Journal Entries

Default 2019 PCT Gear List First try

Well Here is my first attempt at my PCT 2019 gear list. Just a few notes about the list
    I will be doing a no cooking hike so there is no stove or fuel
    I still have to add
    Rain gear (mostly likely a rain skirt.
    Rain Jacket still need to research and add
    Micro spike - still need to research and add
    I will start out with my ML 2900c prophet which should be good to Kennedy Meadows. If necessary will have my ULA Catalyst mailed to Kennedy so I will have the capacity to carry a bear canister
    I will start out with my Katatataticgear 30D down quilt. Since I am a warn sleeper the quilt should more that adequate especially if I use the silk liner (questionable) and with the ability to add layers to sleep in. If necessary I will switch out the quilt with my Marmot Helium 30D bag.
    Not to sure about the Nano Puff. I also have a Mountain Hardware Compressor that is wearing out so I am researching to find a replacement if necessary.

Any constructive criticize is welcome.

Journal Entries

I'm very minimalist, and I'm not sure if that's your approach, but here's my suggestions:
    Only take one pair of socks unless you have liner socks. With liner socks, you wear them under your normal hiking socks, so there are no extra socks in your backpack anyway. I don't think either of your socks are liner socks given that they're both called "hiker socks", so I'd remove whichever one you don't like as much.
    Remove one of the SS shirts. You have the LS shirt for sleeping (assuming that's what it's for), and you only really need one hiking shirt. If the LS shirt is for insulation while hiking, then you don't need that one as you also have a down jacket. I exclusively take two shirts, one for hiking and one for sleeping, and it works fine.
    Swap out the 26800mAh charger for a smaller one. I use the Anker PowerCore+ mini, which is 3350mAh. Only good for a little over a full charge of a phone, so it's pretty minimalist. Lots of people use the Anker PowerCore 10000, which, according to Anker, can charge an iPhone 6s 3.8 times. It also weighs 180g, so it's 2.5 times lighter than your current one.
    I also don't see any form of bug protection for sleeping. Borah Gear makes cheap and light bug bivies if you can not feel claustrophobic. You could also get the S2S Nano Bug Pyramid, which is kind of a glorified head net at 3 oz, and hangs down from your tarp, either along a ridgeline or off a hook. Another option is a net tent. Although heavier and more costly, they're less restraining than a bivy. BearPaw and Six Moon Designs sell semi-pyramidal net tents, and BearPaw, Yama Mountain Gear and Mountain Laured Designs sell A-frame net tents.

A single pair of socks? For a long distance hike?
    What would Mr. Fletcher do?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

You will need more the one quart of water. Depending on year and speed, I would suggest 4l minimum until you learn water management strategies which takes a while.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Thoughts, in no particular order:
    Consider some underwear to go under your shorts, unless they have a liner
    Make sure you have the Sawyer "squeeze" and not the "mini", as the flow rate is WAY better
    1L of water is too little, there are multiple 20-30 mile dry stretches, at least down south
    What are you actually cooking with?
    Consider a headlamp with a rechargeable battery pack that can be powered from your Anker (which is probably too big, at least in the south - you can charge every 3-5 days)
    Swap the poop shovel for a Deuce of Spades - a great and amusing gift suggestion
    "pack towel" feels like a luxury item
    You'll need a first aid kit - Vitamin I, leukotape, etc

Nano puff a hoody? If not bring a light wt beanie. You'll want it.

No groundsheet?

Make your LS shirt a 1/4-1/2 zip. Greater versatility for use on the fly and in camp.

Pad long enough warm enough?

Get your rain jacket. Wear all appsarel in your sleep system. Experience it at 25* several times before setting in ???AprilNOBO. Not terribly unusual to experience 90* days followed by very clear sub freezing nights in April to early May.

Might not have enougH under insulation in the High Sierra.

I get where Kaalit is coming from. I like it but two tees and two pr of socks don't have to break the UL bank at 3 oz for socks and 4 oz for a tee. You'll be spending most of your time hiking in a tee. After a wk hiking in 90* blazing sun a second tee with different attributes will have been appreciated. Same with two pr of socks with different attributes. Blister prevention and care is more important in Hot Socal. Separate socks can be part of that package.

Single greatest wt and volume category for you by far in socal will be consumables. Nailing that should be prioritized. Through the High Sierra offset your winter gear wt and bulk by cobsidering breaking up the food haul into two or three shorter hauls.

Sunglasses, sunwear even if a visor with the bandanna?

Nice first run G.

Journal Entries

Thanks for all positive feedback and I am taking it all under consideration
    I do have a basic first aid kit will review and add to the list.
    Will be getting some type of ground cloth
    Good idea of change to a 1/2 - 1/4 zip. Did have a nice ice breaker (150) weight and will look at this option
    I do know I need have more capability of carrying water.
    Nano Puff not a hood. I Do have several caps and am looking a a hoody type puffy.
    Shorts do have liners
    I will be going stoveless (or at least that is the current play). If I decide to include a stove I do have a pocket rocket that I would include

Once again thanks

++ New Posts ++