WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Thru hiker permits

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post

Its concerning because the southbound thru total caps quite low. Granted it's a lot of hikers for southbound but how many will be grabbed and not utilized fully.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I don't understand why they are issuing permits for southbound period. I was under the impression southbounders must reserve campsites and cannot use the Birches. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Anyone know or could provide a link for the process for day use visitors that don't need a parking spot?

"If all available cards have been issued, AT hikers may still complete their hike byentering the Park through the Togue Pond Gate following the same process as other dayuse or camping visitors."
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have not yet been to BSP and am slightly confused. Can someone clarify, if a person secures a normal BSP campground reservation are they able to hike the A.T. Section in the park?

Are people able to enter or exit via the A.T. if they have otherwise normal reservations? Or do they have to both enter and exit the park via the main entrance?
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-01-2017 at 23:21.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The available num
    ber of AT-Hiker Permit Cards for 2017 will be as follows:
    Northbound
    : 1,350
    Southbound
    : 610
    Section:
    Flip-Flop:
    Total:
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Can someone clarify, if a person secures a normal BSP campground reservation are they able to hike the A.T. Section in the park?
    If you're a thru, section, or flipper, you need a permit.
    http://baxterstateparkauthority.com/...unce_Final.pdf
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I'm not sure the impacts of this, how concerned should NOBO/SOBO hikers be about this rule?

How long is the section through Baxter Park?
    Is Park Headquarters or Katahdin Stream Campground right on the trail?
    If you get there and they've met the quota you shuttle passed it?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    What I'm asking is I don't quite follow the wording in the pdf. Does the permit apply only to those who are entering the park without normal reservations under the A.T. Long distance hiker rules, or are they now requiring that people who already have normal park reservations double up and also obtain the permit if they plan to hike the A.T. Within the park?

this is NOT good
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

What I'm asking is I don't quite follow the wording in the pdf. Does the permit apply only to those who are entering the park without normal reservations under the A.T. Long distance hiker rules, or are they now requiring that people who already have normal park reservations double up and also obtain the permit if they plan to hike the A.T. Within the park?
    Sobos are in the Park with reservations (for the majority) - they need permits, as to all LD ATers.
    No one said you have to double up - not part of this at all (although good practice).
    When the permits run out, the Birches is closed, and LD ATers will have follow the same rules as all other visitors.
    Remember, this is 400 more permits for '17 than there were ATers in '16.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    this is NOT good
    Why do you think that?
    Teej

How long is the section through Baxter Park? 15.4
    Is Park Headquarters or Katahdin Stream Campground right on the trail? The AT runs through KSC.
    If you get there and they've met the quota you shuttle passed it? Huh?
    Teej

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Sobos are in the Park with reservations (for the majority) - they need permits, as to all LD ATers.
    No one said you have to double up - not part of this at all (although good practice).
    When the permits run out, the Birches is closed, and LD ATers will have follow the same rules as all other visitors.
    Remember, this is 400 more permits for '17 than there were ATers in '16.
    Don't get me wrong, none of this seems particularly concerning (or surprising) to me, I've been expecting them to bring the A.T. rules in line with the rest of their mamagement system. I was just a bit uncertain of my interpretation of the press release.

OK, so say I arrive late in the season, and find all the permits have been issued and The Birches is closed. To complete my hike, I would have to make a reservation for a campsite, and pay the fee, correct? Would I be able to do this in person in the park, assuming sites are available?

Images

My interpretation is that once the NOBO permits are all taken, a hiker who hikes to the park border on the AT will have to turn around, find a way to hike and hitch into Millinocket, get a 'Day Use Parking Reservation' for Katahdin(if any are available), rent a car, drive in and park, hike to the southern park boundary and back, then climb Katahdin and back, exit the park.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by imscotty; 02-02-2017 at 00:21.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

OK, so say I arrive late in the season, and find all the permits have been issued and The Birches is closed. To complete my hike, I would have to make a reservation for a campsite, and pay the fee, correct? Would I be able to do this in person in the park, assuming sites are available?
    "If all available cards have been issued, AT hikers may still complete their hike by entering the Park through the Togue Pond Gate following the same process as other dayuse or camping visitors."
    This part interests me. I do not yet know enough to comment on it.
    Teej

Why do you think that?
    What happens when you are NOBO number 1351 or Section hiker #841?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I have not yet been to BSP and am slightly confused. Can someone clarify, if a person secures a normal BSP campground reservation are they able to hike the A.T. Section in the park?

Are people able to enter or exit via the A.T. if they have otherwise normal reservations? Or do they have to both enter and exit the park via the main entrance?
    #9 of the document says
    If all available cards have been issued, AT hikers may still complete their hike by entering the Park through the Togue Pond Gate following the same process as other day use or camping visitors.
    So you have to go through the gate, follow some of the additional park rules about backcountry camping and/or parking and/or dayhiking. Depends on how you plan the rest of it out.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

Not BSP, but ATC might be contemplating permits and required shelter reservations , ala gsmnp, in GA as well......

The times, they are a changing...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-02-2017 at 00:34.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++