WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Coffee Grounds in Peanut Butter

I'm not sure where I first saw this, but I'd heard that instead of "brewing" coffee before hiking every morning, some people will dump a bunch of coffee grounds in their half-full PB jar and just take a few spoonfuls every morning. I haven't just fallen in love with a decent instant coffee mix yet, so I've been considering this as a substitute.
    Anyone have experience/opinions on the matter?

Not heard of this, but think I'll try it with a small spoonful or two at home.

I haven't heard of this. Have you tried chocolate covered espresso beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Martzy13 View Post
    I'm not sure where I first saw this, but I'd heard that instead of "brewing" coffee before hiking every morning, some people will dump a bunch of coffee grounds in their half-full PB jar and just take a few spoonfuls every morning. I haven't just fallen in love with a decent instant coffee mix yet, so I've been considering this as a substitute.
    Anyone have experience/opinions on the matter?
    Now, this is the type of thread and sharing of ideas that would be fun to have lots more of! . . . tips and trick from the experienced and creative that are fun for others of us to try that have lots of experience and want more fun ideas to try. Keep those of us that are not beginners still interested in new ideas on these forums . . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Hiker on backpackinglight.com puts coffee grounds in his refried beans.

I drink coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee. I do figure that I get some boost from the stimulant, but I drink it as more of a routine and a way to slowly start my day than a requirement to function. I can't imagine that I would ever NEED caffeine enough to mix coffee grounds in other food. That sounds like taking a pill instead of enjoying a nice glass of bourbon. Something I would never do.
    I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Pondjumpr View Post
    I drink coffee. I enjoy drinking coffee. I do figure that I get some boost from the stimulant, but I drink it as more of a routine and a way to slowly start my day than a requirement to function. I can't imagine that I would ever NEED caffeine enough to mix coffee grounds in other food. That sounds like taking a pill instead of enjoying a nice glass of bourbon. Something I would never do.
    I would imagine that caffeine could be sourced through other methods without having to add coffee grounds to something as awesome as PB. $0.02
    I feel the same way..... but I will admit to headaches if I don't have my morning cup or two.... I have often thought about looking for ways to get a shot of caffeine when I'm in a hurry and just don't want to take the time to brew and enjoy (or can't)
    so
    personally, i would find this idea maybe a bit weird for a person to do as a regular routine.... but just for special events, a hike, or whatever.... hey, why not. Interesting idea..... might consider giving it a try!

For its worth, I've been trying maxim coffee, and instant korean brand I ordered from amazon, with cream and sugar on board. I find it a bit too light and too sweet, but not bad for camping!

Coffee grounds=laxative

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Coffee grounds=laxative
    But does it work that way when eaten, or do you benefit as much from the hot liquid as the coffee?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I haven't heard of this. Have you tried chocolate covered espresso beans?
    I haven't, but I'll have to give them a shot before I head to the Trail this year. Would they melt, or do you think I could find an "M&M" style espresso bean?

Are we talking coffee grounds, or instant coffee crystals? Aren't grounds inedible?

I do put instant coffee in my breakfast slurry when I only want to heat 1 cup of water.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Nah. I love my coffee and I love peanut butter, but this sounds like madness.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Journal Entries

Ive always told my kids

"Theres a lot of stupid people in the world, dont be one of them'

If you want caffeine, just take a pill

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Are we talking coffee grounds, or instant coffee crystals? Aren't grounds inedible?

I do put instant coffee in my breakfast slurry when I only want to heat 1 cup of water.
    This one time, at band camp - no, wait, it was at the grocery store, they had all these great-smelling flavored coffee beans, as well as a place you could grind them and bag them before buying them. Seeing a spilled bean under the chute for one of the flavors (it was probably heath bar crunch coffee or something equally absurd in terms of implied sweetness), I decided to try it. It was HORRIBLE. I could not get the taste out of my mouth fast enough, and even sacrificed my handkerchief to the task of helping to scrape if off my tongue.

So yeah, hopefully the OP meant instant granules and not grounds. If the latter, count me out! Been there, done that, threw away the hanky that looked like used ... well, you know.

I'm not sure about coffee grounds but, I've been using Starbucks Via instant coffee in cookies at home...and tomorrow morning, I'll try it with peanut butter. Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    . . . hopefully the OP meant instant granules and not grounds. . .
    People eat roasted coffee beans all the time. Ever try chocolate covered espresso beans?

Yes they are crunchy and chewy. But, they are perfectly edible and many people like them quite a bit.

People like crunch peanut butter, why not have coffee flavored crunch. It might be quite tasty.

Instant coffee crystals might be too strong a flavor to work well, or they might not. It sounds worth a try to me.

Maybe I'll try some grounds in some peanut butter tomorrow morning and come back with an opinion.

Maybe we should try and get everyone to try it and then take a poll.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

lemme get this straight - does this guy mix coffee grounds with PB, or ground coffee? Big difference in my book! Coffee grounds are what's left over after you brew coffee, ground coffee is what you brew with. If I have coffee grounds, I had fresh coffee and wouldn't mix the waste with good PB. OTOH, fresh ground coffee mixed with PB might be tasty.

Default Coffee Grounds in Peanut Butter

Like I said, I can't recall where I heard/read this info, so I can't be 100% positive. If I had to venture a guess, though, I'd have to assume it was ground coffee, not coffee grounds. Seems like you're using the coffee for its intended purpose and then throwing the garbage grounds in that good ol' PB, if it's the other way around.
    Sherry, I wait on the edge of my seat for your morning response!

Quote Originally Posted by Martzy13 View Post
    . . . Sherry, I wait on the edge of my seat for your morning response!
    Aren't you going to join me and add your personal opinion and experience?

coffee grounds + PB sounds disgusting.

Why bother with coffee? If the sun is up, you're awake, and if it's not, you're asleep. On your longest day you'll still be getting 8 hours of sleep, and later in the year you'll get more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++