WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default FS: ULA Catalyst

So the general wisdom of buy your pack last hold true again. As part of my effort to lighten up I picked up a ULA Catalyst. Now that I've got my base weight down to about 15 pounds, this thing is just too big. So up for sale is a very lightly used ULA Catalyst, color black robic, sized M/M, J straps. For a size reference, I'm 6'1" and 190 pounds and found the fit fine. Condition is great, you'd think it was new except for a few spots of trail dust on the hip belt pockets. Current retail is $260, so looking for $200 plus shipping.

DSC_1535.JPGDSC_1536.JPGDSC_1537.JPGDSC_1538.JPG

Thanks for looking!

if you are interested and think it would be a better fit for your gear, I have an Ohm 2 that I would trade for. 2 months old, hasn't seen a trail, and I am 6'1" 185 and it fits great. I think it is a med belt lg torso. Let me know if you have any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mauiarcher View Post
    if you are interested and think it would be a better fit for your gear, I have an Ohm 2 that I would trade for. 2 months old, hasn't seen a trail, and I am 6'1" 185 and it fits great. I think it is a med belt lg torso. Let me know if you have any interest.
    I'm not opposed to trades and that's a great offer. That pack has been on my personal list for a while, but I ended up getting a good deal on an Osprey that is only a couple of ounces more than the Ohm that I'm happy with. Thanks for the offer though!

No worries. Let me know if you change your mind. Can't have too many packs. I actually have 2 ohms. Absolutely love them....amazing sub 2lb pack once you take off on the dongles. The catalyst is way too big for 95% of my needs but wouldn't mind to have as a winter pack. Good luck with the sale.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you srilnhavebthis pack for sale

That is an interesting word in the middle of that sentence Yes, I still have the pack.

Sorry-- I was in a crazy hurry and using my phone. I am sending you a PM.
    Thanks

I sent you a PM

PM received from DaveB. SirSnappy, I never did get a PM from you.

I realize I didn't specify some details in the original post. PayPal preferred (as it is the only online payment system I'm currently signed up for). If buyer wants the extra PayPal protection, please add 3% to the purchase price to cover that cost. Otherwise use F&F.

The pack is already at about 25% off retail, but to sweeten the deal further, I'll cover the first $10 of shipping costs.

Just an FYI, I quoted shipping to someone in the New England area and the total shipping was only $11 (before applying the amount I'm covering). I know it varies by destination, but it is at least a reference point.

Hi Tom, just wanted to see if this pack is still available? Thanks!

PM sent.

This item has now been sold, thank you everyone who was PMing me.

Thanks Tom!

Ok. I wish I had bought this pack from you a year ago. With that said, I love my Catalyst and this is a great buy.
    I have to know though, how are you down to 15 pounds? What are you packing? Or not packing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't redone my gear weight list for 2017, but my general appraoch was you will always hear. Weigh everything you would normally pack and write it down. Let's say that comes to 26 pounds. Now set a goal, let's say 18 pounds. That means your gear needs weight needs to be cut by 30%. Now go item by item and find a way to get it 30% lighter. Start with the heaviest items first, but visit everything. (Tip: don't buy the lighter pack right away, even though it is in the big 3. Just select one in theory and write down its weight). The big stuff is typically easy (and expensive) to downsize. Some examples for me on the small stuff (which adds up): I switched to an MSR Titan Kettle and Snow Peak Litemax from a Jet Boil. I swapped out my trowel for a Qwiz one. I now carry a small knife instead my large leatherman knife I typically EDC. I thinned my first aid kit by 50% (I always over-carried in that department and still do). I repackaged or got a smaller size of things like hand sanitize, camp suds, tooth paste. I use a zlite seat instead of a stool (that was something I ditched before I got to the point of weighing things actually). I switched to Frogg Toggs rain ware. I weighed shirts to see which was lighter. I also simply don't take things I used to. I ditched my camp shoes for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I haven't redone my gear weight list for 2017, but my general appraoch was you will always hear. Weigh everything you would normally pack and write it down. Let's say that comes to 26 pounds. Now set a goal, let's say 18 pounds. That means your gear needs weight needs to be cut by 30%. Now go item by item and find a way to get it 30% lighter. Start with the heaviest items first, but visit everything. (Tip: don't buy the lighter pack right away, even though it is in the big 3. Just select one in theory and write down its weight). The big stuff is typically easy (and expensive) to downsize. Some examples for me on the small stuff (which adds up): I switched to an MSR Titan Kettle and Snow Peak Litemax from a Jet Boil. I swapped out my trowel for a Qwiz one. I now carry a small knife instead my large leatherman knife I typically EDC. I thinned my first aid kit by 50% (I always over-carried in that department and still do). I repackaged or got a smaller size of things like hand sanitize, camp suds, tooth paste. I use a zlite seat instead of a stool (that was something I ditched before I got to the point of weighing things actually). I switched to Frogg Toggs rain ware. I weighed shirts to see which was lighter. I also simply don't take things I used to. I ditched my camp shoes for example.
    +1

Exactly what I do. Have to look at every item independently.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I keep telling my buddy to weigh all his stuff and you come to realize that taking all those things that you really don't use or need all adds up to a lot in the end. When I was in my 20s I did a lot of backpacking. I never weighed a thing and I would guess that my pack all loaded w/ water, food, etc was about 45-50#. That's a Spring/Summer kit too. I had to put it on my knee and hoist it to my back. I stopped backpacking in my 30s and picked it back up again. I grabbed all my stuff from the basement to check it out and started to weigh it. 8# 2 person tent, 4# sleeping bag, 2# pad, even had a frying pan and percolator for some reason. I slowly over the last year replacing things in my pack, mostly bought used, and I'm at 12-13# on my 3 season and hoping to be at 10 or less with my summer kit. Total all I'm at 20-22ish with water, food, and fuel. I've been out a few times already with the close to final kit and love it. My knees love it and my back loves it.

Pack received! Thanks again Tom for the super fast shipping! The pack really is like brand new.

++ New Posts ++