WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Deconstructing a Duplex

Has anyone ever cut the noseeum mesh out of a Duplex and used the "tarp" part and bathtub floor separately? I'm obviously hesitant to do this due to the expense of the Duplex but I like the idea of a modular system

Haven't done it. Imo, better to buy the PRICEY $375 CF tarp building up from there. I did build up the Altraplex which was bought used in great condition. $$ and Wt can be saved making your own bathtub floor and bug netting. I used a S2S Nano net and piece of polycro made into a bathtub for the Altraplex. Again, saved wt and $$ AND I'm component/modular oriented. Was a good learning experience for me.

Journal Entries

IF its what you know you want...knock youself out

If your just experimentin....your throwing a few hundred $ away

Which is OK if you can afford to do that.

In the good ol days joe would have modded it for you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Haven't done it. Imo, better to buy the PRICEY $375 CF tarp building up from there. I did build up the Altraplex which was bought used in great condition. $$ and Wt can be saved making your own bathtub floor and bug netting. I used a S2S Nano net and piece of polycro made into a bathtub for the Altraplex. Again, saved wt and $$ AND I'm component/modular oriented. Was a good learning experience for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    IF its what you know you want...knock youself out

If your just experimentin....your throwing a few hundred $ away

Which is OK if you can afford to do that.

In the good ol days joe would have modded it for you.....
    I can't really afford to just throw money away, I'm just curious if anyone else has tried it. I don't want to invest more money and I already have a CF tarp, just quite a bit larger than what is easy to fit in a tight space.

Images

You can buy the duplex as a tarp without floor and bugnet. Cost wise you would be better off selling your tent as is, and then buying the tarp and sewing your own inner net. I did this with a soloplus for my sister because she wanted to be able to use the bugnet in the shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    You can buy the duplex as a tarp without floor and bugnet. Cost wise you would be better off selling your tent as is, and then buying the tarp and sewing your own inner net. I did this with a soloplus for my sister because she wanted to be able to use the bugnet in the shelters.
    Yeah, looking at the prices of the Duplex tarp and the bath tub floor it would be better. I'm definitely leaning more towards just using my hammock tarp anyway since it has doors and buying the bathtub floor.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I can't really afford to just throw money away, I'm just curious if anyone else has tried it. I don't want to invest more money and I already have a CF tarp, just quite a bit larger than what is easy to fit in a tight space.
    Do what Sandy said which is what I was initially thinking.

Even IF you do what sandy suggested...Now, we have another conditional factor added in...a tarp that fits in a tighter space. 1) Umm, don't go with the Duplex as it commands a large footprint with the guy lines!!! There are definitely other tarp tents and tarps that can fit into smaller sites. 2) Explore alternative shaped or flat tarp configurations that don't take up as much space.

You have to find a balance somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Yeah, looking at the prices of the Duplex tarp and the bath tub floor it would be better. I'm definitely leaning more towards just using my hammock tarp anyway since it has doors and buying the bathtub floor.

If this is for the CT hike with 10-K have you considered hanging with the option of going to the ground? Lots of flexibility being able to set up shelter/sleep system to hang while all being able to set up hammock on the ground with trekking poles mixed with possible tarping under a sufficient coverage sized hammock tarp while also cowboying. That's mega shelter/sleep versatility for a CT hike.

If this is for the CT hike with 10-K have you considered hanging with the option of going to the ground? Lots of flexibility being able to set up shelter/sleep system to hang while all being able to set up hammock on the ground with trekking poles mixed with possible tarping under a sufficient coverage sized hammock tarp while also cowboying. That's mega shelter/sleep versatility for a CT hike.
    It was just a general curiosity really, not with anything specific in mind. I'm trying to stay as light as possible so don't really want to take two sleep systems and I haven't had any hammock experience yet except in my backyard. I've read from several CT hikers that took hammocks that if they did it again they would take a tent. My hammock tarp is 11ft long but definitely pretty versatile I think which is why I think I'll be going that route.

If your'e trying to stay as light as possible don't cut out the attached netting or floor of teh Duplex. You'll be leaving some added wt.

Let me clarify about the hammock. Although I have little experience doing it some savvy hangers have learned to set up and sleep inside their hammocks on the ground frame/pead pod style. There are a couple of You tube vids showing how this is done. So, one shelter all the way. Needing just a tarp set up use the hammock tarp you have on the ground if you're using trekking poles. If weather is clear throw down a ground sheet which can simply be the hammock or hammock tarp and gaze upwards. Want to hang camp below treeline. One shelter does it all using different components in different ways. On the CDT for about a month I brought some UL climbing cams to hang from wedged between rock rock faces above treelike which was AWESOME on clear nights on the exposed ridge lines. I shoulda took some pics.

I did just that. I bought a duplex tarp and a separate bathtub floor, then connected the floor to the tarp with stick-on loop connectors. The whole affair weighed in at 15 ounces.

The bathtub sides didn't stand up like the floor in a regular duplex tent, except at the head and foot ends. The sides were too long with nothing to hold them up.

I finally sent it back and had it converted to a full tent though. Even so this worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I did just that. I bought a duplex tarp and a separate bathtub floor, then connected the floor to the tarp with stick-on loop connectors. The whole affair weighed in at 15 ounces.

The bathtub sides didn't stand up like the floor in a regular duplex tent, except at the head and foot ends. The sides were too long with nothing to hold them up.

I finally sent it back and had it converted to a full tent though. Even so this worked very well.
    This is really good to know. I might have to rethink that idea then.

Hmm? Depending on how its' erected a separate modular bathtub floor under a Duplex or Altraplex certainly can be made to work(Read the side top hem of the bathtub floor drawn tight by bungee to the inside corners).

Hmm? Depending on how its' erected a separate modular bathtub floor under a Duplex or Altraplex certainly can be made to work(Read the side top hem of the bathtub floor drawn tight by bungee to the inside corners).
    I was looking at the solo plus bathtub ground sheet, not the twin or Duplex one. It's hexagonal in shape so maybe the walls will stay up better.

Images

Soloplus bathtub is smaller. The shape is held by clipping it to the soloplus tarp in 6 places including the front trekking pole. The twin groundsheet is for the Twin Hexamid which is now discontinued, it clipped in the same. The Duplex is a whole different design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Soloplus bathtub is smaller. The shape is held by clipping it to the soloplus tarp in 6 places including the front trekking pole. The twin groundsheet is for the Twin Hexamid which is now discontinued, it clipped in the same. The Duplex is a whole different design.
    So the soloplus won't hold it's shape and the walls won't stand up by themselves?

Images

Nope, plus the groundsheets for the older Hexamid only have a 5 inch bathtub, whereas your Duplex has an 8 inch bathtub. Take a close look at the Hexamid photos on Zpacks website and you will see the little bungie cords with mitten hooks in each corner. Those groundsheets go over a bugnet floor.

Misunderstood. Now, I see what you were referring to Deacon. My mistake. Thx for clarifying all that Sandy and Dunne Elliot. I was trying to figure all that out with the different mixed configurations of different components which have been discontinued and/or amended.

DE also built up a Hexamid Plus Tarp only by modular components the way you are wishing. No matter what I tried I couldn't fit with my height. Sold it.

I don't know if the side collapse on the floor is really that big of an issue. You still have the doors to close off the outside and if the tub side aren't fully up, then do what.

++ New Posts ++