WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The "easy" access blockage is to keep motor vehicles off. I've never seen anything saying "KEEP OFF" at the obstructions or on the sign board. The vast majority of day trippers use that "easy" access. That "easy" access is straight up the hill, and you can walk anywhere on Max that you choose. There is no law saying you have to stay on the AT at Max Patch that I am aware of.

I didn't imply you were stupid. But, you are, at a minimum, ill-informed as to the legality of camping/hiking on Max Patch and the damage that walking and camping on top of it does to the grass/scrub on top.

The concept of LNT is so destroyed by the mowing of Max Patch for our mutual visual enjoyment that anything else seems laughable, to me.

Max Patch is not just for AT'ers. It's use is 1000-1 the other way. I get your opinion, but to say that people "should not be out there" if they want to camp on the Patch is kinda sorta crazy talk. I'd venture to say that MOST AT thrus and Sectioners camp on top of the Patch, if they camp within a mile of it. It's a man-made oddity in the middle of natural beauty, not some sacred ground...

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    SO frustratingly, I was away from my computer and I missed the date that I wanted to get my permit to start at NFG. I have reserved a start date a couple days after my intended start date of May 20 in the smokies. Since I am bound to some very hard dates now with my work schedule, I am considering starting at laughing hear hostel and going SOBO to NFG. Just wondering if there is any considerable difference between NOBO & SOBO in this section. I'm frustrated that I missed my pre-planned reservation date!!!!! on May 20 at Ice water Spring shelter.

Mike
    Ok, I revised my itinerary and got my permit dates in GSMNP. Icewater 20th, Tricorner 21st, Cosby 22nd, Standing Bear 23rd, Max Patch CS 24th. I am hoping to find a campsite located near Big Rock Spring just past Big Bluff Mtn. any ideas or suggestions for camping near mile 263? Then finishup at Laughing Heart on Friday 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I'm not a fan of Peck's Corner, especially not on my first day in the Smokies. It's about .5 off the trail with no views. I'd personally start at Clingman's Dome.

Clingman's Dome <10.9> Icewater Spring <12.6> TriCorner Knob <15.7> Standing Bear Hostel <13.3> Max Patch (if weather permits) <10.0> Tent Camp <10.0> Hot Springs

As far as other things to enjoy on that section.

AT Mile Markers (From AWOL 2016)
    199 - Clingman's Dome
    200 - Mt. Love
    207 - Newfound Gap
    210 - Icewater Spring Shelter
    211 - Charlie's Bunion (I prefer the Jumpoff, but Charlie's is easier.)
    212 - The Sawteeth
    212 - Porter's Gap
    216 - Bradley's View
    217 - Peck's Corner Shelter
    218 - Eagle Rocks
    219 - Mt. Sequoyah
    222 - TriCorner Knob Shelter
    223 - Mt. Guyot
    225 - Plane Wreckage
    229 - Cosby Knob Shelter (Leave before sunrise)
    232 - Mt. Cammerer Fire Toweer (Be here for sunrise)
    237 - Davenport Gap (GSMNP Exit)
    239 - Pigeon River Bridge
    242 - Standing Bear Hostel
    245 - Snowbird Mountain
    253 - Max Patch Summit
    I think the only difference in my itinerary is that I added Cosby Knob in between Tri Corner and Standing Bear. I think I will want to see the sunrise from Mt. Cammerer lookout as recommended. I am sure that view is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    The "easy" access blockage is to keep motor vehicles off. I've never seen anything saying "KEEP OFF" at the obstructions or on the sign board. The vast majority of day trippers use that "easy" access. That "easy" access is straight up the hill, and you can walk anywhere on Max that you choose. There is no law saying you have to stay on the AT at Max Patch that I am aware of.

I didn't imply you were stupid. But, you are, at a minimum, ill-informed as to the legality of camping/hiking on Max Patch and the damage that walking and camping on top of it does to the grass/scrub on top.

The concept of LNT is so destroyed by the mowing of Max Patch for our mutual visual enjoyment that anything else seems laughable, to me.

Max Patch is not just for AT'ers. It's use is 1000-1 the other way. I get your opinion, but to say that people "should not be out there" if they want to camp on the Patch is kinda sorta crazy talk. I'd venture to say that MOST AT thrus and Sectioners camp on top of the Patch, if they camp within a mile of it. It's a man-made oddity in the middle of natural beauty, not some sacred ground...
    I have been told by several people that live and work near by along with forestry personel that they want to avoid allowing camping. I understand also you opinion of the idea of mowing up there as non LNT, but I take the LNT as not just not altering nature but protecting what is there as a resource. I also never mentioned that it is only for AT hikers, but if you are not going to respect the land and others using it, do not go. Take care of what you have or do not go.

Leonidas

Ok, I revised my itinerary and got my permit dates in GSMNP. Icewater 20th, Tricorner 21st, Cosby 22nd, Standing Bear 23rd, Max Patch CS 24th. I am hoping to find a campsite located near Big Rock Spring just past Big Bluff Mtn. any ideas or suggestions for camping near mile 263? Then finishup at Laughing Heart on Friday 26th.
    Catpen Gap 261.8 or Tentsite at 264.2
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

For this section hike, ewfound gap to hot springs, I'm interested in ideas for GREAT sunrises and sunsets.
    I definitely plan to camp 1 night near Max Patch. I also read to see the sunrise from Mt. Cammerer firetower. Other suggestions are appreciated, I've never hiked this section.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

For this section hike, ewfound gap to hot springs, I'm interested in ideas for GREAT sunrises and sunsets.
    I definitely plan to camp 1 night near Max Patch. I also read to see the sunrise from Mt. Cammerer firetower. Other suggestions are appreciated, I've never hiked this section.

I think Mt Cammerer firetower is on the west side of the ridge. Not sure if you could see a sunrise from there, maybe a sunset. Also, just so you know, camping at the firetower isn't allowed. So if you wanna catch the sunrise/sunset, give yourself enough time to get there from your campsite or shelter.

I've been to Mt Cammerer once. Weather was okay in Knoxville, but we passed through heavy rain as we approached the Park. At the trailhead, the air was still wet and very foggy, so I decided against taking my camera. Hiked up the hill in lingering drizzle. When we reached the firetower, clouds had lifted somewhat, the sun was shining from the west and absolutely lit up everything. It was dazzling. I had no camera.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I think Mt Cammerer firetower is on the west side of the ridge. Not sure if you could see a sunrise from there, maybe a sunset. Also, just so you know, camping at the firetower isn't allowed. So if you wanna catch the sunrise/sunset, give yourself enough time to get there from your campsite or shelter.

I've been to Mt Cammerer once. Weather was okay in Knoxville, but we passed through heavy rain as we approached the Park. At the trailhead, the air was still wet and very foggy, so I decided against taking my camera. Hiked up the hill in lingering drizzle. When we reached the firetower, clouds had lifted somewhat, the sun was shining from the west and absolutely lit up everything. It was dazzling. I had no camera.
    Thank you, I'll be at Cosby Knob Shelter, my plan was to leave shelter before sunrise to see it. But thx for the headsup about the location of the tower.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

... I also read to see the sunrise from Mt. Cammerer firetower...
    From Cosby Knob shelter to the Fire Tower, it's more than a 3.5 mile hike with almost a 1,000' elevation gain after Low Gap.
    Cosby Knob is the closest campsite to the Fire Tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I think Mt Cammerer firetower is on the west side of the ridge. Not sure if you could see a sunrise from there, maybe a sunset.
    The tower is ALMOST at the eastern edge of a peninsula, and I seem to recall that it pretty much as a 360º view. If anything, there's a little bit of a hump to the west of the tower that might block a bit of a sunset if it's in just the right spot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++