WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best video comparing zpacks tents

I just came across this comparison video of the Zpacks Plex line of tents. Specifically the SolPlex, AltaPlex, and Duplex. It is the best comparison video i have seen. There is a lot of info on the duplex but not much at all on the soloplex and altaplex. If you do not have the luxury of being able to compare these tents in person I think this video is a must.

p.s. I have no connection with the maker of this video.

My duplex is currently sitting in customs. I also bought some groundhog stakes. My quick question is can the tent stand up to really fierce winds that I have seen on some videos?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    My duplex is currently sitting in customs. I also bought some groundhog stakes. My quick question is can the tent stand up to really fierce winds that I have seen on some videos?
    Properly staked out, I see no reason it wouldn't. My Duplex has remained stable in moderate winds but I haven't had it in a real storm yet.

thank you - I'm not used to gale force winds

I also have seen some pretty strong winds in my Duplex, but like the other guy not really storm force.

It can happen... seems Scotland is the ultimate proving ground.

Mine has seen only two serious rounds of real wind (actually a series of thunderstorms one evening and a strong front on one occasion) and acquitted itself well. Torrential downpours and strong shear that shook the tent like Linda Blair's bed in The Exorcist. Only time I was a wee bit worried, but the only breach was a little backsplash from the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It can happen... seems Scotland is the ultimate proving ground.

Mine has seen only two serious rounds of real wind (actually a series of thunderstorms one evening and a strong front on one occasion) and acquitted itself well. Torrential downpours and strong shear that shook the tent like Linda Blair's bed in The Exorcist. Only time I was a wee bit worried, but the only breach was a little backsplash from the rain.
    Wow. That must have been some serious wind to rip cuben like that. It almost looks like it may have been a weak spot on the seam.

There is evidence on the internet that hail can penetrate a ZPacks camouflage Duplex. I believe the owner's trailname is Redbeard.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There is evidence on the internet that hail can penetrate a ZPacks camouflage Duplex. I believe the owner's trailname is Redbeard.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SN lonehiker also mentioned that he got a hole in his brand new Duplex from hail last year on the Centennial Trail. Anything, with enough mass and force, can penetrate something else. CF isn't stretchy like silnylon so has less give when hit my a sharp force.

Will "Red Beard" Wood is currently the spokesman/media director for ZPaks
    Hail I can deal with, but my tent taking off in the wind and reaching Maine before me kinda sucks

I believe the camo and the green zpaks tents are made of thicker cuben fiber than the plain ones. I ordered the green one. I like to be able to find my tent without asking for directions

There was a hiker or two last year that got caught in a freak hailstorm late in the season and had their Duplexs shredded. No warning, just large hail all of a sudden. It was on Reddit with pics. Cuben doesn't stretch, so can rip under hard impacts like hail. Silnylon stretches so it is much more likely to survive hail damage. Cuben is not a magical material, and has downsides just like all other materials, one of which is durability.

I think this is the tent in question

tent.jpg

++ New Posts ++