WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Gearing up for my Pinhoti hike!

I have done the Pin-chin-sky loop but, a friend and I are looking to do the Pinhoti trail section that goes through the Talladega National Forest. We can't get off long enough to do the whole thing so just picked the section that looked to be the most "our style" of hiking-all woods and no pavement hiking). Thinking late February or early April (she will be backpacking Colorado in March ).

Shakedown hike this weekend to test out some new gear! Super pumped! I have it figured that we will need to cover about 17 miles a day so I'm going to crank up my daily walks to get the pup in shape!

I'll use this thread to update how my meal dehydrating and prep is going.

Journal Entries

Good to know! We will be starting at the southern end of the Talladega National Forest and hiking as far as we can get.

With 4 overnighters left on the Pinhoti my 9yo daughter and myself will have completed her first LD trail.
    Myself, this will be my 3rd thru of the Pinhoti. Alabama only...
    I love the trail and I am sure you will also.
    Very under used and you will see only a few if any other users.

Don't miss Lower Shoals shelter.

Cannot wait to read about your trip.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the kind words! I love the area and cannot wait to spend time out there.

Quote Originally Posted by plexusbritt View Post
    Good to know! We will be starting at the southern end of the Talladega National Forest and hiking as far as we can get.
    Hmm, the southern end requires a full day of road walk.
    I say skip the section one and two and start at Trammel trail head.

I am sure you already know about the Pinhoti trail alliance?
    http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/home..html

Hoping to do a section or two during the 3rd week of March. Been on a few day hikes and overnighters around McDill Point. My son, daughter, and I did a little day hike out to McDill after Christmas. It started out a little rainy. Cloud deck was so low and thick that visibility was about 100 yards. It was really cool to be in the woods with the cloud cover but I was a little disappointed that my daughter couldn't see the views on her first trip out. About the time we got to McDill, the clouds dispersed, the sun came out and it was great. Laid out on the rocks, ate lunch, and enjoyed being with my kids. Beautiful area. Good luck on your hike.

Journal Entries

Ick so yeah that is what I was try to avoid.

I have been on there but, it is a bit difficult to understand from a phone screen.

Thanks for the heads up!

But, it would be cool to have walked through the entire Talladega National Forest. If I can find out for sure that my friend is going, I will probably suck it up and do the road walk. If not, I will stick to the woods. Feels safer somehow.

++ New Posts ++