WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Any BMT thru hikers this year?

Out of curiosity, is anyone else here planning to thru hike the BMT this spring? I plan to start NOBO from Springer at the end of March as part of an AT attempt this year. Just wondering if anyone else has the BMT in their hiking plans.

That's awesome! I imagine I'll see a few more hikers, but not many. Avoiding crowds is one reason I am doing the BMT for the first part of my AT hike.

Quote Originally Posted by hailstreak View Post
    That's awesome! I imagine I'll see a few more hikers, but not many. Avoiding crowds is one reason I am doing the BMT for the first part of my AT hike.
    I section hiked the entire trail 2 years ago. Except for a few places, I didn't see more than 5-6 backpackers the entire trail.

If solitude is your goal, the BMT is the right choice for you. I prefer it to the AT for that reason.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I section hiked the entire trail 2 years ago. Except for a few places, I didn't see more than 5-6 backpackers the entire trail.

If solitude is your goal, the BMT is the right choice for you. I prefer it to the AT for that reason.
    Unless you hike the GA section during the Cruel Jewel. Then you will see many people and they will run by, shining their lights on your tent until 1 am.

Images

I'm planning either a nobo thru of the BMT or a Figure 8 circuit of the BMT/AT starting hopefully in mid-March. Have to get some major home repair projects done first and the anticipated hike is the incentive to keep my nose to the grindstone.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

For those familiar with the BMT, is hitchhiking problematic? I am getting closer to my start date and am starting to think about resupply. I am considering carrying 6-7 days of food, resupplying in Ducktown and Fontana (maybe Cherokee too). Assuming the weather is favorable, I would plan to average at least 15 miles a day (I am a fast hiker). But Ducktown looks to be a potentially a difficult hitch. Would I have better luck stopping earlier in Blue Ridge and sending a mail drop to Green Cove perhaps?

For those familiar with the BMT, is hitchhiking problematic? I am getting closer to my start date and am starting to think about resupply. I am considering carrying 6-7 days of food, resupplying in Ducktown and Fontana (maybe Cherokee too). Assuming the weather is favorable, I would plan to average at least 15 miles a day (I am a fast hiker). But Ducktown looks to be a potentially a difficult hitch. Would I have better luck stopping earlier in Blue Ridge and sending a mail drop to Green Cove perhaps?
    Maybe consider Blue Ridge, Reliance (you walk right by Webb Brothers), Fontana, and Cherokee. I'm not sure you want to walk to Green Cove.

Your only hitch will be to Cherokee and that should be easy.

You can walk into Blue Ridge, although it's several miles on the wide shoulder of a highway. (America's Best Value Inn is cheap and decent).

In Reliance, if the Hiwassee Angler outfitter is open, you can get a free shower.

Webb Bros store has next to nothing foodwise. Ducktown would be a fairly easy hitch as the traffic on hiway 64 is madness itself---ALOT OF CARS AND TRUCKS. Green Cove store has minimal food.

I pulled a BMT trip a couple years ago and backpacked from the fish hatchery on Tellico River to the northern terminus of the Pinhoti(south of Watson Gap all on the BMT) and did so with one food load. I have never resupplied on any of my BMT trips, but then I'm willing to carry 45 lbs of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Webb Bros store has next to nothing foodwise. Ducktown would be a fairly easy hitch as the traffic on hiway 64 is madness itself---ALOT OF CARS AND TRUCKS. Green Cove store has minimal food.

I pulled a BMT trip a couple years ago and backpacked from the fish hatchery on Tellico River to the northern terminus of the Pinhoti(all on the BMT) and did so with one food load. I have never resupplies on any of my BMT trips, but then I'm willing to carry 45 lbs of food.
    What I saw at Webb Brothers was adequate for me but YMMV.

Wow. I didn't realize that Webb Brothers was an option. Are we talking just canned beans or more typical hiker fare? Would hate to count on it for re-supply only to discover inadequate selection.

Is the road walk to Green Cove bad? The guide indicates 1.4 miles. I was thinking of getting a room there and the mail drop makes sense.

I'll obviously give some of these establishments a call before I head out. Thanks for the info.

Images

Is the road walk to Green Cove bad? The guide indicates 1.4 miles

naw..........its not bad.............not much of a shoulder but easy to walk...

and might be able to get a hitch along this pretty easy........

not sure how the rooms are there though......

Wow. I didn't realize that Webb Brothers was an option. Are we talking just canned beans or more typical hiker fare? Would hate to count on it for re-supply only to discover inadequate selection.

Is the road walk to Green Cove bad? The guide indicates 1.4 miles. I was thinking of getting a room there and the mail drop makes sense.

I'll obviously give some of these establishments a call before I head out. Thanks for the info.
    Yeah, you'd best call. I don't have much of an appetite when I hike and was there at the height of their season so maybe the shelves were better stocked (?). The last I heard, they will hold hiker boxes. You can also check with Reliance fly and tackle to see what they offer for resupply.

If all you want is a bed and shower, Green Cove should be fine, although the few times I've been on that end of River Road, there was little traffic...but again, YMMV, I was there during off-seasons.

Have a great hike.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but if you haven't planned on it, I would encourage you to have maps PLUS the guidebook. I agree with most who say maps are not necessary on the AT (although I carry them) however the BMT is a different animal. Good luck on your hike, I think the route you are taking is a wise alternative. I much prefer the BMT through the Smokies over the AT for several reasons, one of which is to get away from the shelters.

In Reliance I would be hard pressed to do a resupply at Webb Brothers...the store at Reliance Fly and Tackle seems to carry more stuff although they are not geared towards backpackers. I believe the lady working there when I stopped by last summer said she may see 1-2 per week. A lot different than what they see at Neal's Gap or in Hot Springs. If you are finicky about what you eat, have special dietary needs or overly considered about weight I would mail drop into Reliance.

Thanks for the info, 4shot. I am definitely taking Nat Geo maps and SGT Rock's guide. I hiked the AT from Fontana to Newfound Gap two years ago in late May and it was packed with hikers. March and April would be insane. Plus I hate shelters, so the BMT makes much more sense for me. As of right now, I am planning to re-supply in Blue Ridge, Reliance (mail drop), Fontana (mail drop), and Cherokee. I still have several weeks to figure it out.

I am now far enough along in actual planning and provisioning to say that I will thru-hike NOBO starting in mid-April and hoping to finish in 21 days. I have done some thru-hiking but never set foot on the BMT. Can't wait!

I and one of my friends are planning to do a Southbound hike in June. I wonder how many people thru-hike the BMT every year? I fell in love with this trail while doing the Georgia section last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunts View Post
    I and one of my friends are planning to do a Southbound hike in June. I wonder how many people thru-hike the BMT every year? I fell in love with this trail while doing the Georgia section last spring.
    There is a list of thru hikers (and section hikers who have completed the trail) on the BMTA site, at least those that registered their hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am contemplating doing this hike this year at sometime.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

I am planning on a September NOBO.
    More walking, less talking.

++ New Posts ++