WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Addis Gap (North of Unicoi Gap in GA)

Google Maps shows a "Wildcat Road" going up to the AT at Addis Gap. Has anyone ever driven up there? Can you park there?

My wife and I are trying to shorten the 16 mile leap between Unicoi and Dick's Creek. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I believe that it is gated a few miles down the "road". I'm sure someone will confirm that shortly.

El Sordo
    Images

You can get within about a mile of Addis Gap from either side. Parking is not great if you want to leave your car there, but it is possible.
    Dyslexics Untie!

That road used to be open all the way to Addis Gap, where there was an AT shelter. There are some pretty harrowing stories of local beer drinking hooligans taking over the shelter. The shelter is long gone and the road is gated about one mile down from the gap. The gap is a nicely level area that is good for tent camping. The water source is down the old forest service road about ten minutes to a stream.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I was stranded in the old Addis Gap shelter in April 1975 in an ice storm.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Last May(2016)I walked from Addis Gap east down the old forest road to the gate, maybe 1/2 mile to a mile and then a few miles beyond to catch a ride. It was a Friday evening. There are numerous campsites along the road and the farther I went, the more campers I ran into. However, I didn't see any campers until I was at least 2 miles from Addis Gap. Yes, you can park at the gate. I think the drive is some 10 miles off the St Rd(blacktop) to get to the gate, mostly gravel but well maintained.

I was wondering the same thing the other day. I want to try to day hike and finish up Georgia and in my current shape I'd kinda like to have a bailout point just in case.
    I may never get to thru hike but I'll never get through hiking.

++ New Posts ++