WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Earplugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Need to calm your mind young jedi. Too much mental noise and you will not get this task done. The AT is no joke of a trail. Focus on your HYOH, the roots and rocks will also comand alot of mental energy. Your toes will thank you. Mental story telling involving fear will cut your life changing experience short. Take this opportunity to grow.

Journal Entries

I know exactly how you feel. I don't think I am quite as afraid as you, but I too have a hard time sleeping at night in the woods because of my mind. In general, in life, I am afraid of absolutely nothing... in the daylight. Because I am happy to face any monster as long as I can see him coming and brace myself for whatever comes next, but what makes the dark scary is the unknown. I am so scared of a bear coming and sniffing up against my tent and getting curious about the smell of my chapstick while I am blissfully sleeping, with no ability to defend myself. At the same time, I would LOVE to see a bear on the trail, from a safe distance of course. I am not afraid of man or beast of any kind (except spiders, and I have even learned to tolerate those to an extent while visiting their home).

My issue is that once asleep, I am a sound sleeper. I go into a coma. A tornado could come and sweep me off the face of the earth and I wouldn't wake up until landing, if I was tired enough. Hiking makes me that tired. But the woods are SO loud at night. Owls having hooting contests and coyotes yipping and screaming and 2 sounding like there are 50 standing all around the outside of your tent. I can barely close my eyes wondering what that snap was. What was that??!!! Did you hear that??!! I drive my husband nuts. I know I shouldn't be worried because his snoring will keep away anything with any sense.

Then I went hiking with my 17 year old daughter. Just her and me. We did the approach trail. And she is the biggest scaredy cat alive, so I was forced, as all parents do, to put my big girl drawers on and be brave and in control for her. So we get in the tent at bed time and she i s asleep in 2 seconds. And i'm waking her up with "did you hear that?" and my daughter, of whom I am SO SO proud, with all the seriousness in the world says to me "Shut up mom. I don't care if it is a bear, I don't want to see it coming. I don't care what's out there but I don't want to see it coming." I had to laugh. Perfect.

So how I will get a grip on this issue is to have earbuds and play music from my ipod on my next hike this weekend. Its true what they all said above. What are you going to do about it if it is every monster you ever dreamed up? Nothing. When I die I am going to be with Jesus and I am darn happy about that,but its the trip I'm less enthused about, so it's all good as long as you don't see it coming. Block out the noise with something that will stimulate your mind to think of other things. I have an ipod full of 80s music that will take me back in time, and hopefully off to sleep. I have tried regular earplugs and FOR ME they just muffled the sounds I was still hearing and were uncomfortable. I need to drown out all sound except for what I need to hear to give me rest. After a few days, the exhaustion will get you anyway and all will be well in the end. Plus, you will feel like a super hero for having conquered your fear and shown yourself just how awesome and strong you really are.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

The above post was all over the place. I apologize for my lack of cohesive thought. I hope you got the gist, being that you are not alone in being afraid. Many people are, and even more that would never admit it. Truth is though, there is a 99% chance ( I am making up the percentage for those of you who will immediately correct it ) That nothing but sleep will happen to you and everything will be just fine. Don't let your fear of the what-ifs in the night keep you from doing what you love in the day. That said... if you get spooked by a place or a person in the day time, trust your gut, and find other people and a safety zone. Always trust your gut, but your head can be a liar. In truth, you are safer on the trail than at the local Walmart.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joobert View Post
    I can hike, but the thought of sleeping in a dark, wooded, civil war graveyard terrifies the **** out of me. If there's one thing that will get me off of the trail, it's nighttime.
    I feel right at home in a Civil War graveyard. lol.. You can get an early start and get 15 miles in easily before dark. A bit of good planning ahead of time and understanding where you're headed and it shouldn't be a problem at all. I think if you stick to shelters and around other folks it can ease your fears. I prefer to stare fear in the face and thrive on the rush, always have, and I can be as superstitious as anybody. It actually gets more fun if you're well read on Appalachian mountain lore.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries
    Images

Some ideas in no particular order:

Pack a few airline bottles (nips) of whiskey to take the edge off. Better for "portion control" than a flask. Make sure bottles are plastic.

Chocolate has caffeine -- doesn't faze me but my wife swears it will keep her awake.

Take a high tech "Tactical" flashlight. Even the small ones will light op the woods almost like a car's headlight (seems that way anyway). Make a PRIOR commitment to open your tent door and light up any animal sound that noise you hear-- you might be surprised it's not Bigfoot and end up with a better story than one about playing possum in your sleeping bag.

Understand that in the woods, an animal ALWAYS sounds at least one critter bigger than it is. A mouse will sound. loke a squirrel, a squirrel will sound like a skunk, a skunk will sound like a deer, a deer will sound like a bear, etc.

Remember that a deer snort sounds like a bear or a brahma bull in the woods.

Recall the term "babbling brook". If you camp near a stream you Will hear voices during the night without fail.

A paperback novel and headlamp might be worth thier weight. And a journal, of course.

Ear plugs.

A watch (or phone) so you will know just how many hours you have to endure before the sun rises :-)

HIking pole, pepper spray or similar at your side -- whether or not they would ever be needed is beside the point, I am thinking only of psychological comfort of a routine here.

One last thing to take might be the most important:

Take an understanding that your feelings are not unique, and that for many people the only real fix is a bunch of CONSECUTIVE night on the trail, and long, hard days going up and down those beautiful mountains that drew you to the AT in the first place.

Hike 15 miles
    Good hot dinner
    Warm, dry clothes
    Stay awake as long as possible
    A wee nip (rickb portion control, good idea)
    A really good pee before turning in
    Warm quilt/sleeping bag
    Air mat filled just right
    Vitamin I (buprophen)
    Melatonin
    Ear plugs

When all these conditions are met, sleep is likely. After several days, it is virtually guaranteed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++