WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Poo shovels

Default Poo shovels

So I bought the heaviest shovel on earth apparently. The GSR poly shovel. Feels pretty light but after I posted it up in my inventory everyone schooled me on its weight issues. Now at first I thought you guys were crazy. I know ounces are pounds but come on, it's a SHOVEL! So I looked at a few links and there are a few options that are lighter (and cheaper) but not as sturdy (orange shovels) and some that are WAY more expensive but WAY lighter. So I figured since I already spent the $5 on my GSR shovel I would test it out. This is what I have so far:

Please post up your shovels/mods/findings and talk!!!!
    Last edited by llittle_llama; 01-31-2017 at 15:40.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Never carried a shovel on the AT before. I pass shelters often enough and if it's an emergency I don't need a shovel. Hiking stick, a piece of wood, a rock, whatever. I just go a ways from the trail (without getting lost...)

One idea I adopted was to get an REI snow stake:
    https://www.rei.com/product/845328/rei-co-op-snow-stake

costs $3, weighs an ounce, can be dual-use.

Images
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Never carried a shovel on the AT before. I pass shelters often enough and if it's an emergency I don't need a shovel. Hiking stick, a piece of wood, a rock, whatever. I just go a ways from the trail (without getting lost...)
    This comes up every time someone brings up the subject of pooping in the woods.

Given that it doesn't mater if you are the requisite minimum distance from the trail (typically about 100' I believe) or 1 mile from the trail... how you go about doing your business should still be the same, which includes digging a 6" deep cat hole. Based on the ground I've encountered in GSMNP and along the JMT, I don't see how anyone is going to dig an appropriately size cat hole in a reasonable amount of time without some sort of digging tool (trowel, tent peg, etc).

The ones I really have to laugh about are the ones that claim they just dig a hole with the heel of their boot.

As for shelters... I've only hike the section of the AT going thru GSMNP where I can only remember 4 of the 11 AT shelters having a privy (Spence, Mt Collines, Icewater Springs, and Pecks).

So who actually uses the "Deuce of Spades"?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I have used mine once since I bought it. Used the orange plastic before that and the plastic one was terrible if tough soil.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Here we go again......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Me for one...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    One idea I adopted was to get an REI snow stake:
    https://www.rei.com/product/845328/rei-co-op-snow-stake

costs $3, weighs an ounce, can be dual-use.
    I've been using an rei snow stake for a couple years now. Much easier than using my hiking pole like I used to.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

+1 Deuce of Spades. Great little trowel that can get through the rocky soil I frequently hike on.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

that's true that it can be difficult with a pole. Rarely have to use it, but I have used an msr groundhog stake with some success as well

that is a pretty light trowel though! I have definitely seen a "crapload" of shovels in hiker boxes, but theirs probably weren't .6 oz.
    I might consider that to upgrade the trowel I take on privy-less routes

Deuce of spades is bomb. Cuts a great hole. Last year on at section hikes I saw so much tp scattered all over the place it was disgusting. Don't use a trekking pole. You won't have time to widdle wood when nature calls. Get the deuce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Poo shovels

Don't use the deuce, but the very similar titanium Big Dig from Qiwiz. Weighs in at 0.6 oz. cuts through roots like nobody's business.

Last edited by Deacon; 01-31-2017 at 20:35.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I do. The inventor lives maybe 15 minutes away from me.

http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-deuce-of-spades

After finding a disgusting pile of poo and TP under a rock while doing trail work on the CDT, I really advocate a trowel of some sort. I converted before then. The trail surprise cemented my views.

I like one of the comments a person wrote:

"i admit to having dug my hole with a boot heel. Really it was only half a hole. Who want’s to be a Half-Hole?"

Last edited by Mags; 01-31-2017 at 20:38.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

That's it! I've figured out how to reduce crowding on the AT during the "bubble"......

Pack out your poop as a requirement!

There is def. some inhospitable ground in NC to dig a cathole in....Cheesecake Factory....you needed a backhoe to get it done around there...just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    That's it! I've figured out how to reduce crowding on the AT during the "bubble"......

There is def. some inhospitable ground in NC to dig a cathole in....Cheesecake Factory....you needed a backhoe to get it done around there...just sayin...
    That's why I say the people who say they use a boot heel are liars, or, they only dig a token hole so as not to feel guilty. There's no other way to dig deep enough with at least a sharp shovel.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post

The problem would be the lack of anyone to enforce it. Just like now when you see fields of tp blooms, Springer parking lot had a ridiculous number of these this July...
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The problem would be the lack of anyone to enforce it. Just like now when you see fields of tp blooms, Springer parking lot had a ridiculous number of these this July...
    Yeah. I was being sorta sarcastic...but...there are plenty of places you have to pack it out...

https://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsm...ck_in_out.html

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?...tions.html.csp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++