WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default MA/CT Border....how close can I get?

On a SOBO day hike from the Guilder Pond parking area, how close to the MA/CT border can I park my car? I've seen one reference to the Undermountain Trail, and another to Northwest Rd. What effect will these have on my total miles for the day?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I don't know about Northwest Rd. From Sages Ravine, it's .7 to the Paradise Lane Trail, 2.1 to the Undermountain's junction with the Trail, and 1.1 down the Undermountain Trail to the trailhead at Rt. 41 where there is parking. Total of 3.9 miles one-way, 7.8 for a day hike.

Journal Entries

Just to note that the entirety of Sages Ravine is in MA, despite the signs on the trail (check Google Maps). Both the Paradise Lane trail and the one to the AMC location and Mt Washington road parking area qualify for your question.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Just to note that the entirety of Sages Ravine is in MA, despite the signs on the trail (check Google Maps). Both the Paradise Lane trail and the one to the AMC location and Mt Washington road parking area qualify for your question.
    Google maps doesn't give me a clear indication of the distance of the trails from Mt. Washington Rd (Northwest Rd?) to the AT border crossing, so I was hoping for some expertise . I think it's only about 0.8 mi, but I can't be sure. The Undermountain option adds 3.9 to a 6.3 mile day, making it out of my reach at 10.2mi. I struggle with 7mi, and in CT I'm more comfortable in the 5mi range, but can't find a bailout point between Guilder Pond Picnic area and the border.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Google maps doesn't give me a clear indication of the distance of the trails from Mt. Washington Rd (Northwest Rd?) to the AT border crossing, so I was hoping for some expertise . I think it's only about 0.8 mi, but I can't be sure. The Undermountain option adds 3.9 to a 6.3 mile day, making it out of my reach at 10.2mi. I struggle with 7mi, and in CT I'm more comfortable in the 5mi range, but can't find a bailout point between Guilder Pond Picnic area and the border.
    I don't have my maps of that area with me but from Mt Wash. Rd it is about 1 mile to the MA/CT border so the 0.8 miles sounds dead on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's some info

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

The Undermountain Trail (UMT) Lot is just off State Highway 41.
    Parking there and using only the UMT from the A.T. adds 1.9 miles to your journey.
    Parking there and using the Paradise Trail from the A.T., and then going on the UMT to his lot, adds 3.2 miles to your journey. However, the junction with the Paradise Trail is 1.4 miles north of the junction with the UMT, so it's about the same amount of walking from the MA/CT boundary to your car.
    Parking just off Mount Washington Road and walking on the Northwest Road adds about a mile to your journey.

I recommend either of the first two choices, because the Mount Washington Road is a gravel / dirt road. You may spend less time walking from the A.T. to your car, but you'll spend more TOTAL time getting from the A.T. to your car and then to civilization.
    This parking area is just a few hundred feet south of the state line, marked by a granite marker. Note: The route has far poorer roads than that from the north (see above) but it can easily be negotiated with care in a passenger car. While the total distance from Bunker Hill Road is only about 6 miles, it will probably take about 20-25 minutes to drive.
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...spx#ui-tabs-10
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...spx#ui-tabs-12

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks very much everyone. I'll probably make an exploratory run to check out both trailheads for comfort-sake. It's nice to know I have a choice though if I'm willing to deal with more rugged roads.

Make the exploratory run to the Mt Washington Road trail head for Sages/Bear Mountain anytime before mid march or so, use the Mt. Washington entry point. The road is closed via barricades during the winter months.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/s...&sectionID=129

The Undermountain Trail (UMT) Lot is just off State Highway 41.
    Parking there and using only the UMT from the A.T. adds 1.9 miles to your journey.
    Parking there and using the Paradise Trail from the A.T., and then going on the UMT to his lot, adds 3.2 miles to your journey. However, the junction with the Paradise Trail is 1.4 miles north of the junction with the UMT, so it's about the same amount of walking from the MA/CT boundary to your car.
    Parking just off Mount Washington Road and walking on the Northwest Road adds about a mile to your journey.

I recommend either of the first two choices, because the Mount Washington Road is a gravel / dirt road. You may spend less time walking from the A.T. to your car, but you'll spend more TOTAL time getting from the A.T. to your car and then to civilization.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...spx#ui-tabs-10
    http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/a...spx#ui-tabs-12
    Mt Washington Road is a very well maintained dirt road in season, and the rt 41 trailheads adds quite a distance. It is really no worries driving on that road. You can hike it either way, and adjust for your hiking distances.

You may want to pick up the NYNJTC map of South Taconic Trails (also on PDF Maps app Avenza), it will show all that info, marked/unmarked trails, parking areas, elevation, etc.

But either way you do it it will work, just some ways you may have a longer access trail walk, and a longer drive if you are driving around the mountain from Guilder Pond to Rt 41 for a car spotting set up.

Also, just a note, the Paradise Lane trail is the old AT, and the blazes have been painted over with the new color.

Lots of people use the Undermountain Trail parking lot. It's large, safe (as far as I know), and it even has a privy.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Lots of people use the Undermountain Trail parking lot. It's large, safe (as far as I know), and it even has a privy.
    I was wondering if you were going to chime in, Tiptoe. I'm looking to finish what we started last August, but in day-hike form. I know you've taken the Undermountain Trail, and I think I've ridden on Mt. Washington Rd with Another Kevin when he, Snacktime and I did an Alander, Frissell loop. My main concern is distance and a degree of confidence in the maps I'm reading.

The group here has been wonderful

++ New Posts ++