and there isn't a whole lot of cold air anywhere. It's going to be in the 40's here in Northern NH all week - this is crazy.

I'm headed for Springer in mid April myself and bringing a 40 degree bag. I'll bring a liner too, just because it is handy when I use my bag like a quilt or if there is a cold night or two.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KTX View Post
    That is something I've been considering. I was planning on using the extended wear contacts that you can sleep in for multiple days. When I need to swap them out I'll do it in town where I can wash up.

I've backpacked with glasses before and it was a pain, but that was due to the glasses being too big and always falling off. Might just need to find a better pair.
    Personal choice, of course, but I've been hiking with contacts for nearly fifty years without issue. (The number of years continues to astonish me!) Washing up really isn't as hard as folks make it. I made a little wash basin out of the bottom of a milk jug. A couple of cups of water are enough, with just a little soap to get the skin oils off my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout78 View Post
    When you get out there, you will know what you'll need and what you don't. Everyone is so different in what they need to be comfortable, but Neel's Gap has an excellent shake down service.
    Here is what I never used on your list:
    Sunglasses-trees provide shelter from the sun. The only time I got a little burned was in town and learned to wear my Buff on my head. Sent mine home along with sunscreen.
    Compass-Guthook's Guide is awesome as an alternative. I put that on my phone and only carried bits of the hard copy AWOL guide. It is very hard to get lost, and every time I questioned if I was going the right direction, etc., I would turn on my Guthook's App.
    Get Darn Toughs (three pairs and use one for only sleeping)-I wore through my Smartwool's the first week and had to replace at Neels Gap.
    Instead of using bug spray, consider using Insect Shield on your clothing. Either way, you won't need bug spray until it starts to get warmer. You can read about this here: http://www.insectshield.com/ I wore long sleeve synthetics, even in summer. That way, I didn't have issues with ticks (Lyme Disease), mosquitoes, sun exposure, and I didn't have to worry about permethrin treatments while I was out there.
    Liner might be good for when it gets warmer, because you may burn up in a 25 degree bag. Perhaps, have it sent at a later date. Towel, brush, footprint are all things I sent home.
    I added a lightweight pillow back-I tried to sleep with my puffy in a stuff sack, but it was miserable for me after awhile. I added ear plugs (particularly useful at the beginning with the hoards). I added a charger for when my phone ran out of batteries. I decided to pick up a hydration hose. I preferred a Buff, as opposed to any hats-more uses in one item. Again, these are the things you will probably learn when you're out there, and everybody's a little different.
    So exited for you! Have a blast!!
    Thanks Sprout, all good advice, on the backpacking trips I've taken I usually opt for long sleeves and pants for the reasons you listed. I'll have my liner sent once the temps warm up and my bag can be switched out. Good call on the socks, I've already got a bunch of Smartwools, planning to wear them through and switch over to Darn Toughs.

I think I am just about all set with my gear and hit my goal weight of sub 30lbds, sitting at 29.5 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Personal choice, of course, but I've been hiking with contacts for nearly fifty years without issue. (The number of years continues to astonish me!) Washing up really isn't as hard as folks make it. I made a little wash basin out of the bottom of a milk jug. A couple of cups of water are enough, with just a little soap to get the skin oils off my hands.
    Good to hear! I'll be taking some shakedown trips to get everything situated, not expecting my contacts to be much of an issue.

++ New Posts ++