WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Section Hike Between Buena Vista and Rockfish Gap Question

I am planning a section hike on the AT between Rockfish Gap and Buena Vista. Our plan is to do southward slackpack over a couple of days to the Tye River, then jump south back to Buena Vista and hike north over The Priest and back to Tye River. Question is: how best to slack the distance over The Priest? I see a FS Road 246 (if it's open) that we could possibly park a car and hike to which would make one day around 10 miles, then go back and hike on out over the Priest to Tye River making the next day 15.7 miles. Is there another alternative hiking plan for slacking this section?

If needed we can always backpack to Seely Woodworth and then on out the next day. Just trying to make sure it's not slackable! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyofthewoods View Post
    I am planning a section hike on the AT between Rockfish Gap and Buena Vista. Our plan is to do southward slackpack over a couple of days to the Tye River, then jump south back to Buena Vista and hike north over The Priest and back to Tye River. Question is: how best to slack the distance over The Priest? I see a FS Road 246 (if it's open) that we could possibly park a car and hike to which would make one day around 10 miles, then go back and hike on out over the Priest to Tye River making the next day 15.7 miles. Is there another alternative hiking plan for slacking this section?

If needed we can always backpack to Seely Woodworth and then on out the next day. Just trying to make sure it's not slackable! Thanks!
    That doesn't sound like a terrible plan. Your first day will be harder mile for mile from US60. 2,000 ft up bald knob, back down, 1,000 more up cole (or cold...) mountain. You don't actually climb the priest that much going north. On the way down the priest to the tye, it starts a little steep and rocky but gets a bit easier after 1,000 ft or so. You could see about a car shuttle from US60 to the 246 if that's open. You could call the three springs hostel. They might not be opening this year (rumor?), but they may shuttle still for you. They are located right near hog camp gap

Images

Deer Hunter, a member here might be available to shuttle you at the Rt.60 trailhead. He lives nearby in Buena Vista.
    Send him a private message . Members list is on the above header under "Odds & Ends" .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Thanks so much for the info.

Scout

++ New Posts ++