WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Glove shells

Default Glove shells

What do you guys use for glove shells? I have been looking for something light weight and waterprood, dont really need insulation as that will come from liners.

All I have found is mittens, or gloves with insulation.

The North Face makes some running glove shells that they sell along with the liners.
    I've used surgical gloves, but they don't hold up very well at all.
    I personally use shell mitts instead of gloves because they can provide a little more warmth, allow a wider range of glove thicknesses to work inside of them, and I can always pull my hands out of the mitten shells if I need dexterity.

Good luck and have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Mountain Laurel Designs and ZPacks make ultralight shell mittens. I bought the MLD for cold rainy weather.

Images

The Zpacks shell mittens work pretty well. I don't know where you'll find taped waterproof gloves as they are more difficult to make.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Zpacks shell mittens work pretty well. I don't know where you'll find taped waterproof gloves as they are more difficult to make.
    REI, that's where. REI now sells an eVent mitt shell. Fully seam taped/sealed. I tried it on. It is short in the gauntlet. Too short for me. Plus, the interior space was a bit limited for a bulky liner glove/mitt. And, it uses a velcro wrist strap for tightening, instead of an adjustable elastic pull cord and toggle. That said, it is half the price of the eVent mitt shell's from the cottage mfr's. If they made the gauntlet a full 1.5 or 2 inches longer for the same price and lost the velcro, they would have winner. As it is now....it won't work for my purposes, but YMMV...

https://www.rei.com/product/100626/r...rproof-mittens

You really want mitten shells. I have used to have a pair made for ice climbing which were really nice in the winter, but I wore them out. I now have a pair made by a local outfit, Ragged Mountain, but I don't think they sell much on line, you need to go to their retail store here in NH so that's not a good option for you.

Or you can make a pair. I had some sil nylon and had a friend with a sewing machine stitch them together for me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I bought a pair of Marmot Precip shell mitts and removed the insulation layer to create a true shell. It was easy to do and the end result was exactly what I had been looking for prior to deciding on a DIY approach.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Water-R...6VB283NP3ME6JC

i use these . cut off the part that goes up the arm. 2.5 oz .

Thom

I can't find the North Face gloves I was thinking of. But, these are close to shells and look pretty awesome.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/plas...rproof&start=0
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I can't find the North Face gloves I was thinking of. But, these are close to shells and look pretty awesome.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/plas...rproof&start=0
    For me, again the gauntlet is too short and Velcro is the method of tightening the gauntlet. I can see a use for this glove in my quiver, but not for hiking...YMMV...

I've got an old pair of LoweAlpine mitt shells and glove shells...I doubt the DWR is any good at this point, but maybe I'll give them a good treatment and a try out...they are probably....25 years old? Long gauntlets and elastic and toggle for tightening the gauntlet to the forearm...both were originally made for ice climbing in the day....

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    https://www.amazon.cIom/Swiss-Water-...6VB283NP3ME6JC

i use these . cut off the part that goes up the arm. 2.5 oz .

Thom
    The price is definitely right, but how are they in the rain?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drapac View Post
    The price is definitely right, but how are they in the rain?
    The description says they're water resistant, not water proof...I would think they might wet out in a hard rain.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

++ New Posts ++