WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Poo shovels

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I've own many a trowel listed above. Considering some of the ground I've dug in, I don't buy shoes or poles as viable options.
    -The plastic orange trowel also is a poor option. Not only is it heavy, it tends to break in Rocky soil where it doesn't have the strength needed.
    -Snow stake (aluminum) at 1oz. Dual use and will dig in hard ground. Not as efficient as other options below though.
    - Montbell's Handy Scoop at 1oz is Steele and works best in the hardest soil. Looks like a flat spoon. Used for years out west and for the PCT and AT.
    -Deuce of Spades @.6oz is a great overall trowel that I currently backpack with for the past 3 years with over a 1000 miles. Can dig in hard rocky ground without issue. Not as good at it as the Montbell's but good enough at half the weight.
    -Qiwiz's small shovel. Good trowel, but the handle hurts my hand in hard ground as the plastic paint isn't enough along with the small narrow handle. Probably should have got the larger size which likely is more comfortable. Carry it when I expect better ground to dig in. It is lighter than DofS above. Better than a boot for sure.
    -Suluk46 mentioned above. Also have it but also bothers my hand in Rocky soil. Very well made and light and usually is in my day pack since it weighs nothing.
    Thanks for the summary!

Images

I wrapped the handle of my Little Dig with a piece of Cuben repair tape, tiny weight increase, major comfort increase. Oh, and I peeled the dip stuff off first.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Does pooh bear ***** in the woods?
    Well I sure hope so. The last I need when I'm out in the woods is an encounter with a constipated bear.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Well I sure hope so. The last I need when I'm out in the woods is an encounter with a constipated bear.
    But you might then be able to outrun it! ; )

Well my "Deuce" came in. It looks great, and weighs almost nothing but damn this thing feels flimsy! It could be just a tad thicker. First impression I'm not overly confident in it, but if you guys have used it with good results then that's good enough for me. Second, the anodizing is GREAT! And lastly I'm glad to support an American company

Journal Entries
    Images

As you travel up the trail you find dozens of the orange shovels in hiker boxes. Folks find out early that they don't need a poop shovel. Each year I am a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin. The cabin is 1540 from Springer. I have never seen a thru-hiker that far up the trail with one.
    Grampie-N->2001

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    As you travel up the trail you find dozens of the orange shovels in hiker boxes. Folks find out early that they don't need a poop shovel. Each year I am a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond cabin. The cabin is 1540 from Springer. I have never seen a thru-hiker that far up the trail with one.
    Thru-hikers have a specialized and narrow skill set. I would not use thru-hikers as a paragon of what to take.

Based on the TP and turds I found under a rock doing trail work last summer on the CDT, I'd really question this advice. I supposed on the AT you can time your business so you do it in privies only...but that's perhaps not the best game plan.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Well my "Deuce" came in. It looks great, and weighs almost nothing but damn this thing feels flimsy! It could be just a tad thicker. First impression I'm not overly confident in it, but if you guys have used it with good results then that's good enough for me. Second, the anodizing is GREAT! And lastly I'm glad to support an American company

I've got the Deuce Scoop from Ductware. Titanium, weighs 22 grams, and is very sturdy. No flex in it at all. And made in the USA.
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/deuce-scoop.html

I'm using the same shovel the bear uses.

Journal Entries
    Images
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Anything else other than a trowel. They not designed for hiking and weight considerations

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Anything else other than a trowel. They not designed for hiking and weight considerations
    A number of us use this:

https://www.rei.com/product/845328/rei-co-op-snow-stake
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I wasn't sold when I got my deuce of spades In the mail but once you realize how to use it it's great. The shovel end fits great in my hand while using the handle to break through the tough soil. Then scoop it out. At camp I like to dig a hole when I hang my food. Then when nature calls there is no running around at any time. Everyone's schedule is different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    they also double as chop stix

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    So what are you advocating here? Some weird form of recycling?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I suppose I could use my Deuce of Spades as a spoon and save some weight...Might get some strange looks when someone sees me eating peanut butter off the end though.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    I'm using the same shovel the bear uses.
    given the times I've passed bear poop on the middle of the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I beg to differ. You just need a LIGHT trowel.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I suppose I could use my Deuce of Spades as a spoon and save some weight...Might get some strange looks when someone sees me eating peanut butter off the end though.
    nutela would certainly turn some heads.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm getting one now
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++