WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Prep tips for the Pinhoti?

Cant believe I didn't know about the Pinhoti Trail unitl now. I had heard of it while at Cheaha state park but I didn't realixze it was a long distance trail. I want to section/thru hike the trail (atleast the AL section since I hear the GA section isn't all that spectacular) to hel p prep for the AT section hiking trips.

Can anyone tell me any tips or guides I can use to get this in motion. Ive done some but not a lot of research and haven't found to much info on the hike as far as shelters, trail towns, resupplies etc etc. So if anyone has some sound advice and caresto point me in the right direction, itll be greatly appreciated.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Leonidas

This should get you started if you haven't found it already.

http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Leonidas

This is why I should refresh the page before typing!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Hey! I am prepping for my Pinhoti through right now! Shakedown hike this weekend! I have hiked some of it with my husband. Very nice views and decent water sources.

Happy trails!

I created a video virtual hike for the entire Pinhoti along with other trails. I was a section hiker as well and completed the trail in 10 sections I believe. This may help you plan and figure out your sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Wn...1hLppWJg5M2Eim

I hope it helps.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

I like your idea of hiking the PT in prep for the AT. I've been saying for several yrs the PT, BMT, etc are great preps for a longer jaunt on the AT. Several LD hikers each yr start there NOBO AT thru-hikes by starting at the PT southern terminus as the PT and BMT, as well as MANY other trails connect to the AT, making the AT ONLY one part of a much larger interconnected east coast trail system. FWIW, some start the AT NOBO hikers much further south like say Key West and going on into Canada. NO, the AT isn't rigidly confined as some assume it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I like your idea of hiking the PT in prep for the AT. I've been saying for several yrs the PT, BMT, etc are great preps for a longer jaunt on the AT. Several LD hikers each yr start there NOBO AT thru-hikes by starting at the PT southern terminus as the PT and BMT, as well as MANY other trails connect to the AT, making the AT ONLY one part of a much larger interconnected east coast trail system. FWIW, some start the AT NOBO hikers much further south like say Key West and going on into Canada. NO, the AT isn't rigidly confined as some assume it to be.
    NOOO! Springer Mountain to Katahdin and that's it! Not one step more! =p

I found that the rocky trailbed is hard to walk on if you're not used to it, and the heavy leaves that inevitably pile up directly on trail makes it difficult to see where the trouble spots are. Hiking poles are very helpful. If you're not normally a hiking pole kind of person, at least one that you can strap to your pack would still be a good idea. It will help you navigate the very steep downhills. Also, the trail from Flagg Mountain to about Cheaha is very dry, even in wet weather. Lastly, the 17 mile roadwalk between Flagg Mountain and Rebecca Mountain is not too bad -- my brother and I did it on the first day, and we aren't what I'd call "in shape". If you are worried about it, consider Callie Thornton's Coosa Hiker Hostel; she does shuttle services between trailheads from Flagg to Cheaha. She's on Facebook. I haven't used her, but I know many who have and thought she gave good service for reasonable rates.

What would be a great section for 1-2 nights? I see the shuttle/hostel option on one of the links. This is not far for me and might be a good option while the great throng is heading out on the southern AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    What would be a great section for 1-2 nights? I see the shuttle/hostel option on one of the links. This is not far for me and might be a good option while the great throng is heading out on the southern AT.
    How strong of a hiker are you?
    Distance and elevation wise.
    The trail is mostly moderate but a few sections are difficult.

My BIL has yet to shuttle anyone but lives moments from the trail (pretty much centrally located) and wants to shuttle. If you or anyone needs a shuttle PM me and I will provide his phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    How strong of a hiker are you?
    Distance and elevation wise.
    The trail is mostly moderate but a few sections are difficult.

My BIL has yet to shuttle anyone but lives moments from the trail (pretty much centrally located) and wants to shuttle. If you or anyone needs a shuttle PM me and I will provide his phone number.
    Can do ~12 miles/day on AT, no problem doing some good elevations but wouldn't want to be going up all day of course.

Can do ~12 miles/day on AT, no problem doing some good elevations but wouldn't want to be going up all day of course.
    First thought would be section 6 and 7.

Section 6 -Starting at Adams gap heading north, up stairway to the ridge.
    Short first day would allow for a few great campsites on the ridge or push onto Cheaha TH and take a short detour to McDill point. A small campsite at McDill and you can see the plane crash.
    This section has some of the best views of the entire trail.

Section 7 - From Cheaha to 431 (I would not leave your car at 431) is long enough to break into a two day with a short walk out the third.

From 431 to North FS500 is pretty uneventful, easy miles with a few PUDs.

My favorite place on the trail is Lower Shoals area. The setting of the shelter is fantastic.

The Shoal Creek Church is pretty neat.
    My sisters X's family were the ones that promoted and convinced the powers to turn Duggar Mt into a Wilderness Area thus some sentimental connection. There are some great views here as well.

Come over and do a section but plan on coming back.

The best part of the trail is how under used it is. If you like your solitude you will love the Pinhoti.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

Section 7 - From Cheaha to 431 (I would not leave your car at 431) is long enough to break into a two day with a short walk out the third.
    If you are not in a hurry it is a worthwhile side trip to Bald Rock. Side trail is just past the Blue Mountain Shelter.

Thanks, like I said, sounds like a great option while the throngs are hitting the AT this spring.

Thanks, like I said, sounds like a great option while the throngs are hitting the AT this spring.
    +1,000,0000

Another factor to consider since the PT is further south and at lower elevations a hike of the PT from the Southern terminus going NOBO can be started earlier under more favorable weather. I went NOBO from the Southern terminus at the time to the BMT junction/PT northern terminus and onto the BMT SOBO to Springer in late Jan into Feb under great weather conditions with the trail to myself. Loved the PT for a winter hike/thru-hike.

Awesome. Glad I found this. I will be in Hoover AL for the next 5 weeks, and will be hiking this on the weekends.

The Georgia section is swarmed by bicyclists which ruins the trail in my opinion. Who wants to hike and camp next to wheeled traffic?? I go backpacking to get away from rolling Americans.

I didn't encounter one bicyclist in all of my PT/BMT hike in Feb.

Expecting hikes/trails/ backpacking to always be for foot traffic only or hermit like experiences one might look into locating to Siberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I didn't encounter one bicyclist in all of my PT/BMT hike in Feb.

Expecting hikes/trails/ backpacking to always be for foot traffic only or hermit like experiences one might look into locating to Siberia.
    So far Thanks be to God bicycles ARE NOT allowed on wilderness trails in the Southeast mountains.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++