WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Appalachian market

I note that Appalachian Market right on the AT just south of Graymoor is no longer listed in AWOL's guide, or another place I checked. It appears to still be open. I stopped there on my 15 hike and enjoyed some pretty good eggplant dishes, ice cream, and other reasonable cooked foods. The lush bathroom with TV and palm tree was not to be missed either. Anybody know what the scoop is?
    Trail name Catnapper

I was there last year, I doubt they are going away. Busy little place. Expensive though, I dropped at least $100 there and paid 99 cents for one Rama noodle pack (which I never did actually eat)!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If it's this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Appal...69566893059960

There is a posting from Friday 2/3 with specials, so it looks to still be functioning - perhaps the books just missed it, or for some reason they didn't want to be listed (but it wouldn't prevent anyone from stopping in anyway)?

I saw that they were open, but wondered if there was a reason anyone knew that they weren't listed. In 15, they were wonderful, delivering good, hot meals and sandwiches to us, along with ice cream and drinks while we stayed at Graymoor, and then up the trail the next night. I believe that one of the workers lived not far north up the trail, and he brought us food at the end of his shift, no charge! He got a good tip, and we (probably 8 or 9 of us) got to eat good food another night. As I recall, there was about a mile or two walk out to the road to get the food the second night, but it was worth it.
    Trail name Catnapper

Journal Entries

Not sure why it wouldn't be. Sometimes AWOL lists single places only in the profile/map view and not a description, perhaps it's there.

Other than that it would be a mistake not to list such a valuable/convenient service right on trail. Perhaps a oversight, I shudder to think of other reasons. Both on the AT Market's side and AWOL's side.

An Aside: On El Camino it is common for many such places to go unpublished in the guide books, there are jsut so many. That is not the case with the AT and unless there was a request not to publish it, it really needs to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was there last year, I doubt they are going away. Busy little place. Expensive though, I dropped at least $100 there and paid 99 cents for one Rama noodle pack (which I never did actually eat)!
    Yeah, on the high side for sure.

Cheapy Nissan and Maruchen ramen, typical wally world and gas station convenience store fair, burn 'completely' in a camp fire or be fire starting material.

The 2017 WhiteBlaze Pages (Attroll's new trail guide) has it listed.

Images

As does the 2017 Thru-Hikers Companion. The Facebook page listed previously is correct.

Images

My wife and I do trail work in the Graymoor area.
    The market was there and open for business in the late fall of 2016.
    They have some pretty good food too. They have a lot packed into a small space.

++ New Posts ++