WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Ultra-light Affordable Shelter Options

zpacks makes some fabulous shelters but the price doesn't fit in the budget. I am looking for a shelter with 7 foot length, and in weight a pound and some. I am considering the LightHeart Solo tent, its a great price but I looking for something a little lighter. I am not sure if i'm being completely unrealistic. does anyone know of any shelters that are spacious for one person and gear and fit a budget? thanks everyone
    “Almost heaven, West Virginia
    Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah river
    Life is old there, older than the trees
    Younger than the mountains, grown’ like a breeze”

- John Denver

Six moon designs lunar solo or skyscape trekker

If you can spend $225 then I suggest the Tarptent Rainbow. I own the LightHeart Solong and the Rainbow and would choose the Rainbow every time. What has no standard of measurement in a tent is the room around your head when you are sitting up, e.i. head volume.Many of those tee-pee shaped tents and sideways A style like the LightHeart have little head volume, so when you sit up you have maybe 4-6" of fabric in front and back of your head. Slide around in the tent, and it will happen, you will get a wet face sitting up. At least that's my experience.

Silnylon flat tarp. Relatively speaking, the most flexible, lightest and largest shelter for you money!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Flat 8x10 silnylon tarp. Light with plenty of room. with stakes, lines, a ground cloth and bug net about 1.5 lbs.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

This is a good deal on a 2-person tent that's 2lbs on the nose. I have one. It's comfortable for 2, a mansion for 1, easy to set up with 6 stakes and completely waterproof.

http://www.backcountry.com/nemo-equi...w&gclsrc=aw.dsin

I mostly use a tarp which is probably why head volume matters to me. You can get a silnylon tarp cheap. I like a 8.5'x10', feels like a mansion compared to any tent. Equinox makes an 8'x10' for under $50 on Amazon. My Equinox was used for over 10 years before retiring it for something lighter.

Images

Hey,

So, this is my set up. I haven't used it on a thruhike though.

9x9 tarp: I had mine made by simplylightdesigns

9x9tarp 314
    Lawson Titanium stakes 9 sheppard 55
    stake sack 5
    guy out lines: 7) 4' lines zpacks 10
    4) 6' lnes dutch 8
    1) 12' line z packs 5
    Polycro sheet 3x8 foot 51

Total of 458 Grams or 16.15 oz.

My rain gear is:
    Rain Gear Sea to Summit Poncho Tarp and Bungee 192
    Dutch Rain Skirt 78

I also have some mosquito netting that I can drop over my face 57 grams.

My idea is to use both the tarp set up and the poncho and rain skirt together should the need arise.

Here's a wonderful video on 9x9 tarp set ups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0c42cY-tx4

I was really tempted by bearpaw's La Garrita (Note the Trekking poles are on the outside, I'd get perimiter netting as well.) Here's a really good video of it in action, note how wide (9 min mark) and closed it can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9-F0OfQW8

Another tempting option was The Gatewood Poncho Tarp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW3KLE9AVHs

Good luck to you,

Miguelon

The Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo is 24 ounces. With stakes and seam sealing, mine came out to 25.5 ounces. That's about as close to a ZPacks style tent as you're going to get.

Btw, I own some ZPacks stuff and I like the way the tie outs and zipper are on the Lunar Solo.

http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...nt?from_cat=20

710 grams, $195... Never seen one, but I know my DD tarp is bombproof and their customer service to top of the line. I have really been thinking about getting one.

Check out Tarptent products. Love my Notch, but love the ZPacks Duplex more...

I'm pretty happy with my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. Great storm protection. Great in the wind. Plenty of room for me and my gear on the inside. The floating floor makes it so you can set your pole length longer or shorter than the recommended 48" in case of really good weather or really bad weather.

Tent is 24oz, 8 stakes in bag is 2.5oz, 1mil ground cloth cut to size is 1.7oz. Yeah, I could drop 6-8oz by going with a zpacks altaplex or solplex, but I will make that decision after my SMD LS dies.

I'm 6'1" with monstrous feet and I sleep on a 2.5 inch inflatable mat. I use the panel pull outs above my head and feet and set my pole to 50-51" to give myself enough room so I am not touching the tent wall all the time.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Just pick the tent you want, regardless of price, and then find it used. We got a SMD tarp hardly used for well under the retail price. If you haunt the forums at Backpackinglight for a while, you'll see just about every variety of tarp and tent for sale.

From what I have seen, I would recommend tarp tent if you are on a budget. Ive never owned one but knew several on my thru that were very happy. I personally own a duplex and must admit it was painful to drop that much coin on it. But after my thru and 3000+ miles on it, I am going to buy another when it finally wears out. Is my favorite piece of gear. The weight savings plus having the ability to bring all of my gear into my tent at night is greatness. The only downside is that it isnt free standing but I have always managed to make it work. You have to be careful on the east coast with condensation in a single wall tent and that is without a doubt their biggest flaw. The duplex can always be pitched with one fly open and make condensation not an issue. The key to this is the overhang as well as 4 fly's, each facing a different direction.
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Journal Entries

Another vote for Tarptent here....but I went with the double rainbow....views on both sides adding good ventilation and lotsa room !

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/us/product...nt?from_cat=20

710 grams, $195... Never seen one, but I know my DD tarp is bombproof and their customer service to top of the line. I have really been thinking about getting one.

Forgot to mention that it's a tent... Duh!

DD_SL_Tarp_tent_gallery_0642.jpg

If you look at Tarptent's prices, some of the models are creeping up (with exception to the Protrail). If the OP is looking for a more traditional tent, the Nemo Hornet 1P is 29oz all in (with everything).

Default Ultra Lite Tarp

I have use ENO pro fly and Warbonnet's House Fly. Each weighs about 11 oz. and they're under $100. You just have to configure them so us can use your trekking poles to erect them. zPacks sells some trekking pole attachments.

dutchware half-wit hammock and xenon tarp. 1.6 lbs total and $262.

++ New Posts ++