WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 22 Miler on the AT to raise awareness about veteran suicides

The inspiriation for this trip can be found here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...teran-Suicides

When Grapenut first posted this I had just learned of the epidemic myself and the statistic blew me away. After doing further research, it appears that the number "22" may be somewhat misleading, however, it is a statistical fact that veterans commit suicide at a rate that exceeds the general population by 50%. That's an indicator that there are major issues among our veterans, and just one is still too many.

Source: http://taskandpurpose.com/truth-22-v...-suicides-day/
    Several other articles are available as well, a simple Google search will help you learn more.

That said, when Grapenut posted this article, as a veteran myself I was touched, and I wanted to do the same thing for my little corner of the world.

On February 10th, weather permitting, My nephew, also a Marine Veteran, and I will hike 22 miles on the AT to try to do just that.

Our plan is to hike from Neel Gap (parking at the Byron Reece parking area and taking the trail from there versus the shorter road walk) to Unicoi Gap. As near as I can tell that's pretty close (close enough for government work we used to say) to 22 miles.

I know it's fairly short notice, but if anyone feels like they're up to the challenge then contact me, and join us. Or, plan your own event, and document and share it.

If you know any veterans, check on them. Be there for them. I'll post a little more in depth about this later.

Help get the word about this issue out to your corner of the world as well.

I'll be hiking with you in spirit.

Semper Fi!!!

The following article details my thoughts on some of the reasons veterans struggle to re-integrate into civilian life, and what we, their neighbors and loved ones, can do to try and help.

Struggles Veterans Face: Possible Causes and Possible Solutions

Thank you for your time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    The following article details my thoughts on some of the reasons veterans struggle to re-integrate into civilian life, and what we, their neighbors and loved ones, can do to try and help.

Struggles Veterans Face: Possible Causes and Possible Solutions

Thank you for your time.
    Thank you for doing your part in a noble cause.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

WTG. Get it done!

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Thank you for doing your part in a noble cause.
    Thanks Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    WTG. Get it done!
    We'resettohikeonFeb19.
    We're set to hike on Fri, Feb 10. So far the weather forecast looks favorable. I'm jazzed about it, and just a little worried haha. Thanks ScareBear!

We did the hike on Friday Feb 10 and it was great. Full trip video to come, but here's a short blooper reel. It was a hike for a serious purpose, and there is some serious subject matter covered in the trip video, but we did have a good time as well.

Both the trip video and the accompanying article are pretty long, so apologies up front.

The good news is no one is being forced to read or watch =)

Hike22 for Vetran's Suicide Awareness-Trip Video

Hike22: After-Action Report and Video (Blog Post)

Again, please help spread the word of the problem, and reach out to the veterans you know to make sure they're okay. Thanks!

++ New Posts ++