WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Guy again, what am I forgetting?

I know a "check my gear list" request here must get the same eye roll as a "what's the best oil?" does at my motorcycle racing forums, but...
    Here's what I have so far. Since I'm hiking with my wife, some stuff we won't both be carrying, like the tent, so those are shown as "split" at half weight. And I didn't include what I would wear, or food/water. What am I forgetting? What should I forget? What have I gotten completely wrong?
    https://lighterpack.com/r/b9s247
    You guys have been a big help so far, so thanks.
    Pete

Dental floss, which is all but too light to be measured and will help keep teeth in your head; a multivitamin per day because you'll be eating very unhealthy food.

Tell me that you ain't sharing that quilt and that you each have your own.

Compactor bag for pack liner, spoon, flames, hat, sunscreen, eventually will need bug repellent, gloves, sunglasses.

You haven't listed worn clothes, or your starting date which helps determine if your gear is season appropriate.

I'm not a huge fan of paracord myself, which I find heavy and bulky , I prefer Z-line slick cord for hanging bear bags. Just my opinion.

Something to repair your sleeping pad with...
    Fuel for the stove...
    Something to clean yourself with...
    Something to put on your head...
    Bandana...
    Something to eat with...
    Something to drink from...
    Something to sit on...
    Something to line your pack with...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The Accomplice is a two-person quilt. We have one, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Dental floss, which is all but too light to be measured and will help keep teeth in your head; a multivitamin per day because you'll be eating very unhealthy food.
    My wife for sure would remember floss. The vitamins are probably a good idea.

Two person quilt, 86" wide with a foot box. Lighter/cheaper than 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Compactor bag for pack liner, spoon, flames, hat, sunscreen, eventually will need bug repellent, gloves, sunglasses.

You haven't listed worn clothes, or your starting date which helps determine if your gear is season appropriate.

I'm not a huge fan of paracord myself, which I find heavy and bulky , I prefer Z-line slick cord for hanging bear bags. Just my opinion.
    Didn't list the bag liner, but will have one. Plastic spoons. Added lighter to the list. Deet is in the medical bag. Not sure about hat, gloves, sunglasses.
    Worn clothes are generic, shoes Altra Lone Peak, shorts, poly t-shirt. We're starting in VA in May and flipping.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Something to repair your sleeping pad with...
    Fuel for the stove...
    Something to clean yourself with...
    Something to put on your head...
    Bandana...
    Something to eat with...
    Something to drink from...
    Something to sit on...
    Something to line your pack with...
    Didn't list consumables like fuel canisters, but we certainly won't forget them!
    Forgot to include small towel/bandannas
    Probably won't wear a hat, but maybe
    Will have plastic forks/spoons
    Water bottles
    Probably should include a sitting pad of some sort, huh?
    Trash compactor bag, as I was reminded of earlier

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The Accomplice is a two-person quilt. We have one, too.
    You like it? Think 20* is the right choice?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    You like it? Think 20* is the right choice?
    We got the 30 and I'm thinking we should have gone with the 20. So, yeah.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Since your probably already tan, sunscreen might not be needed, unlike us pale northern folks who haven't seen the sun in 6 months.

I don't like to hike with a hat on, but I do carry a baseball cap for when it rains. Otherwise I cover my head with a bandana. You'll also want a fleece beanie hat.

A long sleeve shirt is good to have too. I wear a Dickie work shirt, cheap, available everywhere. It's reasonably wind proof and if it's too cold for short sleeves but too warm for a jacket, the work shirt fills in the gap.

Add Liquid Skin to your med kit, it's the best remedy for blisters. Forget about bandages, they don't stick and cause more trouble then their worth. I also carry a basic sewing kit, it can be very handy at times. A small pair of scissors is also nice to have, if only to trim your beard now and again.

Get a USB battery pack to recharge your phone, 4800 to 10,000 mAH. Earphones?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Accomplice is a two person quilt

I see Bigcranky already answered. Ours is a 20* quilt and its perfect for New England Summers and shoulder seasons. No straps during the Summer, and in the colder months, the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo with straps, with baselayers is perfect.
    Last edited by egilbe; 01-24-2017 at 19:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Since your probably already tan, sunscreen might not be needed, unlike us pale northern folks who haven't seen the sun in 6 months.

I don't like to hike with a hat on, but I do carry a baseball cap for when it rains. Otherwise I cover my head with a bandana. You'll also want a fleece beanie hat.

A long sleeve shirt is good to have too. I wear a Dickie work shirt, cheap, available everywhere. It's reasonably wind proof and if it's too cold for short sleeves but too warm for a jacket, the work shirt fills in the gap.

Add Liquid Skin to your med kit, it's the best remedy for blisters. Forget about bandages, they don't stick and cause more trouble then their worth. I also carry a basic sewing kit, it can be very handy at times. A small pair of scissors is also nice to have, if only to trim your beard now and again.

Get a USB battery pack to recharge your phone, 4800 to 10,000 mAH. Earphones?
    Yea, I'm kinda used to the sun, but the ball cap or beanie might be a good idea. I was thinking of something with a brim for under a bud net if we need one? We've never had much problems with blisters, but the AT may change that! I'll look into liquid skin, thanks. And I see a lot of folks packing recharge batteries for the phone, but it seems like it should last a week maybe between charges without much use?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Accomplice is a two person quilt

I see Bigcranky already answered. Ours is a 20* quilt and its perfect for New England Summers and shoulder seasons. No straps during the Summer, and in the colder months, the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo with straps, with baselayers is perfect.
    I'm feeling better about my decision for the 20* quilt. We went for 2 separate pads, in wide, for a little bit more bed.

One may appreciate a pair of gloves any time of year in northern New England. Also, you may wish to consider what you would do if, despite your best efforts, you were to get separated, given that you have only one tent and sleeping quilt. E.g., perhaps one of you should carry the full tent and the other should carry some type of emergency shelter or bivy and the quilt. No, you don't want to pack all of your fears, but prudence dictates planning to survive bad scenarios, even if very uncomfortably. And remember that even in summer there are portions of the trail that can see some dangerous weather.

A beanie is important in keeping warm when you are sleeping or lounging in camp. The body will always send blood to the head, diverting it from other areas. Hence the wisdom..."to keep your feet warm...put on a hat".

First aid tape such as Leukotape is great for blister. You WILL have to deal with blisters. It's great as a preventive as well as a way to protect an existing blister. A lot of people use duct tape, but first aid tape is much better.

Ideally, everyone should be as self sufficient as possible. There is a remote possibility that one could get injured and the other has to go find help, but the AT isn't a remote wilderness and help is not that far away anywhere along the trail. Other then maybe a big blow up argument where some space is needed to cool down, the chances of a married couple getting separated is pretty remote.

On the battery pack, it's good to have just in case you do run the phone battery down. Even if I don't need it between places I can find an electrical outlet, often I'll use the battery pack to charge the phone and then just charge the battery pack, which I can leave unattended in a public place and not worry much about it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

+1 on the Leukotape, and some alcohol pads. Never had blisters in all of my day hiking, well worn boots. Ended up getting some small blisters. Kept right on top of them, and quickly healed up. Don't need a full roll of the tape, it's heavy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Ideally, everyone should be as self sufficient as possible. There is a remote possibility that one could get injured and the other has to go find help, but the AT isn't a remote wilderness and help is not that far away anywhere along the trail. Other then maybe a big blow up argument where some space is needed to cool down, the chances of a married couple getting separated is pretty remote.
    When I'm hiking with my friend and hiking partner, we don't share anything, and we have been separated once or twice.

When I hike with my spouse, we share all sorts of things, now including a double pad and quilt, and we don't get separated, ever. We spent a month on the LT and I don't think we were ever more than 50 feet apart.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yea, I don't see us getting separated. I've tried before...
    If it was a friend or hiking buddy, I hear you, but it's my wife and dog, so we're a team.
    I think I could make do with socks for gloves if needed, and I'd already planned some sort of beanie/balaclava for cold nights.
    I've never had blisters, but like I said, the AT might change that! I'll look for that Leukotape as well as the second skin. I can see how blisters could ruin your whole day.
    I can also see where having a backup way to charge the phone is a good idea. Thanks
    Big Cranky is a trailname my wife might have given me if it weren't already taken...

Pete, Linda, and Scout (the Coconut Retriever)

Moleskin and duct tape work well on blisters...

Images

In my first aid kit I always carry a travel size jar of Vaseline. Chaffing can be very painful. I also carry a travel size gold bond powder but it is sort of a luxury rather than a necessity.
    "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

++ New Posts ++