WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One item to think about with the velcro: If you plan on a long hike, say over 500 miles. You will have to get some new shoes and that means new velcro. Just be aware.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    One item to think about with the velcro: If you plan on a long hike, say over 500 miles. You will have to get some new shoes and that means new velcro. Just be aware.
    We usually carry 4-6 extra 1" long pieces in the repair kit for that purpose. Important: The adhesive on the velcro really does need a day to set up well or you'll just pull it back off. Try to plan a zero day around getting new shoes and apply the new velcro right away so it has time to set before use.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hmm, I've tried Dirty Girls.
    love my dirty girls...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I love dirty girls!!
    Oh wait! My bad we are talking about gaiters....

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    We usually carry 4-6 extra 1" long pieces in the repair kit for that purpose. Important: The adhesive on the velcro really does need a day to set up well or you'll just pull it back off. Try to plan a zero day around getting new shoes and apply the new velcro right away so it has time to set before use.
    Hey guys, long time lurker and finally registered.

Another tip with the Velcro--"round" the edges off the strip before you attach it to the shoe. The rounded corners are less likely to get caught on things and should help it stay on longer.

Learned that a few years ago with the military and it works pretty darn well.

Quote Originally Posted by billpete View Post
    Hey guys, long time lurker and finally registered.

Another tip with the Velcro--"round" the edges off the strip before you attach it to the shoe. The rounded corners are less likely to get caught on things and should help it stay on longer.

Learned that a few years ago with the military and it works pretty darn well.
    Great tip. I glued mine on with gorilla glue.
    Welcome to WB and thank you for your service.

Recently I started wearing compression leggings under my convertible pants (with or without the zip off pant legs), initially to help keep ticks out, but now just because they are so comfortable...especially if it is raining.

Curious how high up the calf the DG gaiters go since most of my leggings are above the ankle bone. A tight, high ankle would be best to seal off the legs.

I would love to have stirrups on the leggings to keep them as low as possible, but have yet to find a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Recently I started wearing compression leggings under my convertible pants (with or without the zip off pant legs), initially to help keep ticks out, but now just because they are so comfortable...especially if it is raining.

Curious how high up the calf the DG gaiters go since most of my leggings are above the ankle bone. A tight, high ankle would be best to seal off the legs.

I would love to have stirrups on the leggings to keep them as low as possible, but have yet to find a pair.
    My DG gaiters come just above the ankle bone and sit about the same place as my sock. Not the greatest picture:

Well, we now know Dune Elliot is a trail fashionista. Wearing a red wig with that ensemble Ronald? You're scaring the wildlife.

Images

I have been known to say some not very nice words about the Velcro strip for the Dirty Girls, but hope springs eternal. Last season I wound up duct-taping the darn thing to my shoe. That was after the super-glue I brought to re-fasten it opened in my pack (different story). I'll follow some of the suggestions here for getting a better fit, and making the Velcro stay on longer.

Shoe goo is awesome for sticking the velcro to the back of shoes. Much better than the adhesive.

I just looked at my trail shoes.. Salewa Firetails and VivoBarefoot trail runners, and neither have flat spots on the heel cup. Just how flat do they have to be for the velcro to adhere?

Also thinking about the velcro.. It looks like the hook side is what gets applied to shoe and the loop side is sewn into the gaiter. Is this correct? That would like a design flaw. Doesn't the hook side pick up all kind of free-loading debris when there is no gaiter attached to it? Wouldn't it be better to put the hook side on the gaiter and loop side on the shoe?

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    My DG gaiters come just above the ankle bone and sit about the same place as my sock. Not the greatest picture:

LOL!
    Should I lead? Grinning.
    I need to start logging serious workouts in the morning.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well, we now know Dune Elliot is a trail fashionista. Wearing a red wig with that ensemble Ronald? You're scaring the wildlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    LOL!
    Should I lead? Grinning.
    I need to start logging serious workouts in the morning.
    Wayne
    You guys just think you're hilarious!!!

I actually picked the pants because they were the most hideous things I could find (and were comfortable). They definitely attract the bees.
    You'll never lose me on the trail...unless I'm in the middle of a field of wildflowers!

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post

Those look just like my gf's dirty Girls

I made a pair of gaiters very similar to dirty girls with velcro, fish hooks, and a stretchy book cover and have had good results. Didnt want to pay for something I could easily make myself. Me and a friend call them "Fancy Cats" because of the ears left over from the bookcover shape. Cost about $2 in materials and made during a rainy afternoon in a hostel.IMAG0881.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Those look just like my gf's dirty Girls
    I went to buy a new pair...sadly they don't seem to carry this pattern any more

I guess I should bring my camouflage rain jacket.

Do you think we'll keep the bears away?
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I guess I should bring my camouflage rain jacket.

Do you think we'll keep the bears away?
    Wayne

Ha ha...probably!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++