WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Justus creek too far day 1?

I will be staying at Hiker Hostel to be transferred to USFS 42 parking lot below the Springer summit about 9:30 am. That of course will obligate me to hike south up to the summit to then do an about face north at about 10:00 am. So it's adding another mile onto the mileage log that day. Anyway Hawk shelter is about eight miles from the summit and Justus Creek camp area is 14.4 miles according to Dave.My conditioning is good with running and test hikes( I have done four at a little more than sixteen miles on terrain with some features and will do three more with those mild ups and downs at elevation of 800 feet.) I have back packed in Colorado before but find myself wondering if a push to Justus Creek is too much stretch for day one? That is what I want to do. Any and all thoughts very much appreciated

It's a mile up from the parking lot and a mile back so you are at 2 miles standing back at the parking lot. That puts hawk shelter at 10.1 total but it's pretty easy hiking from the summit to hawk, after that saffafras and justus mountain are pretty good ass kickers. Justus creek would be 16.4 total. I don't think there are any really good camping spots between hawk and justus so once you go past hawk you've got another 6 miles to a good camping spot and past justus another 2.4 to the next shelter (gooch).

Journal Entries

Not at all if in good shape and light pack, with good weather.

But if starting a thru.....whats the rush and desire to risk injury?.

The approach trail (from the Lodge) to Stover Creek for day 1, then Gooch for day 2 and then Neel gap for day 3 is a good way to split it up.

There are a couple of camps sites between Hawk and Justus, but these don't have water handy so you have to stock up at Hawk and carry a full load of water for a ways.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ATaBoy View Post
    I will be staying at Hiker Hostel to be transferred to USFS 42 parking lot below the Springer summit about 9:30 am. That of course will obligate me to hike south up to the summit to then do an about face north at about 10:00 am. So it's adding another mile onto the mileage log that day. Anyway Hawk shelter is about eight miles from the summit and Justus Creek camp area is 14.4 miles according to Dave.My conditioning is good with running and test hikes( I have done four at a little more than sixteen miles on terrain with some features and will do three more with those mild ups and downs at elevation of 800 feet.) I have back packed in Colorado before but find myself wondering if a push to Justus Creek is too much stretch for day one? That is what I want to do. Any and all thoughts very much appreciated
    When you get to Hawk Mountain shelter, evaluate how you feel and how much time is left in the day. If you're up for it, push on to Justus Creek, otherwise call it quits for the day.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    When you get to Hawk Mountain shelter, evaluate how you feel and how much time is left in the day. If you're up for it, push on to Justus Creek, otherwise call it quits for the day.
    Agreed, with one major caveat: when you make this evaluation, realize that all of the steep climbs are still in front of you. I have met many beginning thru-hikers who regretted continuing on from Hawk Mtn early in the afternoon on day one.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, it is probably too far. Even if you get to Hawk Mountain early afternoon, with plenty of sunlight left and you feel great. It is about how you might feel the next day. In GA, many hikers overestimate their abilities and underestimate the terrain. And, as previously mentioned, Sassafras and Justus can be difficult.

Suggest stopping at Stover Creek Shelter for a nice break and then stopping at Hawk for the night. If you get to Hawk too early, you'll have the opportunity to greet all those who come after you. Enjoy meeting your fellow hikers at Hawk instead of rolling into Justus Creek late in evening, quickly doing chores, and then crawling into sleeping bag, possibly tired and sore from a long day.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Images

Is this a repeat from the same OP of the other Justice Creek thread? Can't immediately find the other... In any case, if starting from Springer, I think getting to JC, if you feel good at Hawk, is a fantastic first day. I did this in 2013, and plan on doing the same on this year's AT repeat. Hawk mtn shelter was an absolute zoo when I stopped by in2013, but I shared the JC CG with only one other tent. The terrain is pretty gentle (relatively) in these first 14 miles, only a gentle <1000 foot climb, then a couple steeper 3-5 hundred foot climbs. YMMV !

^^^^^^^Yes. See what time it is and how you feel at Hawk. For sure get a meal in ya there for energy. You can always camp at Coopers Gap if you aren't up for the straight pull up Justus on a long first day. Might be an Army potable water tank trailer there as well...easy place to camp...can get a little windy, though...

Images

stop scheduling, just go with the flow. You will be fine if you do not overdo it. If you overdo it you may be done. What is the hurry? Cowboy Tv at the first shelters is priceless.

++ New Posts ++