WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    But, it requires 1.21 Gigawatts...just sayin...
    Can't you just go dumpster diving while in town and put some old vegetables in there?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The flex capacitor looks like it does have an arc but would still possibly create hot spots. It also weighs more than my current pack. Waiting to see if a guy I know wants to purchase my current pack and then I will be definitely full bore into finding a replacement. Another perk to the Osprey is the ability to try it on and load my gear in it and see how it handles. Thanks everyone for the ideas and things to look for!
    It's only an oz or two difference in weight. The arc looks pretty substantial to me:
    flex-air-flow-back-panel.jpg

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    It's only an oz or two difference in weight. The arc looks pretty substantial to me:
    True, it has large lumbar and scapula pads that concern me for hot spots. $100 more then the SMD I have and 2-3oz heavier. The Osprey is ~10oz lighter and $30-60 more than the SMD with a full mesh back contact.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I came across the Marmot Graviton 38 and 58L on sale for $119 on Massdrop that might be worth taking a look at, and it looks like it also has a lot of back breathability with the mesh and arc. It's slightly heavier than the SMD Fusion 50L though, but only $20 more expensive.

Actually since you're interested in the 38L Exos the 38L Graviton comes in at 38oz. And it's $129 until the lowest price is unlocked:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/marmot-graviton

Leonidas

Actually since you're interested in the 38L Exos the 38L Graviton comes in at 38oz. And it's $129 until the lowest price is unlocked:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/marmot-graviton
    Funny you mention it! I just saw the email from Massdrop about it. Trying to see if anyone mentions the weight sans brain. The price is definitely a good one!
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

The Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 has ventilation channels molded into the back. I think the "V.C." stands for "vapor current". 34 ounces.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    The Granite Gear Crown V.C. 60 has ventilation channels molded into the back. I think the "V.C." stands for "vapor current". 34 ounces.
    I ended up forgoing the back ventilation for lighter weight, got a Granite Gear Virga II for $118, 19oz. Total packweight once I order our EE Accomplice will be 19.5 lbs with 3 days of food and 2 litres of water.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    FWIW, as of end-of-season surveys:
    1) The Osprey Exos was the most popular backpack on the AT in 2016.
    2) The Exos is also the most loved backpack, and overall most loved piece of gear on the PCT even though more people used a ULA Circuit in 2016.
    That is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    FWIW, as of end-of-season surveys:
    1) The Osprey Exos was the most popular backpack on the AT in 2016.
    2) The Exos is also the most loved backpack, and overall most loved piece of gear on the PCT even though more people used a ULA Circuit in 2016.
    It's also worth noting what the least-liked items were in the PCT survey. Sometimes the same item (e.g., ULA Circuit) shows up on both "most liked" and "least liked" lists, presumably because it is used by so many people. So, in some cases, you don't get a sense of the rate of like/dislike, just a count. (true with real life anecdotes, too)

http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trail...ey-gear-guide/

FWIW an Osprey pack (but not the Exos) was on the least-liked list.

This was what I was coming to suggest. Looking at the pictures, and reading Andrew Skurka's design mentality it has enough curve to allow some air between you and the pack. It's a very interesting pack.
    Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    The flex capacitor looks like it does have an arc but would still possibly create hot spots. It also weighs more than my current pack. Waiting to see if a guy I know wants to purchase my current pack and then I will be definitely full bore into finding a replacement. Another perk to the Osprey is the ability to try it on and load my gear in it and see how it handles. Thanks everyone for the ideas and things to look for!

Indeed Dune Eliot. Good pic.

My only question if pack wt is being heavily considered and the OP is good to go with 40L the Flex Capacitor might be more volume, hence pack wt, than needed.

JC, if you're go to pack volume is 40L or slightly less have you explored frameless packs? It would be up to user ability but some frameless pack users have been able to bend the pack horizontally and/or vertically via packing or virtual frame sheet configurations to have much less material in contact with your back.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    It's also worth noting what the least-liked items were in the PCT survey. Sometimes the same item (e.g., ULA Circuit) shows up on both "most liked" and "least liked" lists, presumably because it is used by so many people. So, in some cases, you don't get a sense of the rate of like/dislike, just a count. (true with real life anecdotes, too)

http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trail...ey-gear-guide/

FWIW an Osprey pack (but not the Exos) was on the least-liked list.

What we're observing in Mac's survey is an increase in less advanced or less experienced, hence lesser evolved kits/heavier kits, than yrs previous to the exponential increase in PCT usage... DESPITE UL gear advancement NOTING SHARPLY THAT UL PHILOSOPHY IS NOT JUST ABOUT BUYING UL GEAR! It used to be - pre 2012 - the packs listed in Mac's survey would be excessively voluminous for PCT thrus or less commonly used. The face of PCT thrus is/has changing/changed with the increased popularity of first time or less experienced hikers attempting teh PCT as their first really long distance hike or doing long section hikes.

IMHO, the ULA Circuit and ULA catalyst(a large volume pack not typical for PCT thrus pre 2012) was liked/disliked not because of their popularity but because both are hotter more cumbersome larger backpacks to use with no space between the pack and a user's back. Lugging a large volume 70 L + pack through a HOT Mojave Desert has often been vastly unnecessarily for PCT thrus pre 2012 who tended to be more trail savvy experienced. It's why packs with a spacer mesh backs like ZPacks Arc Blast and Osprey's Exos 48 L and Atmos 48 L have been PCT favorites for quite a while.

I have the Exos 58 and love it. Not only is the back as cool as it can be, the trampoline also gives great support over your whole back. The belt and straps are pretty weak, so I added some 1/4" closed cell foam to beef them up a bit. It seems like the belt is built with that in mind. I've never seen another one designed like that. I normally carry about 26 ilbs and love it when it gets to 20 ish! After a few days of food are gone. So, I can't recommend the Exos series highly enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++