Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

If anyone is interested I made a pull-able backpack thread in the gear thread so I no longer have to talk about it here. All it takes is a couple lawnmower tires and an external frame backpack to make it so you can pull instead of carry your gear for most of the PTC.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...81#post2126281

In many ways thruhiking is the worst way to hike the trail. Someone doesn't want to hike the Sierra when it is snowed in, so they start in late May. Now they are hiking in Southern California through temperatures hitting 100 degrees in many spots. You end up hiking sections at the wrong time of year more often than not.

And what's the big deal? It's just connecting a series of short backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineKevin View Post
    If anyone is interested I made a pull-able backpack thread in the gear thread so I no longer have to talk about it here. All it takes is a couple lawnmower tires and an external frame backpack to make it so you can pull instead of carry your gear for most of the PTC.

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...81#post2126281
    haha you made some people in that thread go full retard, you mentioned the word wheel and people started seeing red

how dare you offend their delicate sensibilities

Yeah. A wilderness area is delicate. That's why no wheels. Nobody on the AT or PCT gets to use wheels, so it seems easy enough to understand. There are trails for wheels. The PCT and ACT are not those trails. Sorry if that offends anyone's delicate sensibilities.

Back to the concept. It's been done. In every variation you propose. In the end, it is epic fail. How can you tell? Because there isn't a commercially available option. Why? Because of no demand because it doesn't work for your purpose. But, feel free to be Mr. Wizard and invent the next big thing in backpacking...post pics...

Have any of Y'all seen what horses do to trails? I know that Mags has and tried repairing the destruction.
    Meanwhile the misguided protectors of the Holy Wilderness refuse to allow machinery in Wilderness Areas to repair damage to the trails or replace bridges that could potentially save a life or 3.
    But the Safety Police still caution us about using a hairdryer in the shower.
    Mumble. Grumble.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

With the way the snow is still coming down the type of carrying gear is a mute point anyways. Getting closer and closer to a canceled trip.... I'm hoping for a late March or April heat wave.

Imma buy a pack of cigarettes and hope for the best. Cya in Canada

Images

I don't think some of you guys like to actually backpack. In fact, Malto is quick. I met him in the Shenandoah one year, zoom.... and he's gone!
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    haha you made some people in that thread go full retard, you mentioned the word wheel and people started seeing red

how dare you offend their delicate sensibilities
    One more time.
    Saved by the delete key on the iMac.
    There's a word you don't see very often anymore.
    Y'all have fun! 4'-6' of new snow in the next week according to the Weather Guessers. The Paradise Cafe has snow according to Postholer.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Yeah, where's the PC police when ya need them?

Mammoth got almost 3 more feet the last 24 hours with another foot expected. In addition it looks like they are going to get drilled again at the end of next week with a week long storm. Not good

That would be the forecast I mentioned earlier in the week. Approximately a week of snow.
    Seems like even flipping and flopping won't be an option.
    The east west trail across Oregon? The Arizona Trail? The CDT in New Mexico?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Let's face it. It WILL BE either a very high snow year or a record snow year. Early starters will face load of snow day after day if they don't wait at KM. Some really early starters will face "who knows what" condition after KM.

Early May starters like me will face loads of snow and dangerous streams and marginally hot desert section . Mid May starters will face hot desert section and better JMT experience but still snowy for many tastes. Late May will have hottest desert experience and better than others JMT but still high streams.

I was going to switch my May 21 permit to a May 15 one but now I think I may keep May 21 (if I go at all).

I have no clue what the April people are thinking. They will either need to do 10 miles a day or they will need to make KM their home for a month or two.

Images

I was going to switch my May 21 permit to a May 15 one but now I think I may keep May 21 (if I go at all).

I have no clue what the April people are thinking. They will either need to do 10 miles a day or they will need to make KM their home for a month or two.
    I was very surprised when April was filled so fast. It kind of scared me to see people are opting for April. Either they are forced to , or very high level hikers or kind of clueless /adventurer/ risk takers.

I'll give you the reason why I am starting April 29. It was always my plan to skip part of the sierras, since I am returning to hike the Muir with my father this year. I wanted to get off at Whitney Portal and skip to Lyell Canyon, but it looks like I will need to skip more of the sierras than originally planned. I need to be ready to go south on the Muir by September 4th, I really want to end at Whitney. I think that people starting at the same time as me will have to adopt a similar flip flop itinerary, or get off trail/hang out at KM.

GAME 06

Just a little update.

Check this article out from the Weather Channel. Too much good stuff in it to copy and paste...but WOW!

https://weather.com/forecast/regiona...recast-feb2017

And note that none of that includes what is happening today and tomorrow which is another 2+ ft of snow up high and several inches more rain today and tomorrow down low. One ski resort in CA went over 500" for the year yesterday and Mamouth has 350" at the summit. It is looking like this year will beat 82-83 as the wettest year in history for the Northern Sierra.

GAME 06

I note that the Postholer snow site says that as of the 19th the PCT trail snow depths was 235% of normal. And there is going to be 2-4 ft of snow added over the next 2 days in some areas.

The CDT in Colo is at about 150% of normal for this date. What a year.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I'll give you the reason why I am starting April 29. It was always my plan to skip part of the sierras, since I am returning to hike the Muir with my father this year. I wanted to get off at Whitney Portal and skip to Lyell Canyon, but it looks like I will need to skip more of the sierras than originally planned. I need to be ready to go south on the Muir by September 4th, I really want to end at Whitney. I think that people starting at the same time as me will have to adopt a similar flip flop itinerary, or get off trail/hang out at KM.
    Not to rain on your parade, but have you thought about where you're going to flip to in June when, I assume, you get to KM? There will probably still be too much snow to hike in the Cascades. Norcal won't be much better. In '09, we had a somewhat above average snow year, and some folks tried to flip up to Tahoe from KM in June. There was even more snow there. I think almost all of them ended up getting off the trail for good or coming back to KM after a bit.

Images

You will be flipping from the pot into the frying pan. Contrary to what many think, you have the potential for snow anywhere north of KM with the possible exception of Hat Creek Rim and North out of Cascade locks. Each of those section will be about 50 miles. It's not just about snow in the Sierra, in fact, I found some sections north of the Sierra much more difficult than the Sierra. The area around Shale Lake and also just south of Crater Lake, both in Oregon as well as the section just north of I-80 were character builders. You would be heading into each of those areas much earlier than I did unless you choose to hole up somewhere for a few weeks.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++