WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question What would you do?

I gave notice to my job, and they came back and said stay one more year and you can go in 2018, and your job will be here when you are done. I have a good paying job...

My mind I have been ready to go, my start date is March 16th..... bought all my gear... bought my train ticket to Gainsville GA...

I know it will hard to give advice but just wanted to throw it out there.

I want to go. My wife supports me in either decision. She also said that I could go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.

Did you get that offer in writing? I wouldn't even consider it until I had something in writing. Lots can change in a year and people tend to forget things. If it's worth having a job when you get back, then perhaps it's a deal. BTW, any letter would need to state the time off and the guarantee of a job when returning.

PS. While your at it - make them throw in a raise when you get back - you are giving up something, after all

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Did you get that offer in writing? I wouldn't even consider it until I had something in writing. Lots can change in a year and people tend to forget things. If it's worth having a job when you get back, then perhaps it's a deal. BTW, any letter would need to state the time off and the guarantee of a job when returning.
    I didn't get this in writing. Not sure they would, but that something I need to get if I stay.

Flutch

Leonidas

I agree with the above, if it isn't in writing, not worth staying. I have seen multiple people get worked over by this type of offer. Of course, all cases did not have the agreement in writing and when everything went south, they had nothing.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but it pays to be vigilant.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Do you like your job? A lot of times people go on the AT when they are burned out with their jobs or relationships, so going back to the same thing is not all that appealing. If you do like your job, then I would certainly consider staying.

So I work in a right to work state, NC. Does it matter if I get it in writing? Do I have any legs to stand on?

I am not a lawyer so I was wondering if anyone knows something about this?

Flutch

Definitely have a written agreement. It sounds like you're ready to go this year, as planned so go for it. If they really want you, they'll possibly offer a raise to keep you here this year or have no objection to a written agreement. Not sure how that would hold up though, might want to research if they're an at will employer.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph View Post
    Definitely have a written agreement. It sounds like you're ready to go this year, as planned so go for it. If they really want you, they'll possibly offer a raise to keep you here this year or have no objection to a written agreement. Not sure how that would hold up though, might want to research if they're an at will employer.

They are an at will employer.

Flutch

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

First of all, I don't think it really matters if you have something in writing or not. Many states have "at will" employment policies. So unless the written agreement is some sort of a long-term contract, an employer could simply hire you back, and then suddenly realize in a month that you're no longer needed.

So there isn't going to be any sort of a one-size-fits-all to this kind of situation. It totally depends upon your line of work, the future potential of your business industry, how important you are, and the attitude of management (and about 100 other variables).

After all, here's two lines of logic that might apply, depending upon your situation and all the other variables.

1. Since management is asking you to stay, you are apparently important to them NOW. If there is a reasonable chance you won't be as important in the future, you might stand a better chance of getting your job/career back if you leave while you're still important and more likely to still be important and needed at the end of this hiking season.

2. If you are easy to replace, then it might be better to keep management happy and wait until next year to try to keep them happy rather than risk pissing them off now and find that you've been replaced and no longer needed at the end of this hiking season.

BTW: Even if it shouldn't mean anything legally, I think it would still be a good idea to get the understanding you and your manager have over this situation in writing. That way, if you get any push-back on the issue in the future, you have something to show them exactly what was agreed to. They might still have legal loopholes to get out of the agreement, but with something in writing, no one will be able to say "that's not what we agreed to" and hopefully it becomes a sense of honor and not legalities that ensures you have a job when you come back.

no guarantees in NC... in-writing or not - no cause needed for you to be made "redundant"

I think that I'd wait until next year and be happy with the guaranteed job upon your return, because statistically speaking, there's about a 50% chance your thru will be finished about a month after you start.

What if they let you go, say in July. You will be unemployed and not hiking.
    Sounds like you are ready to go, GO!

Depends on your trust level with your employer...you'll feel like you've really been taken if next year they say "oh, well, we can't really do that right now...if there's an open position when you get done you can apply for it but we'll bring you back in at entry level pay. I'm sorry that Bob told you that but [he doesn't work here anymore, he wasn't authorized to make that promise.]"

you were prepared to quit and go now .......so go....who knows what will be in a year and prevent u from going....just go
    Last edited by pesphoto; 02-02-2017 at 16:32.

i would go while the excitement is high. so go young man!

Quote Originally Posted by flutch View Post

She also said that I could go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.
    There's you answer. Get out right now as much as humanly possible. Rediscover the wonderful maxim---"Life's too short to be indoors".

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Be patient. Wait a year. Don't burn bridges. If you are a good employee, any company worth working for will keep their word. If they dont, you dont want to be working for them anyways.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I'll echo was was said about getting stuff in writing - indeed, consider an employment contract. Without one, well, there are no guarantees. Just their word. And they may intend to keep it, but circumstances change, and they may find themselves later in a position where they can't honor their word.

Now, asking for it in writing may seem a bit adversarial - it is - but they are asking you to give up something for a verbal agreement - which is not worth the paper it's (not) printed on. If you can afford one, you might want to consider consulting an attorney.

Another consideration is this: what do they know about 2018 that tells them they can afford to have you gone for months, and that they'll be able to hire you back when you're through? Who does your work while you're gone, and what happens to them when you get back? What stops the employer from giving you the same line in 2018?

Does the employer have a track record of hiring back people who take a months-long leave of absence?

I wouldn't worry about the at-will part. That's true whether you stay or go. The bigger issue is, why should you believe that they'll let you hike in 2018, and be able/willing to hire you back afterwards? What makes staying this year so important to them? Are you going to be training your replacement?

Well, I do hope you get to go, but this is indeed a sticky wicket. Hopefully you will find rewarding work at the end of it regardless. You may wish to make some quiet overtures to the competition, see if they might need someone in 7+ months or whatever, just in case you return to a "no vacancy" sign.

Best of luck to you.

First off, are you catching the signal your wife is sending? She's not begging you to go right now. She's suggesting that you stay and will offer a compromise in the meantime. I think she's giving you a viable option. Perhaps she thinks you should try it before you buy it?

If you do stay, I'd ask for an employment contract for 2019 contingent upon your successful exit of...say...2/1/2018...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++