WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default one week section hike?

I'm doing some initial planning for a section hike, about a week
    I have been looking into some stretches on the AT, perhaps amicaola to neels
    or maybe a section up in NC
    Still trying to consider where...
    and
    Learned about the BMT recently by reading here.

if I do it it will most likely be June or July timeframe
    maybe hiking with my son who'll be about 12.
    and I'm not as much about making miles as just having a nice hike and enjoying some nice places. I even like the idea of a zero day or near zero day, maybe, mid week camping someplace nice just hanging out enjoying a view or something....

I have only done a little bit of backpacking and that was years ago.... but have done a lot of camping

Just looking for input or comments of sections to consider
    Would the BMT maybe be a better trail to look at?
    less crowded perhaps?
    any stretches with some nice points of interest....

most of my BMT experience is in the Smokies, which I wouldn't recommend just because all of the red tape isn't very conducive to playing it by ear, as seems to be your desire.

the section through Joyce-Kilmer/Slickrock is great --definitely recommend it. Rather than doing a section hike, why not do a big loop through Kilmer-Slickrock-Citico wilderness. if you find yourself making good time, or behind schedule, you can tack-on/omit sections of trail as you go.

lots of fun sites to see in this area. let me know if you're interested and i'll elaborate if needed.

yes, definitely interested! I'll have to look closer at the map, don't have time at the moment...

A loop actually sounds great since it eliminates the need for shuttling and so on....
    I should have added to my original post that I am interested in doing the at section from the idea of knocking out the 1st section as a motivation to continue on and do the rest later.... but I'm more interested in just getting out there! so considering other ideas for sure!

how much experience do you have? how good shape are you in?

you might consider something else than either the AT or BMT. the Foothills trail in SC is very nice, 77 miles.

if you're not up on your fitness level, the Pinhoti runs from AL into GA where it terminates at the AT and elevation changes are not as drastic.

you didn't say when you will start but the FL trail can give you some good shake down runs before the weather gets good further north...

So the BMT enters the area after crossing the Cherohala Skyway at Beech Gap. not long after you'll cross over Bob Bald with nice views over towards the ridge that the Skyway traverses. there's an out-of-place looking patch of fir trees on the summit with a spring.

from the Bob, the BMT follows a four-ish mile ridgeline walk down to Naked Ground Gap and over to Haoe peak and the Hangover. this ridgeline is a classic hike, often knife-edged, with lots of winter views, gnarly and stunted trees, and giant plates of rock turned vertical like a stegosaurus spine. the Hangover is a heath bald with spectacular 360* views. the BMT continues down the ridge leading north from the Hangover and not too far below it passes by another heath bald with big views. (it just occurred to me that they've re-routed the BMT so many times through this stretch that I don't even know what the official route is anymore. the trails are there, nonetheless, whatever you want to call them.)

some other fun sites:
    --the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest (impressively large grove of poplars)
    --Slickrock Creek (several nice waterfalls and tons of nice creekside campsites)
    --North Fork of Citico is another fun creek trail, with Old Goat Falls as a bonus
    --mid June would be a good time to try to catch the rhododendron in bloom on the heath balds.
    --I believe it's July when the phlox on Bob Bald are in bloom.
    --along Calderwood Lake it's not uncommon to see bald eagles

For a relatively new backpacker with a 12 year old think about driving a little bit farther and think about this:

Mt. Rogers area. Park at Beartree Campground and make a loop with the Iron Mountain Trail (old AT in from the 70's) then cross over to the Va. Highlands using the AT. I have done twice with my son, the first time when he was 8. The terrain is not as demanding, the scenery of the highlands speaks for itself, there are a lot of trail options to make things longer or shorter as needed, you can dog leg to the state park and get snacks at the camp store, and if all goes wrong it is easy and economical to get a shuttle. Beartree campground has lake and showers. You are close to Damascus and could throw in a ride on the Va. Creeper. Twelve is a good age to backpack, but (I'm assuming he hasn't been backpacking) his aptitude could break either way. Planning a loop like this will provide challenge and a lot of bang for the buck, but if the hike itself doesn't go well then you have tons of options.
    Good Luck!

Oh. And the Foothills Trail. So many trails, so little time.

ha ha
    yeah, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed trying to look all these places up on online maps.
    I think I'll order up some topo charts and get busy with a pencil!

Secondmouse, to answer your questions.....
    well, yeah, those questions are key aren't they, in making meaningful suggestions.
    generally, not very.... but I'm knowledgable about the topic... and I know what I don't know.... if that makes sense.
    I did a little backpacking but it was along time ago back in my college days and after....
    I have done a lot of camping though of all sorts my whole life.... primitive to tailgate camping. And have enjoyed day hiking a fair bit
    More recently I've 'leaned' towards minimalistic style camping a bit while camping with my son's boy scout troop as I have been starting to re-build some backpacking kit.
    And yeah, he's not experienced really either, although he's camped with the scouts a good bit and has some gear. He may not even be interested in going anyway. Might just be me. He's certainly not interested at the moment.
    I am certainly open to other trails, in fact I'm also looking to do some short overnight hikes around here.... and I have looked at the Florida trial, although it really doesn't interest me all that much. I don't belong in Florida, much happier in the hills. I'll probably branch out a bit more after I do some local stuff and head over the central areas of Florida West of here, or into the panhandle where there are some hills and do some conditioning trips there too.
    In the end though, I'm not so much about making the miles so if I get up there and my miles per day is a bit low, well that's ok by me.

Living in FL... what about paddling? There is the Okefenokee and the tent pads. The Santa Fe has a developed enough paddling trail. Upper Suwannee. St. Mary's. etc. etc.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing some of that too! I used to paddle a yak years ago when I lived in the Tampa area. Always wanted to get down to the 10,000 islands area and do some platform or beach camping but never made it. I've actually been dropping hints every chance I get to son's scout troop about the idea of doing overnight paddle trips like that, camping on sandbars in the Suwanee perhaps, instead of doing a week of traditional summer camp. The troop does an annual canoe trip but they home base in establish campgrounds and plop camp. I'm hoping as my son gets older that I might infect them for a taste of adventure.
    One of my good memories is doing an overnight canoe trip like that on a river up in KY with my dad

++ New Posts ++