WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    First off, are you catching the signal your wife is sending? She's not begging you to go right now. She's suggesting that you stay and will offer a compromise in the meantime. I think she's giving you a viable option. Perhaps she thinks you should try it before you buy it?

If you do stay, I'd ask for an employment contract for 2019 contingent upon your successful exit of...say...2/1/2018...

I have been with my wife for 25 years. I started a thru-hike in 2001 but had to get off because I was becoming a dad. I did a month and a half on the trail. Being a dad was and is the most important priority in my life at that time and I need to take care of my family. I love to Hike so it is not try before you buy kinda thing. I understand what you are saying, but my wife just wants me to be happy.

Thanks,

Flutch

Quote Originally Posted by flutch View Post
    I have been with my wife for 25 years. I started a thru-hike in 2001 but had to get off because I was becoming a dad. I did a month and a half on the trail. Being a dad was and is the most important priority in my life at that time and I need to take care of my family. I love to Hike so it is not try before you buy kinda thing. I understand what you are saying, but my wife just wants me to be happy.

Thanks,

Flutch
    Then go for it! But, the fact you are asking, and the fact she is offering a compromise means something, yes? I think she'd rather you wait the year...just sayin...

They are just trying to postpone and will do same next year. The time is now, it's all lined up for you, go for it. I am sure if you show your passion for the pursuit and your appreciation for the company then you will have a good chance to rejoin that firm when you get back.

If you left this year as planned what was your intention for work the following year?

Would you have come back to this job if it was available?
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

we get wrapped up in fear and "guarantees" in america.

we get insurance policies for our insurance policies in case our insurance policies don't actually insure us.

we can all die tomorrow be it walking, driving, cycling, or just waking up.

go. do it. now.

Only you know your employer, your job, and how easy it is to get employed in your field where you live. If you like your job and you can trust your employer, I'd just wait it out a year unless you feel that finding a new job will be easy. Few jobs will offer to bring you back after you are done hiking. I've done my 2 really big hikes after layoffs,. but I've considered quitting to hike more than once, but it ended up working out nicely where I didn't have to. I'm probably one of the few that wasn't upset when I got laid off. Cool, I wanted to hike anyway. However, it wasn't always easy to find a job when i got home either. So if my employer offered a way to hike and have a job afterwards, I'd be hard press to pass it by.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I agree with the above, if it isn't in writing, not worth staying. I have seen multiple people get worked over by this type of offer. Of course, all cases did not have the agreement in writing and when everything went south, they had nothing.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but it pays to be vigilant.
    Yeah, get it in writing. Then show it to a lawyer and make sure it's legally binding.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by flutch View Post
    I gave notice to my job, and they came back and said stay one more year and you can go in 2018, and your job will be here when you are done. I have a good paying job...

My mind I have been ready to go, my start date is March 16th..... bought all my gear... bought my train ticket to Gainsville GA...

I know it will hard to give advice but just wanted to throw it out there.

I want to go. My wife supports me in either decision. She also said that I could go once a month every month to go hike on the AT for a long weekend. And then go next year, but she also supports me going this year.

Thanks as always.

Flutch.
    Sigh. Obviously your employer values you enough to make such an offer. And your statement that "I have a good paying job" means you value your employment relationship with them. It's a tough call. Your relatively young, and the trail isn't going anywhere. No one can predict what economic realities will come to pass by next year. And given "at will" employment, a written statement isn't a guaranty of any kind. My gut reaction would be to suggest some week long and weekend hikes now will help smooth over not thru-hiking this year. You also don't mention your LD hiking experience, your ability to replace your job/income upon return if necessary due to losing this job, etc. And unless you've done long hikes before, you may very well find that you're one of the many who actually prefer shorter section hikes. Because there's the romantic notion of thru-hiking, and then there's the reality. And they aren't the same.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'd go...life is not guaranteed. Many things can change over a year, including the management team.

Leave. Go for the hike. Unless of course the market for your job is saturated and you won't be able to find a job upon your return

Journal Entries
    Images

The best advice here is to trust YOUR instincts. Only YOU know if their word can be trusted. The trail isn't going anywhere.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Can you please enlighten us to your line of work? Horse salesman? Dog groomer? Policeman/woman? Plumber? Maybe you could fly a jet maybe you could be a Vet!

Basically you resigned and your employer counter offered to try and keep you. Happens a lot, except that most people are going to another job, not on a hike. What if you looked at it like this? You are taking a 6 to 9 month temporary job to enrich your life. When you come back you will still be valuable to an employer, even if not the one you are working for now. Plus, you live in an area that has a history of economic growth and stability. I'd politely turn the offer down and go hiking this year.

If there is a doubt, there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    If there is a doubt, there is no doubt.
    Every situation depends on the situation.

Anyone who works hard and is good at there job runs into this when wanting to do a thru hike.
    If you already weighed out the "cost" of leaving your job to thru hike and decided you were good to go, an offer to entice you to stay shouldn't matter.
    Work and life changes constantly. Staying that extra year could also prevent you from having the ability to go in 2018. If your are all set to go this year, go.
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

GO and GO now if you can swing it. You are not GUARANTEED NEXT YEAR. You are only guaranteed that you MAY or MAY NOT be alive!

Flutch, I am in a similar situation. I told my employers a year ago my intentions to quit and hike the trail this year. They have invited me to come back and that is really nice for sure. On one hand it relieves some stress for my life after the hike; on the other hand a lot can and will change in the months I am on the trail.

I had planned to hike this year before I told them my intentions. It was their choice to extend an invitation on my return. I didn't ask them to, and I won't be holding them to it upon my return.

I chose to give my employer a year notice because as a manager I knew they would need time to train/replace me. What I have seen over the past year is they haven't done much in that department.

TL;DR
    It sounds like by asking you to postpone your plans for a year, your company wants to make it easier on them to replace you, making their offer to welcome you back a little thin.

I would stay on your current course. You are prepared to go now. Your family is prepared for you to go now. I hope to see you out there on the trail.

- Christopher

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It occurs to me that if you are worried about the laws that apply in your state,you don't really trust them to keep their word. If not,do you really want to work there? I also wonder what plan A was. Were you hoping to go back there,or were you ready for a change anyway? Life is short,if your spouse is truly on board,and you can afford to go,catch that train. If they really need you,they will make a place for you when you get done.

Journal Entries
    Images

X2 if they like you chances are pretty good they'll want you back regardless. Don't quit the trail before you start or you may never get the opportunity. Its basically the best odds in the house 50\50 either you get your job back or you don't. Chances of starting next year those odds are quite complex like trying to hit a single number in roulette with one bet. Life happens and right now you should play the smart bet and hope they hire you back. That's my thought process on this plus you already got your ticket.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++