WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default When is the earliest you can start a SOBO hike?

I want to start in April of this year, but will the NE be thawed by then?

You cannot start a SOBO hike until the folks at Baxter State Park open the Hunt Trail to the top of Katahdin. That never takes place before May 15 and varies with conditions on the mountain -- sometime in the last two weeks of May usually, and every once in a while not until early June. Here is a sample of opening days for the Hunt Trail for some recent years, as supplied by TJ aka Teej:

'15 Park delayed opening some campgrounds. Hunt open May 22nd. (Summit snow on the 23rd!)
    '14 Park delayed opening some campgrounds until May 22nd. Hunt open May 29th.
    '13 May 24th
    '12 May 20th
    '11 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol open Memorial day weekend.
    '10 May 25th
    '09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol.
    '08 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol and Hunt open May 29th.
    '07 May 31st

Some people start their SOBO thru attempt before then, skipping Katahdin, with the idea that they will come back at some point and hike to the top of Katahdin.

Here is a link to the page for SOBO thru-hiker threads, in case you are not familiar with it. The first three threads in particular have valuable info for any SOBO:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdis...-hikers-(MEGA)

Other WB members living in that area can give you an idea of the difficulties involved with hiking in Maine and New Hampshire in the spring. I'm sure some will weigh in soon.
    Last edited by map man; 01-22-2017 at 18:58.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

No, NE will not be thawed by April. It will be THAWING at lower elevations and still have snowpack in the mountains, and it will be a mess from a hiking standpoint. Most SOBO's will not start any earlier than June 1, and that is pushing it. Baxter State Park campgrounds don't open until May 15 and later, and climbing Katahdin is at the Director's discretion, but generally Memorial Day would be about the earliest you should PLAN to be able to climb. Add that many times trail crews are only just getting out in May to clear blowdown, etc.; streams will be raging, very deep and cold; mud will be everywhere; black flies will be swarming; businesses that support hikers will not be open, etc. The TRADITIONAL date to start a SOBO is July 1, for all those reasons. Lately people have been pushing that back into June, but April would pretty much be impossible. Better to do it in the dead of winter than April.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

This might end up being not much of a winter, but you'd be a fool to start anytime in April.

The earliest you can start (and climb Katahdin) is no earlier then May 15th and even that could be too early.

If you want to start in April, start in Harpers Ferry and do a flip flop.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

A mild winter thus far means little when predicting weather 3 months ahead . It would behoove you to start NOBO at Harpers Ferry or wait till Baxter opens in May.

Better to begin when the ice thaws , trail crew has surveyed and cleared deadfall and other pre opening measures have been completed.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

In 2013, I started on June 1st. The only place I saw snow was in Mahoosuc Notch. Fords were definitely high, but only once did I wait a day for a stream to calm down before I crossed. Not too many blowdowns, either. But, I'm in agreement with everyone else, I don't recommend starting in April. Rather than hiking North from HF, have you considered the "cool breeze" hike? http://appalachiantrail.org/home/exp...ng/alternative ("Cool Breeze" info is near bottom of page).

In an attempt to directly answer your question, I would say May 15 if conditions are favorable.
    Righeous
    AT SOBO '13

Montani Semper Liberi-
    Mountaineers are always free

Thanks all! This is really helpful.

I'm planning sobo in mid to late June. Honestly bugs generally suck in The woods here until July ish most years
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

unless you like slogging through soft, thawing snow that could be up to 6 feet deep, cold wet feet, and freezing water temps when fording streams, climbing over blowdowns for miles, I would completely forget about hiking in ME or NH anytime before June 1st. Even in June, it can be cold and wet.

From their FB post yesterday BSP says 71" of snow at Chimney Pond currently. Talked with a ranger at the office yesterday while making reservations for May and she said they've had pretty good snow at lower elevations as well this year. Don't be fooled by the low snow levels elsewhere, including here in southern Maine. This will probably not be an early opening year so planning to summit before June 1 should involve a backup plan IMO.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Yes, No, Maybe.

I really like the Modified Cool Breeze trip. I would consider that even if I didn't have time constraints. Avoiding crowds and hot weather would be really appealing to me. Thanks for sharing!

Technically you can summit all winter with an expedition or with approval for solo. Make no mistake it is completely a mouantaineering summit with requirements far exceeding anything a thru is equipped for. People die it's not a thing to be taken lightly
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

I'm betting a post June first opening date this year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Yes, No, Maybe.
    Now there's some real wisdom without a lot of details to confuse the issue.

++ New Posts ++