WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Average initial gear $$$ investment

Just totaled my spending (excluding food) for the past year. I've made a few bad purchases and have been upgrading to lighter gear. The total came to $3,100. This includes a tent, three hammocks (one went to my daughter), one winter bag, three pads, top quilt, and two packs. Is this totally crazy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the dark side.

Images

No worse than golf. If your house didn't get foreclosed on and your family didn't go hungry as a result, it's nobody's business but your own.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I wouldn't consider that to be too bad. If you are buying quality lightweight gear, it would be easy to get to that number rather quickly. Have fun using it!

Thank you from bottom of my heart. You have lifted my last vestiges of spendthrift reservation.

I am going to guess I will have about $2K including clothing/footwear. If you average it out by the nights spent then it really means you have to get out a lot to make sure it is worthwhile investment. At $3K, 30 days it is only $100 per night, cheaper than most hotels I stay at.

It adds up so quickly, especially getting into ultralight gear. $2500-3000 comes very quickly.

That's a great way to look at it. I section hike every weekend and part of the reason I have spent more than expected is that I regularly discover when gear works for me and when it doesn't. My daughter plans to thru next year, so much of my gear will go to her. I consider myself her scout--checking out the Trail and reporting back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think hiking/backpacking is almost expensive as bass fishing. Constantly upgrading to the latest and greatest. My problem is I am never satisfied so there always has to be something better

You can get the load on your back as light as you are willing to let your wallet get!

Reflect back on how much you used this gear in 10 years time, and you'll know if you were crazy or not.

Now that I have most gear that's adequate (but not outstanding), I try and make sure I hike at least 200+ miles for every piece of gear I buy (except for replacement of broken essential gear, or buying used and selling something of equivalent value). I know a few people that hike a week or two a year and buy a ton of crap and spend weeks a year browsing gear, which is a hobby in itself I guess!

This is from a section and short trip hiker perspective (max 2-3 weeks at a time). I find it easy for me to fall into the consumerism trap and buy crap I don't need unless I look at things this way.

I am just getting back into this after about 30 year. I need everything and have been working on acquiring gear over the last 3 months to be ready when Spring / Summer arrive. In my mind I have an idea of what I have spent but I refuse to get the exact total. I am happy with my gear and am afraid when I see the total dollar in one lump sum it may spoil my enthusiasm for getting back out on the trails. Even though I have the money to buy everything at one time, I am going to just keep making smaller purchases for the next few months until my gear list is complete. Plus, I think doing it this way is keeping my wife from knowing how much this is going to cost since she hasn't complained, or maybe she is just ready to get me out of the house at any cost.

Images

$3100 is 1/3 of a good carbon fiber road bike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by dwcoyote View Post
    I am just getting back into this after about 30 year. I need everything and have been working on acquiring gear over the last 3 months to be ready when Spring / Summer arrive. In my mind I have an idea of what I have spent but I refuse to get the exact total. I am happy with my gear and am afraid when I see the total dollar in one lump sum it may spoil my enthusiasm for getting back out on the trails. Even though I have the money to buy everything at one time, I am going to just keep making smaller purchases for the next few months until my gear list is complete. Plus, I think doing it this way is keeping my wife from knowing how much this is going to cost since she hasn't complained, or maybe she is just ready to get me out of the house at any cost.
    I was hesitant about adding it all up, including all the small purchases, but thought it might be a good way to tell me to slow down a bit. I've been hiking through the winter, so I've had a chance to test all of it. Some things you think will work really don't, and others you use in different conditions. For example, I bought a poncho that also covers my backpack. I discovered it was almost impossible for me to put the damn thing on while alone and wearing my backpack. I've since ditched the poncho and bought Frogg Toggs and a Zpack pack liner. More $$$ but much happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had just ordered items once and never traded out anything to get exactly what I want for a Thru Hike, my total would have been $3,088.36. Of course I purchased items that wouldn't meet my needs or I found something better and lighter causing me to repurchase two and sometimes three times. Occassionally can sell but mostly just put into a give to someone pile. Afraid to think, how much I have spent total. Happy with my gear now...except for maybe....
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I was hesitant about adding it all up, including all the small purchases, but thought it might be a good way to tell me to slow down a bit. I've been hiking through the winter, so I've had a chance to test all of it. Some things you think will work really don't, and others you use in different conditions. For example, I bought a poncho that also covers my backpack. I discovered it was almost impossible for me to put the damn thing on while alone and wearing my backpack. I've since ditched the poncho and bought Frogg Toggs and a Zpack pack liner. More $$$ but much happier.
    I had one poncho where it took me forever to put on solo as well. Sat there in the rain getting soaked while I messed with the thing, and then refused to stop for breaks because I'd have to put the stupid thing on again!

I should show my husband this thread! I posted that I was going to spend some of our tax refund on gear and nearly got a lecture on financial management from people on this forum. I think in the last year I have bought a new pad, a liner, and a water proof compression sack for my 25 year old down sleeping bag. So, maybe $200? Now I'm looking at buying a new bag and tent, zpacks both. That's not even a third of what you spent on gear this year. WOW!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I spent more than that on tents alone and that is including the money I got back re-selling several of those.
    But I don't feed fish nor have children.
    Actually I do have 7 comets (goldfish) but mostly they look after themselves.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I should show my husband this thread! I posted that I was going to spend some of our tax refund on gear and nearly got a lecture on financial management from people on this forum. I think in the last year I have bought a new pad, a liner, and a water proof compression sack for my 25 year old down sleeping bag. So, maybe $200? Now I'm looking at buying a new bag and tent, zpacks both. That's not even a third of what you spent on gear this year. WOW!
    I took it more as people saying that paying the government money as a savings plan was not sound financial management. I know plenty of people that use it as a savings plan though. Save Your Own Money
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I should say that I started basically from scratch. I had a few items from when I used to hike in southern CA in the 1990s--fleece pants, snow pants, a Lowe Alpine pack, and gaiters. I started off last May with day hikes and built up mileage and weight slowly over the summer. I started overnighting in September and hammocking about the same time. So I basically needed everything, and needless to say gear has changed a lot since 1992.

Images

To add to my prior post (it's your business, not anyone else's) - I think you have to consider the conditions you typically hike in. Winter gear adds a lot to the cost. I think you can outfit for 3 seasons (above freezing temps) for a lot less than $3K though.
    My 3 season gear, good to 30°F or so (WM Caribou bag, BA Copper Spur UL1 tent, Golite Jam pack, Neoair, Jetboil SolTi, Lekis), cost total maybe $1000 plus perhaps $500 in clothing, shoes, and misc. It helps to shop sales, closeouts, and lightly used gear to keep costs down. Usually you can save 1/3 to 1/2 off retail.
    For winter hiking, or even an early start on an AT thru, costs can add up quickly, especially for quality sleeping bags/quilts.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++