Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default actually getting to S Terminus

    Pretend it's the day your permit says to start - How do you get from San Diego to the terminus? The bus runs a few times a day, drops you off at the store, then its ~2 mi S to the end. Do people use Uber to get there on demand? Is there a trail angel shuttle? I've heard you don't want to get there the night before and camp on the border. What's the best way to get a dawn start on Day1?
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  2. #2

    Default

    Do you have Yogi's PCT guidebook by any chance? There are several Trail Angels in San Diego that help with getting hikers to the southern terminus. I'm pretty sure Yogi's PCT guidebook details how to contact them.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks, I'm thinking more about the other 49 hikers starting at dawn, I mean, you'd need a schoolbus. I thought about camping at the campground a few miles away, but don't like the idea of a pre-dawn roadwalk for miles, within sight of the border.
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2016
    Location
    Sierra Madre, California
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Take the bus and just go hiking. Are you worried about illegals? Don't be. Besides, you'll be hiking with them for a few days anyway. I've seen them busted by border patrol at Mt. Laguna.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    70
    Posts
    660

    Default actually getting to S Terminus

    I thought about camping at the terminus the 1st night also, but I'm a little nervous about it. San Diego County sheriff's advised me not to leave my car down there, once, when I wanted to explore the first few miles. They told me when. I got back, my car might be in Mexico!

    There is a tentsite 4.5 miles into the trail, according to guthook. So, if you get a late start on day 1, that might be a good option.

  6. #6
    GAME 06
    Join Date
    10-15-2004
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Age
    62
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Scout and Frodo run a service out of their house in San Diego. They pick you up at the airport, bus, train station. Put you up at their house with about 20 other hikers. Feed you. then in the morning they have a fleet of cars/vans to get you right to the border fence. And off you go. And they refuse any money to pay for all of this. They hosted over 500 hikers last year.

    sandiegopct.com

  7. #7

    Default

    Good point, might be the perfect way to start, leaving all the logistical stuff for Day -1.

    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I thought about camping at the terminus the 1st night also, but I'm a little nervous about it. San Diego County sheriff's advised me not to leave my car down there, once, when I wanted to explore the first few miles. They told me when. I got back, my car might be in Mexico!

    There is a tentsite 4.5 miles into the trail, according to guthook. So, if you get a late start on day 1, that might be a good option.
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-21-2009
    Location
    Susanville, CA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Just to throw out another option: Take the bus to Lake Morena in the afternoon (day -1), camp at the park, then take the morning bus back to Forest Gate Rd.

  9. #9

    Default

    Also a good idea, you get to Campo at just before 7am.

    Quote Originally Posted by rompel View Post
    Just to throw out another option: Take the bus to Lake Morena in the afternoon (day -1), camp at the park, then take the morning bus back to Forest Gate Rd.
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-21-2009
    Location
    Susanville, CA
    Age
    50
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Also a good idea, you get to Campo at just before 7am.
    Just be aware the bus only runs M-F, so this plan only works for a Tu-F start date.

  11. #11

    Default

    I started at 2pm and hiked about 12 miles before it was dark and I stopped to camp. Had a quiet camp. Yes it was hot and I carried 6L of water to make Lake Morena since Hausser Creek wasn't flowing, but nothing says you have to start at dawn.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-05-2013
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Age
    70
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Good point, might be the perfect way to start, leaving all the logistical stuff for Day -1.

    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I thought about camping at the terminus the 1st night also, but I'm a little nervous about it. San Diego County sheriff's advised me not to leave my car down there, once, when I wanted to explore the first few miles. They told me when. I got back, my car might be in Mexico!

    There is a tentsite 4.5 miles into the trail, according to guthook. So, if you get a late start on day 1, that might be a good option.
    Yes. I was just doing the 1st section, so I left my car at the community center in Warner Springs. Bus from there to Campo was once / week, Thursday, getting to Campo around 1:30...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-15-2017
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1

    Default

    In the 2018 season I can be available by arrangement for rides to the trailhead from San Diego. PM me for contact info.

  14. #14
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8,429

    Default

    Scout and Frodo were wonderful hosts. One nice thing about staying with them is that they get you to the terminus around 7:00 AM - giving you plenty of time to make it to Lake Morena on Day 1.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •