WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    You know I looked at that and I thought that the aluminum wouldn't hold up. I REALLY like that shovel too! Has anyone used one of those? I know we're not digging for gold or making 6 foot deep holes but I was just worried I would get 100 miles down the trail and have an inch worn down from the tip of the thing.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    You know I looked at that and I thought that the aluminum wouldn't hold up. I REALLY like that shovel too! Has anyone used one of those? I know we're not digging for gold or making 6 foot deep holes but I was just worried I would get 100 miles down the trail and have an inch worn down from the tip of the thing.
    I have only used mine once in the Smokies, no privy at Davenport Gap Shelter. First hundred miles you will pass a lot of privies! But on a serious note, I only have that one use so I can't tell you how durable it is long term.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Well I am REALLY liking that sleeping bag I linked to earlier. That thing saves me 2+ pounds, plus I like the way it sleeps. I'm just waiting for someone to chime in with a "Yeah it's great" or a "DON'T DO IT!!!" before I take the plunge

Ok, new link posted in the first post! Much better weight system

Leonidas

Your big 3/4 are still just shy of 14 lbs. I understand money being an issue but you realistically want to get close to 6 lbs for your overall comfort. With food and water you may easily be in the 40-50 lb range. The caveat could be that the pack handles that well and is comfortable with that much weight. We hiked with a couple that were carrying 70 lb expedition packs to prep for a Rainier summit and they had no issues. Hard to say without loading it up with sandbags or something and going hiking all day.

Tent can definitely see improvement at the least. Check the other thread as I linked you a $180 30 oz option.

Just some things to consider.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

There is a nice 30 quilt on enlighted equipment warehouse right now discounted to $240, just over 1lb. 1.5lbs savings for $100, people are paying $60 to get an ounce somtimes in a sleeping bag.

What you have listed is decent gear, just heavy. Really heavy for a solo hiker. Or sorta solo hiker since you've going with a dog. Remember, weight is your enemy on the trail. Look for the lightest option that will serve its function. You can decide later if you want to upgrade a particular item & go heavier. I'll go through you list & insert a quick recommendation as well as other options.
    * Trowel - listed @ 3.5 oz; use 0.6 oz trowel (titanium); save 2.9 oz
    * Pack - listed @ ~4.5 lbs; easily pick a pack (e.g. ULA Circuit) around 2.5 lbs; save 2 lbs
    * Pelican case for meds @ 6 oz; ziplock for 0.5 oz (unless a hard case is needed for a specific reason); save 5.5 oz (is there a medical reason for the hard case? If not, ziplock it)
    * Pack cover - listed @ 4 oz; you could easily get a lighter pack cover & add a trash compactor bag; same weight but better waterproofing
    * BD Storm Headlight - listed @ 4 oz; switch to BD Ion @ 1.9 oz (2 double-A batteries); save 2.1 oz; typically, night hiking is seldom done; just some late night potty runs
    * Nalgene bottle (48 oz) @ 7 oz; switch to 2, 1-L Ozarka water bottles (or similar) @ 0.7 oz each, 1.4 oz total; save 5.6 oz (water weighs 2.2 lbs per liter; the only variable is the weight of the container)
    * Sea to Summit Cookset @ 9.5 oz (pot & cup); switch to 0.9L Evernew Titanium pot (5.1 oz) & same cup (Sea to Summit X-Mug @ 2.2 oz) for a total of 7.3 oz; save 2.2 oz
    * Fuel canister base @ 1 oz; ditch it; save 1 oz; your rig isn't that tippy
    * Utensil kit @ 1 oz; carry just a spoon save 0.6 oz
    * MSR Micro Rocket weight isn't listed; probably around 4 oz w/ case; swap it out for a Soto Windmaster for 2.8 oz; save 1.2 oz
    * MSR fuel canister @ 13.1 oz; no change unless you want a smaller fuel canister that costs more per oz of fuel
    * Sleeping pad @ 19.5 oz; swap to NeoAir Xlite @ 13.5 oz; save 6 oz
    * Sleeping bag @ 42 oz; carry 20 deg quilt @ 19.5 oz; save 22.5 oz
    * Half Dome tent @ 87.5 oz; switch to Big Agnes Fly Creek UL-2 @ 41.6 oz; save 45.9 oz (other lighter options available if you want to spend big bucks)
    TOTAL SAVINGS: 127.5 oz or 7.97 lbs

If you lighten your pack now, your joints will thank you later. Remember, each item you carry must be justified. Do you really need that item? Is there a lighter option? Is it a 'I always carry this' item? Don't automatically defend your original equipment choice. Look at it objectively & critically.

Good luck in your gear selection process.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Just snagged a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 from the FS section! I just need stakes for it and a small patch kit and I'm good on that front!!!

Images

Ditch the Nalgene...I did read that you don't want to, but carrying a half-pound which serves zero functional purpose over it's alternative is self-defeating. Especially when weight is one of the greatest obstacles for a successful thru-hike. By doing this, you are helping yourself to take the big step mentally to recognizing needs versus wants and what ifs. That's what is going to lighten your load and simplify your life on the trail. Like CarlZ993 said above, look critically at what's in your pack and be able to justify why it's there.

As mentioned, the weight of your big 4 is excessive. I also know how hard it is to spend money that isn't really available, but I would seriously look at a 20* quilt as mentioned. Pricey, but super light and as long as you buy it WIDE ENOUGH, it's going to provide more than enough warmth at a weight much lower than a comparable bag. Take a look at Tarptents...great bang for the buck!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Leonidas

Another variable I keep forgetting is the dog. How much food and other dog stuff are you carrying? I believe you mentioned putting the dog in the top of your pack as well if it gets tired, the heavyweight pack you have may be of benefit here. So realistically, even if he gets all of his gear weight down, he still has to account for the dogs food at a minimum and the ability to carry the dog if I did recall that correctly. 30 lb max comfort UL/lightweight packs aren't going to cut it most likely.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

What about using a tent stake as a shovel, dual purpose. And I am talking about a beefy tent stake.

Water treatment: I have the Sawyer flow thru, but I'm not liking it. I want to go to chlorine tabs but don't know about making the switch.
    You will get different opinions on this, but the chemicals that kill bacteria in your water also kill bacteria in your gut. You need a proper bacterial and fungal balance in your gut. I realize that chlorine breaks down fairly fast when left in sunlight and exposed to air, but filtering water will ensure that you are not adding chemicals to your stomach.

I was a hammock guy prior to this hike and will be using this tent for the first time on this hike. I'm honestly waffling back and forth between my eno double nest and the hammock. It's just me and my 12 pound puppers and that's all it ever will be.
    Curious why you are prepared to hammock but are opting for a tent. What's the reason?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Curious why you are prepared to hammock but are opting for a tent. What's the reason?

I was worried about how well I would be able to hang the hammock after the fires we had last year. Also after weighing everything I'm at 4 pounds with my ENO setup with the UL straps. The only thing I can do is swap to the UL hammock but that's not an option when sleeping with my pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Ditch the Nalgene...I did read that you don't want to, but carrying a half-pound which serves zero functional purpose over it's alternative is self-defeating. Especially when weight is one of the greatest obstacles for a successful thru-hike. By doing this, you are helping yourself to take the big step mentally to recognizing needs versus wants and what ifs. That's what is going to lighten your load and simplify your life on the trail. Like CarlZ993 said above, look critically at what's in your pack and be able to justify why it's there.
    Consider it ditched. I really hate to do it but you're right. You're ALL​ right. Nalgenes are gone. I can keep them for day hikes

Ok, this is my weight at this moment: 16 pounds 15 ounces

I have the BA Fly Creek UL1 coming to swap out for my tent so that will drop some weight.

Nalgene(s) are gone.

Poo shovel has been revisited (updates in a little bit).

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    You will get different opinions on this, but the chemicals that kill bacteria in your water also kill bacteria in your gut. You need a proper bacterial and fungal balance in your gut. I realize that chlorine breaks down fairly fast when left in sunlight and exposed to air, but filtering water will ensure that you are not adding chemicals to your stomach.
    I didn't realize this. That makes it a NO-GO for me. I have issues with my acids as it is so I would rather not use the AT as a testing ground for new things Sticking with the Sawyer!

I would recommend getting a new bag for the sawyer like an evernew bag. https://www.traildesigns.com/accessories/water-carriers they fit well on the sawyer and are super strong.

Images

I didn't realize this. That makes it a NO-GO for me. I have issues with my acids as it is so I would rather not use the AT as a testing ground for new things Sticking with the Sawyer!
    You can turn a Sawyer Squeeze into a gravity filter super easy! You will need either a Platypus or an Evernew water bladder, a Sawyer Products SP150 coupling, a couple feet of micro-shock cord, and a Smartwater bottle.

Both the Platypus and the Evernew bladders have spots on the bottom where you can use a hole punch to make a couple holes for hanging without getting near the bladder itself. Punch two holes and thread some micro-shock cord through the holes, tying it into a loop for hanging the bladder. With the Sawyer coupling on the filter and the other end of the coupling attached to the Smartwater bottle, attach the filter to the bladder and hang it from the bottom, let gravity do it's thing and you have a full 1 liter bottle in 3-4 minutes...no squeezing. Don't tighten the Smartwater bottle too tight, leave the threads a hair loose for air to get through, it really improves the flow rate.

Here's a photo of my setup.

Filter.jpg

Here a link to the coupling which is designed to allow you to back flush the filter WITHOUT the syringe. You simply squeeze the Smartwater bottle and it back flushes the filter.

https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-cleaning-coupling/
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Are Crampons something I should be considering? I've hiked here in VA. when it was icy and wished I had owned a set a handful of times but don't know if it's something I should be getting for the hike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++