WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertised weights are proving to be very misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Richard View Post
    Advertised weights for pads never include the stuff sack or repair kit...just sayin...

Tent weights often do not include the weight of the stuff sacks, guy lines and stakes...again, just sayin...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Some observations:

- 30 degree quilt might not be warm enough in March - expect temps lower than freezing on more than one occasion
    I sleep really hot
    DON'T get fooled by AVERAGE temperatures when preparing for a hike. It's the MEDIAN lows you need to prepare for - and then have a plan such as wearing extra insulating clothing if you get caught in a cold snap.

For example: At 8 - 12 miles per day, you'll likely reach GSMNP by the second or third week of your hike. In early April when the coldest temps of the month occur. Here's some real world temps from Mt LeConte (GSMNP, 6593' elevation) for April temperatures over the past 29 years.

Average April low (average of all daily low temperatures for April). This includes many warm overnight lows at the end of the month: Approximately 32°F. For reference, the April average low for Gatlinburg, 1454' elev, is 42°F, which corresponds with orographic cooling due to elevation.

MEDIAN
    April low (as many temps above as below): 13°F (range 1°F to 23°F) You should expect to encounter temps at least a few times around this median value somewhere in the southern Appalachians with a March start and early April entry into the higher elevations in GSMNP. Note this is almost 20°F lower than the average low.

Lowest April temp: 1°F (2007) This is the record low for the period 1988-2016, which you could but likely won't encounter.

Warmest April low: 23°F (1991) Even in the warmest year, at some point it's really going to be 10°F colder than the average low.

The trend is somewhat warmer over the last 10 years, with the median April low around 16°F.

Pad should weigh 27 oz according to rei but weighs in at 31.8 oz
    It's a large neoair prolite
    I also have a small and it's supposed to weigh 14 oz but weighs 17 oz on kitchen scale.
    Several factors:
    1) Advertised weights are usually without stuff sacks, tags, repair kits, etc.
    2) Manufacturing variances and tolerances. Material weights can vary by the lots supplied to manufacturer.
    3) Is your scale calibrated? Quarters weigh 5.67 grams each. A roll of 40 quarters weighs just about exactly 1/2 lb (226.8 grams). A gallon of milk or water, about 8.6 lbs plus the tare weight of the container (a few ounces).
    4) Some manufacturers may be advertising the most optimistic weight of a single item, some the actual post manufacturing average. Variance - AND MARKETING.
    5) Items like clothing and sleeping bags often weigh a bit more after use due to absorbing moisture and dirt.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

-4eyedbuzzard
    Thank you for all the great input. I did check my scales calibration and it's pretty close had a quarter at 6 grams.

I have the women's thermarest at 17oz just my ankles down hang off and my arms over the side when laying flat but I'm a side sleeper so I fit that way. I also have a 20* ee quilt but it's short and only comes upto my armpits when laying flat and top of my shoulders while on my side. I'm about 5'11" 200 lbs ok shape.

The question in that is, should I bring both the 30* and 20* or just the 20* because I can throw on my hooded puffy to make up for shortness if I need to?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++