WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Opinions on HMG ultamid 2?

After much research and thought, this is the new shelter I am going to be ordering tomorrow. I'm moving away from hammocks and my Hilleberg is just too much tent for most of the year. Any reason why anyone would not recommend the ultamid 2?

Holy ship....$400 for the cuben duomid was enough for me...$695 seems steep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's steep, but I haven't been able to find one bad review of this Shelter! I also got the dcf11 cuben insert as well..I shall find out Wednesday how much I like it

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    It's steep, but I haven't been able to find one bad review of this Shelter! I also got the dcf11 cuben insert as well..I shall find out Wednesday how much I like it
    Is it just a mid tarp or does that price Inc inner net?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Is it just a mid tarp or does that price Inc inner net?

That price just includes the mid and the guy lines. You have to order everything else separate. I did order it in green, because I very rarely camp in the snow, and usually that's only an accident!

I'm imagining, and hoping, that since the mid Shelter never has to have friction with the ground it should last a very long time.

The Echo II shelter comes with everything, the inner, included. I emailed HMG to to clarify before ordering. I actually thought for that price it would include the mid

The Echo II shelter comes with everything, the inner, included. I emailed HMG to to clarify before ordering. I actually thought for that price it would include the mid
    Curious how you justified $ of MLD?

Well, the other Shelter I was considering was the duplex. Had something been damaged beyond repair on the duplex I would be out of luck and having to order a new one. Also, I've heard too many stories about quality control on their tents, I didn't like how everything was fully integrated, and it wasn't drastically cheaper.

I like the mid because the expensive part of the shelter should, in theory, never wear out. The insert will in time, but that's only 375 dollars. I also like the versatility of the mid- being able to just use the mid, or just use the cuben bug net if only one or the other is needed. Being a user of the Hilleberg Soulo, I think I will enjoy the additional headroom as well.

Also..I could ship via FedEx instead of the dreaded post office!

From what I understand the inserts are not actually needed unless you are extreme environments..but you pack your fears right? I'm more than glad to carry the weight of the mid to keep spiders out!

I'm more than glad to carry the weight of the mid to keep spiders out!
    I don't understand. The mid itself won't keep out the spiders. The insert will, however.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I don't understand. The mid itself won't keep out the spiders. The insert will, however.
    That's what I meant, I misspoke. I didn't notice until you pointed that out, thank you!

That's what I meant, I misspoke. I didn't notice until you pointed that out, thank you!
    Late to the party, I know. I was just looking at the UltaMid 2 online and I have to admit I'm astounded by the price. It looks like $735 for the tent itself, and another $300 to $400 for a floored insert (depending on whether it's the half or full). You're in for well over $1,000. I see it gets positive reviews, but is it really that much better than its competition? I suppose if you're looking at only weight, the tent with half insert is only slightly over 2 pounds, which is really good. So maybe that's what you're really paying for. I do like their use of trekking poles as the support, I think that's an innovative and efficient way to handle that function. OTOH, the Big Agnes Fly Creek is under $400 but appears to add about another 1 to 2 pounds with footprint and fly (if I'm reading the numbers correctly). I'm not really familiar with Hyperlite brand, but it kind of seems like it's really just for the "I want to go ultralight and money is no object" crowd? Or is there something in my math or understanding of what to order that's incorrect? Thanks for any comments.

John M.
    Naples, FL

++ New Posts ++