WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Double check my (late March) pack list (pretty please)

Here's what I have so far (be gentle):

CLICK ME!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by llittle_llama; 01-30-2017 at 14:26.

I would drop the Nalgene and use either a SmartWater bottle (comes already filled!) or a 32oz. Gatorade or Powerade bottle. Am I seeing two sleeping bags? I'd take the warmer one; you can always drape it over you like a quilt or leave it unzipped to vent -- or maybe you're listing both and are planning to swap them out, which is okay, too.

I'm a hammocker, so I don't know about the tent and mattress weights. Another ground dweller will be along soon I'm sure.

I have that Sea-to-Summit utensil set, and dropped it for a TI spork I got for $12. I keep it as a backup or loaner, because it's not heavy, but this is lighter. My brother carries a plastic spoon from an army MRE, and it's pretty stout for plastic. DQ Frosty spoons are stout, too, and are long handled. All those options are cheap and light.

That's my first impression. Happy trails!

Link requires registration, might try posting it directly.

I assume you will also be bringing along some clothes and some other little odds and ends?

First aid (mostly bister repair)?
    Water treatment (filter)?
    Pocket knife?
    Bear bagging line?
    Phone/charger/battery pack?
    Camera (if not using phone)?
    Guide book?

A 32 oz Nalgene is pretty big and heavy - A couple of plastic soda or water bottles work just as well, lighter and easy to replace.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

With that sleep system I may never hike again. I'd just stay toasty in that cocoon, catch squirrels to eat, or camp somewhere near a road that delivers pizza, fried chicken, and Chinese food. If I got WIFI...

So I'm hearing ditch the higher temp sleeping bag out of the two correct? Between the Nalgene and Smartwater bottles, while I love the size and shape of the SW bottle I prefer the N bottles. No leaching, no chance of it popping if I fall over on it, and even though it does come pre-filled (smartwater is the best tasting water IMHO) that is hardly a selling point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I assume you will also be bringing along some clothes and some other little odds and ends?

First aid (mostly bister repair)?
    Water treatment (filter)?
    Pocket knife?
    Bear bagging line?
    Phone/charger/battery pack?
    Camera (if not using phone)?
    Guide book?

A 32 oz Nalgene is pretty big and heavy - A couple of plastic soda or water bottles work just as well, lighter and easy to replace.

Clothing: Already purchased, need to get squared away and weighed.

First Aid: I'm still looking for a good list of things to bring and then start the packing.

Water treatment: I have the Sawyer flow thru, but I'm not liking it. I want to go to chlorine tabs but don't know about making the switch.

Pocket knife: I have a small knife (about 5 inches handle included) fixed blade with 550 cord handle (I wrapped with cord from my army unit, not wal-mart crap)

Bear bag line: Wasn't sure if a bear bag was required or not, but I have PLENTY of 550 cord.

Phone/charger/battery: I have an Anker bank, a goal zero nomad, and a goal zero Lighthouse. Not taking everything, I'm just trying to figure out what combination of things/which I want to bring.

Camera: iPhone 7+

Guide book:
    I am purchasing the Guthook once I hit the trail, but I also own the 2017 AT guide NOBO. I have the PDF AND the print copy so my wife can follow along. Again, not sure what combo/which I'm going to take yet.

A huge +1 to deleting one sleeping bag.

I suggest leaving the tent footprint behind. A quick sweep of your site will clear any rocks or sticks sharp enough to puncture the tent, and I've yet to see a tent floor develop a hole just from general wear and tear.

To me the bigger issue with Nalgene bottles is the weight, at around 4x that of a smarwater bottle. They're just overbuilt for 3 season hiking. Ounces become pounds.

If the utensil set includes more than a spoon you could leave the others behind. In my experience it is wishful thinking for hiker cuisine to require anything more than a spoon to eat.

There are much lighter poo shovels available under 1 ounce. The Qi Wiz series is pretty popular around these parts.

Depending on the size of the pot you could delete the cup and use the pot for food and beverage. My 850ml pot is just the right size that it doesn't feel like drinking out of a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Link requires registration, might try posting it directly.

Link removed, better picture uploaded

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    A huge +1 to deleting one sleeping bag.
    It was more of an either or. I wasn't sure which one to bring. I'm assuming I should just sell the other then.

I suggest leaving the tent footprint behind. A quick sweep of your site will clear any rocks or sticks sharp enough to puncture the tent, and I've yet to see a tent floor develop a hole just from general wear and tear.
    Good thinking. I would have cleaned up well before dropping the tent anyway to the purpose of the footprint would have been redundant anyway.

To me the bigger issue with Nalgene bottles is the weight, at around 4x that of a smarwater bottle. They're just overbuilt for 3 season hiking. Ounces become pounds.
    I totally understand. I really really really do. This is just one of those things I won't give up. Until my house fire last year I have about a dozen of them and used them for different things. I had 4 of the ATC ones I never used that I just liked because the money went to support the trail and all were lost to the fire I just really like my bottles after using canteens in the Army so long and won't swap them out.

If the utensil set includes more than a spoon you could leave the others behind. In my experience it is wishful thinking for hiker cuisine to require anything more than a spoon to eat.
    The set is a knife, spoon, and fork set. I had no intention of bringing the whole set but the weight on my scale only does 1 ounce increments and did the set as an ounce so I just posted it as the set.

There are much lighter poo shovels available under 1 ounce. The Qi Wiz series is pretty popular around these parts.
    Is it really worth the money to cut weight there? Are there better places to cut weight that will cost less?

Depending on the size of the pot you could delete the cup and use the pot for food and beverage. My 850ml pot is just the right size that it doesn't feel like drinking out of a bucket.
    I'm fine eating out of my pot, but I'm hiking with my pup and she will be dining with me. The cup will be her food bowl.

Are there 2 people going? Tent is big/heavy. Your pack is good but heavy, mine squeeked and was annoying. If you have potential to return it, it may be worth considering the lightweight options. Not sure of your stove/fuel plan, 13 oz for fuel is a lot for canister, should be able to do 1 4oz canister and get resupply or 2 if you plan to cook a lot.

I was a hammock guy prior to this hike and will be using this tent for the first time on this hike. I'm honestly waffling back and forth between my eno double nest and the hammock. It's just me and my 12 pound puppers and that's all it ever will be.

Okay, if your going to make a gear list and ask what's missing, you need to list EVERYTHING which will be in the pack and since you'll have a dog, you need to also list all the dog related stuff. And remember, the only dogs which go the distance are the ones which aren't loaded down with a pack and crap. YOU need to carry it all, not the dog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Okay, if your going to make a gear list and ask what's missing, you need to list EVERYTHING which will be in the pack and since you'll have a dog, you need to also list all the dog related stuff. And remember, the only dogs which go the distance are the ones which aren't loaded down with a pack and crap. YOU need to carry it all, not the dog.
    I wasn't asking really what was missing, but what everyone thought about what I had assembled thus far. I have a lot more but I was both weighing things and dehydrating last night and wanted to start throwing my list up to get feedback.

I also have but not listed or weighed (because I need to find my table scale) my stove, clothes, buffs, hats, (actually weigh and not just read the weight off the bottle) fuel, hammock and accessories, so on.

Tonight I'll be getting the tent out and seeing how well it sleeps and how I like it. I'll spend the night in it with all my junk and probably my youngest 2 puppers just so they can play. I've never actually set up my complete hammock though, I've just used the hammock itself with a sleeping bag so I'll have to try out the whole thing before I decide that too. I was afraid there would be no place to hang it because of the fires so that's why I went tent.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post

Is it really worth the money to cut weight there? Are there better places to cut weight that will cost less?
    That's entirely a personal call. It can be helpful to break it down to cost per ounce. So you would stand to save about 3 ounces by switching from the current trowel at about $10-13 per ounce depending on what size you get. That's on the lower side of what it can cost. That said if the budget is limited I would be more inclined to put everything towards replacing the nearly 4 pound sleeping bag or 5.5 pound tent than shaving ounces here and there.

Thoughts on this one? I like the idea...

sleeping bag
    Last edited by llittle_llama; 01-30-2017 at 11:11.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Thoughts on this one? I like the idea...

https://www.rei.com/product/865355/s...n-sleeping-bag
    So you haven't bought your sleeping bag yet? If so, I would suggest getting a 20f quilt. It'll work for your start, and save you a lot of weight.
    You are really on the heavy side with the tent/pack being heavy, so a couple light pieces like the quilt will help you out when you're loaded with food & water.
    No experience with that mat, but seems fine

Definitely no footprint, or at least not that 10 oz one.
    I also wouldn't bring the pelican case. Is that for your phone or something? I just put it in a ziplock with soft gear, or in a pocket to be accessible for pictures

The Pelican case is for my Meds REALLY need that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    So you haven't bought your sleeping bag yet? If so, I would suggest getting a 20f quilt. It'll work for your start, and save you a lot of weight.
    You are really on the heavy side with the tent/pack being heavy, so a couple light pieces like the quilt will help you out when you're loaded with food & water.
    No experience with that mat, but seems fine

Definitely no footprint, or at least not that 10 oz one.
    I also wouldn't bring the pelican case. Is that for your phone or something? I just put it in a ziplock with soft gear, or in a pocket to be accessible for pictures
    No, I have 2 sleeping bags right now. One I just bought from REI at the garage sale that I really liked and the other I bought a few years back. Tent/footpad I bought at the GS as well so I am "stuck" with those as well. I can get a different sleeping bag, but replacing the tent will be a bit harder to convince the wife to let me do.

Leonidas
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++