Default actually getting to S Terminus

Pretend it's the day your permit says to start - How do you get from San Diego to the terminus? The bus runs a few times a day, drops you off at the store, then its ~2 mi S to the end. Do people use Uber to get there on demand? Is there a trail angel shuttle? I've heard you don't want to get there the night before and camp on the border. What's the best way to get a dawn start on Day1?

Do you have Yogi's PCT guidebook by any chance? There are several Trail Angels in San Diego that help with getting hikers to the southern terminus. I'm pretty sure Yogi's PCT guidebook details how to contact them.

Thanks, I'm thinking more about the other 49 hikers starting at dawn, I mean, you'd need a schoolbus. I thought about camping at the campground a few miles away, but don't like the idea of a pre-dawn roadwalk for miles, within sight of the border.

Take the bus and just go hiking. Are you worried about illegals? Don't be. Besides, you'll be hiking with them for a few days anyway. I've seen them busted by border patrol at Mt. Laguna.

Default actually getting to S Terminus

I thought about camping at the terminus the 1st night also, but I'm a little nervous about it. San Diego County sheriff's advised me not to leave my car down there, once, when I wanted to explore the first few miles. They told me when. I got back, my car might be in Mexico!

There is a tentsite 4.5 miles into the trail, according to guthook. So, if you get a late start on day 1, that might be a good option.

GAME 06

Scout and Frodo run a service out of their house in San Diego. They pick you up at the airport, bus, train station. Put you up at their house with about 20 other hikers. Feed you. then in the morning they have a fleet of cars/vans to get you right to the border fence. And off you go. And they refuse any money to pay for all of this. They hosted over 500 hikers last year.

sandiegopct.com

Good point, might be the perfect way to start, leaving all the logistical stuff for Day -1.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    I thought about camping at the terminus the 1st night also, but I'm a little nervous about it. San Diego County sheriff's advised me not to leave my car down there, once, when I wanted to explore the first few miles. They told me when. I got back, my car might be in Mexico!

There is a tentsite 4.5 miles into the trail, according to guthook. So, if you get a late start on day 1, that might be a good option.

Just to throw out another option: Take the bus to Lake Morena in the afternoon (day -1), camp at the park, then take the morning bus back to Forest Gate Rd.

Also a good idea, you get to Campo at just before 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by rompel View Post
    Just to throw out another option: Take the bus to Lake Morena in the afternoon (day -1), camp at the park, then take the morning bus back to Forest Gate Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Also a good idea, you get to Campo at just before 7am.
    Just be aware the bus only runs M-F, so this plan only works for a Tu-F start date.

I started at 2pm and hiked about 12 miles before it was dark and I stopped to camp. Had a quiet camp. Yes it was hot and I carried 6L of water to make Lake Morena since Hausser Creek wasn't flowing, but nothing says you have to start at dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Good point, might be the perfect way to start, leaving all the logistical stuff for Day -1.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post

Yes. I was just doing the 1st section, so I left my car at the community center in Warner Springs. Bus from there to Campo was once / week, Thursday, getting to Campo around 1:30...

In the 2018 season I can be available by arrangement for rides to the trailhead from San Diego. PM me for contact info.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Scout and Frodo were wonderful hosts. One nice thing about staying with them is that they get you to the terminus around 7:00 AM - giving you plenty of time to make it to Lake Morena on Day 1.

++ New Posts ++