WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gloves for a thru hike

Do you need gloves for a southbound thru hike?

Do you need them?
    No.
    Will you want them?
    Yes. Definitely.
    Light WPB gloves or mittens over light synthetic or wool liners is a good versatile choice.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I think a better question is whether a SOBO should leave from Baxter with gloves or whether he should instead look for some cheap gloves at a Dollar Store when he hits Virginia. For someone leaving Baxter in early July, gloves would typically only be of value first thing in the morning on the coldest mornings, and then once you get the first mile under your belt you warm up enough to take them off. It hardly seems worthwhile for the first 1,000 or so miles.

Images

It will depend on when you are planning on starting your SOBO hike and how cold you get when in camp. Some people get cold a lot faster than others. Additionally, the weather through the White Mountains can be anything, at any time.

Personally, I do not typically find myself using gloves (in Maine, or New Hampshire) during the summer because of cold temperatures. I do like to carry a pair of latex-coated work gloves as a barrier against the rocks. (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip...3-48/100123073) The rocks of Maine and New Hampshire can be a bit rough on the hands when you find yourself having to grab the rocks to climb up/down. Just something to consider if your hands get easily shredded on rough rocks.

I wonder if I could put a button hole in a pair of socks that a thumb would fit through. For the opposing digit thing. Would it ruin the socks ? Or just a dumb idea ? Ha ha knit a thumb sock. No I have not bin smoking or drinking!

thom

yes, you need gloves. even if it's just those cheap brown cloth kind. It will keep your hands warm in the cold wind that you will encounter. Even if they are wet in a rain storm they will keep that wind off your hands. They are also useful around the campfire and when the skeeters are at their worst. I use those cheap leather garden gloves.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

You will probably want them. The Whites are no joke in the summer; I had 20° temps, 100mph winds, ice, and snow through there in June. I'd keep your cold weather gear all the way through Mt. Moosilauke or beyond.
    John GoodMan

Im gonna take a pair of cheap light black diamond belay gloves sobo with me. I live in maine and have hiked here and new hampshire extensively. Weather, rocks and keeping bugs off fingers.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I would take at least a light pair of liner gloves. Not much weight for the potential upside in comfort. I might even be tempted to take some ul w/b mittens.

I keep experimenting with gloves. It has been a learning experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth & Wasabi View Post
    I would take at least a light pair of liner gloves. Not much weight for the potential upside in comfort. I might even be tempted to take some ul w/b mittens.
    This is good advice. Freak weather events do happen and very cold hands are potentially dangerous...but even if you never use them, they only weigh about an ounce. Most of us carry more than that in the form of stuff that rarely comes out of the pack.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Experience is good too. I've had a number of gloves that just did not work out.

I think I'm on to a good set, paired up with surgical gloves for a waterproof liner.

But, I'll know more later after I've tried them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    Experience is good too. I've had a number of gloves that just did not work out.

I think I'm on to a good set, paired up with surgical gloves for a waterproof liner.

But, I'll know more later after I've tried them out.

How do do your hands breath in surgical gloves ? It would never work for me

thom

For most 3 season hiking, I carry a pair of MLD's event rain mitts at 1oz. weight. Though they can easily be layered on other gloves, I rarely do as they are plenty warm enough on their own and they cut the wind.. If anyone has had wet gloves on a cold morning when the wind is blowing, I think you understand why I prefer rain mitts to normal gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    How do do your hands breath in surgical gloves ? It would never work for me

thom
    I only use them when it is raining and I'm trying to keep my hands dry.

So I am not using them otherwise--same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Krippledprophet View Post
    Im gonna take a pair of cheap light black diamond belay gloves sobo with me. I live in maine and have hiked here and new hampshire extensively. Weather, rocks and keeping bugs off fingers.

Edit.

Keep in mind the rocks here are many and your hands if not weathered can and probably will get torn up on the hunt trail. It is a long scramble from tree line to the table lands
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I hiked from Springer to Bald Mountain (mile 325) in April and May. Some mornings my hands were so numb I couldn't use them to open my pack or food container. However once I started hiking, I wore a pair of sail handling gloves. They have leather in the palm, cloth elsewhere and no fingertips. The gloves proved to be perfect for hiking with my trekking poles and we're protective when I had to climb over trees or up boulders.

I did another 200 miles in October for which I brought along a pair of water proof mittens. I never put them on.

I really love Wristies. They warm the blood traveling to the fingers through the wrist. I wear them under 35º and add polypropylene glove liners for hiking and mittens for camp when temps drop under 32º.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

++ New Posts ++