WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Guthook's Guides apps news and updates

Hey folks. I've been pretty quiet on here lately, but I just wanted to make myself available again for questions and comments regarding the Guthook's Guides apps (we recently renamed the overall company Atlas Guides and made a new website, but Guthook is still the name on our most popular apps and, of course, my trailname).

The three of us here have been hard at work on updating the apps and adding new trail systems in places far and wide (from New Zealand to Scotland to the Canadian Rockies). My personal focus is on the Appalachian Trail and the White Mountains, but between the three of us working directly on the apps and the many people we're partnering with, we've got quite a bit of ground covered.

So check out the new website and updated apps if you haven't already, and let me know what you think. If you want to get my attention, email is best ([email protected] is our general email line), and Facebook is second best, but I'll be checking in on here from time to time as well.

Happy trails,
    Guthook

Images

Thanks Guthook! We're getting ready to install and buy the AT sections. We have the AWOL guide, and the only question I have is how redundant is Guthook with our AWOL, meaning how much extra info is in Guthook vs. AWOL, other than showing where we currently are and how far we currently are to water/camps/shelters/towns/roads/etc. I'm considering only buying a section or two first and seeing how much we use it before buying the rest of the trail.

Can't say enough good things about your apps...I've used JMT, Collegiate loop, several AT sections, FT sections and hope to use for CT thru....should have just bought entire CT first time....great tool and seldom ever use paper guides......A Must BUY IMO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Thanks Guthook! We're getting ready to install and buy the AT sections. We have the AWOL guide, and the only question I have is how redundant is Guthook with our AWOL, meaning how much extra info is in Guthook vs. AWOL, other than showing where we currently are and how far we currently are to water/camps/shelters/towns/roads/etc. I'm considering only buying a section or two first and seeing how much we use it before buying the rest of the trail.
    Hey Rob, thanks for checking it out. AWOL and I have shared information between our guides for the past few years, and we try to keep things matched up in order to not have confusing mismatched info. The app has more individual waypoints in general because there's more space to keep them on the map (don't have to worry about adding extra pages), and AWOL has great at-a-glance info on the databook/elevation pages. I think the two supplement each other quite well. I'd suggest playing around with the app to get a feel for it. If you feel like you want to buy the whole package after buying one or two sections, send me an email and I'll get you set up with the rest of the package for the thru-hiker special price.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Can't say enough good things about your apps...I've used JMT, Collegiate loop, several AT sections, FT sections and hope to use for CT thru....should have just bought entire CT first time....great tool and seldom ever use paper guides......A Must BUY IMO!!!

Aw shucks. Thanks Salty. But I definitely advocate using paper guides as well ;-)
    And remember, the purchase is for life, so if you hike sections later on, you'll still have the updated trail info. All the more reason to hike the CT more than once!

Images

I love my Guthook AT app on my smartphone! I do carry maps, Awol's AT Guide (paper version), and the ALDHA companion (though I have YET to learn how to extract and print to pdf file only the pages I need for a particular section! ARGH) as backup on my phone.

I love that Guthook will show me where I am (both birds-eye AND elevation profile!), how far it is to this or that (though ONLY if the thing is right on the trail (ARGH ... why not give distance to shelters that are even the least bit off the trail, or to the turn-off to them, I'll never know!), AND allows me to text my wife my pin-point location (so long as I have service for texts).

THANKS for the app, now fix that distance defect so it will show all AT shelters, not just those no more than 10 centimeters from the footpath.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    THANKS for the app, now fix that distance defect so it will show all AT shelters, not just those no more than 10 centimeters from the footpath.
    I'm not following what you mean by this. The birds eye shows shelters off the trail using a blue connector line as the trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I love that Guthook will show me where I am (both birds-eye AND elevation profile!), how far it is to this or that (though ONLY if the thing is right on the trail (ARGH ... why not give distance to shelters that are even the least bit off the trail, or to the turn-off to them, I'll never know!), AND allows me to text my wife my pin-point location (so long as I have service for texts).
    Haha. No problem Rainman. Can you give me an example of which shelters aren't showing up for distance? And are you using iPhone or Android, just in case there's a bug causing that? I generally keep a mile number for each shelter even if it's off trail, but I'm sure I've missed a few here and there :-)

Guthook, I am planning to hike Long trail this year(I already finished the A.T. and want to do the same for the long trail). I guess I have been spoiled by the amount of info on the town on the A.T. for lodging and resupply. I purchased the Long Trail end to end guide and was disappointed in the maps and town info compared to the A.T. guides. How in-depth is the town info in your long trail app. for the towns north of Maine junction. I am most interested in Stowe and waitsfield (I do plan to purchase your app in any event. Thanks.

Images

Glad to see the Great Divide Trail in BC and AB Canada. Plan to hike it within a couple of years.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Contacted you with a problem I had last fall with the AT app on a section hike. The map would show my exact location but would say that I was xx miles from the AT. Y'all asked me to send a screen shot, but by then I was off the trail. Was I the only one with this issue? Will have a new phone for my thru this year so hopefully no more problems. I will say it is an awesome app and most other hikers I ran into had it!

Be nice if you added the North Country

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mainebob View Post
    Guthook, I am planning to hike Long trail this year(I already finished the A.T. and want to do the same for the long trail). I guess I have been spoiled by the amount of info on the town on the A.T. for lodging and resupply. I purchased the Long Trail end to end guide and was disappointed in the maps and town info compared to the A.T. guides. How in-depth is the town info in your long trail app. for the towns north of Maine junction. I am most interested in Stowe and waitsfield (I do plan to purchase your app in any event. Thanks.
    Hey Bob. I don't have any town info in the Long Trail guide at this point. I'm finishing up some work on the town guide for the AT, but haven't gone further north in Vermont. One thing I've found with the LT is that with so few hikers compared to the AT, there aren't really any trail towns in the same vein as almost any part of the AT, and not really any businesses that I know of that reach out to LT hikers in the same way. I haven't looked at the End-to-Enders guide in many years, but I remember it being a fairly accurate representation of what was useful in those towns-- Stowe and Waitsfield, are both basically ski resort towns with lots of restaurants and not much in the way of cheap lodging, and probably the busiest towns you'll see in that section of the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Be nice if you added the North Country
    I think we talked with some folks from the NCTA a while back. If my memory serves me right, they didn't have data that we needed for an app and the project was shelved until later. We did get something going with the Ice Age Trail Alliance, if you're looking for something in your neck of the woods, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Brain View Post
    Contacted you with a problem I had last fall with the AT app on a section hike. The map would show my exact location but would say that I was xx miles from the AT. Y'all asked me to send a screen shot, but by then I was off the trail. Was I the only one with this issue? Will have a new phone for my thru this year so hopefully no more problems. I will say it is an awesome app and most other hikers I ran into had it!
    I don't recall seeing that again, but I'm always happy to help if it happens. I've been testing the app a little more frequently in NH for the past few months, and I've been making plenty of little tweaks. Hopefully that took care of it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    Hey Bob. I don't have any town info in the Long Trail guide at this point. I'm finishing up some work on the town guide for the AT, but haven't gone further north in Vermont. One thing I've found with the LT is that with so few hikers compared to the AT, there aren't really any trail towns in the same vein as almost any part of the AT, and not really any businesses that I know of that reach out to LT hikers in the same way. I haven't looked at the End-to-Enders guide in many years, but I remember it being a fairly accurate representation of what was useful in those towns-- Stowe and Waitsfield, are both basically ski resort towns with lots of restaurants and not much in the way of cheap lodging, and probably the busiest towns you'll see in that section of the trail.

Thanks for the info

Foothills trail? Yea it's only 77 miles but think it's the only trail I've hiked without your apps...definitely missed having it!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Foothills trail? Yea it's only 77 miles but think it's the only trail I've hiked without your apps...definitely missed having it!

We had talked a while ago about working on a Southeast hiking trails app kind of like how I've got one going for New England as a regional one. Maybe it's time to start revisiting that idea... I'd have to find a local group to manage the app data for the area, since I can't take on any more mapping projects myself. Anyway, there are a ton of great trails in the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. that could work out with an app.

Leonidas

Guthook for the Pinhoti would be awesome!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Guthook, what's the most recent update for the Android version? My app hasn't updated since last November.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++