WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AT Thru-hike Gear List 2018

Hello all,

I am new to this forum so forgive me for any mistakes in posting this. I am currently planning my NOBO thru-hike for 2018 and would love to have some opinions on my gear list. I'd love to know which items may not be necessary and which items I may have left out.
    This will be my first LDH, but I have worked in the outdoor industry for about 3 years so I feel fairly confident in my list, but am open to any criticisms. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    AT Gear List.xlsx - Sheet1.pdf

Also, I am aware that some of the weights are not exactly correct, as I just used the info I could find on the internet.

Your list looks pretty good and well thought out to me. Some hikers like to carry a digging implement (trowel, snow stake, etc) and some don't, though those that don't often have trouble digging an effective LNT cathole. Disclaimer: I am pro-trowel.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

You have two pairs of sleeping socks. I would bring 2 pairs to hike in, one has been washed and safety pinned to your pack and is drying. Alternate socks. Sock liners? Some like them, some don't.
    Lighter needed.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Looks really pretty good. I'd say some of the "worn" layers will most likely not always be worn. Also, add in another pair of socks or two. Happy feet make happy hiking.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

No criticisms from me as I am just a section hiker.

2 pairs of leggings? Don't think you will need to hike in them if wearing long pants. Camp only or if super cold a few days on the trail.
    Compression sack? If for your sleeping bag it is not needed, as your WM Ultalite compresses small by itself.
    Nano Air is sort of heavy and might be too warm to hike in.
    Beta LT is super nice....lighter offering that are also much, much cheaper.
    Crocs...unless you already own them.

Love my Cerium LT. I never understood why it does not get more love on WB. Sure there are some lighter options but it is such a solid, warm jacket and only a few ounces over others.

MoleSkin- get some Lukatape. Works much better.

QiWiz makes and sells the best trowels on the market. Love mine.
    Sporks don't make good spoons or forks.

I am not a bladder person but many are.

If the items in your list have already been purchased then keep what you have.
    Really is a solid list.

My socks are listed in camping clothes but I will only be sleeping in the Mountaineering socks. The other pair of Darn Tough socks are my other pair for hiking. Forgot about the lighter. Thanks for the input!

Swisscross,

Good advice on the leggings, I may just take one pair and save the weight since I will be wearing pants. I am using the compression sack to put both my sleeping bag and camp clothes in instead of having two different compression sacks. I fortunately already own the Beta LT so I won't be shelling out any money for it and I already own the crocs. Thanks for the tip on the Lukatape and all the advice!

Looks good... I'm not a camp shoe carrying person but that is a personal choice.

If you haven't already bought the tent, I would absolutely consider a light 2-person tent.
    The hikers that had 1-man tents were consistently jealous of the extra space and ability to store Bag inside the tent.
    I have the Fly Creek UL2, and like it, but there are great choices that are at least as light as your 1-man.

I would also reconsider a Goal Zero charger if it requires sunlight.
    A decent battery pack would be my choice.

2EZ,

Yea I have considered a two person and am fortunate to work at an outdoor store where I can test them out on a daily basis, just haven't decided 100% yet. I still may swap the Hubba NX for possibly the Hubba Hubba. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2EZ View Post
    I would also reconsider a Goal Zero charger if it requires sunlight.
    A decent battery pack would be my choice.
    I've got the Goal Zero Flip 10 so no worries about charging it via sunlight.

Oh, the bladder. Yes, personal choice. Have you done much hiking with one? I did for a while, and now have switched to two smaller Smart Water bottles, hung off the front of my pack straps using AquaClips and some DIY shock cord on the bottom. Here were my issues with a bladder. When inside the pack, I can't tell what is left in it. I got the Sawyer things that let me filter right back into the bladder when it is still in the pack. But still, I found I was carrying too much water all the time, and it is on my back. With the smart bottles, it shifts the weight to my front and I can see what I have left and decide when I need to filter.
    I see you list both a Smart water bottle and a bladder, so not sure your plan there.
    Last edited by rhjanes; 01-20-2017 at 23:39.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I typically use my camelbak on shorter day hikes but I am beginning to think I'd do better with two SmartWater bottles instead. Didn't think about not being able to see how much water I would have left and I definitely don't want to carry any unnecessary water weight. I was going to run my sawyer mini inline but now I think it would just be easier to use it with the water bottles.

I found I have to almost unpack the pack, to be able to put a full bladder back into the sleeve in my pack. Some do just run the filter inline. On one hike I was on, one person did that. But what they did was just strap the bladder under the "lid" of their pack. That way, they just uncliped the top of the pack to fill it, and just suck thru the tube, dirty water in the bladder. Only issue I would think about that, was that it puts that water weight up on the top of your pack. But it was working for them! And when they stopped, it was a ready made to refill or set up for gravity filter!

And I use a bladder on my weekly 8 mile hike and also at Orienteering events. But I'm not refilling or attempting to put a bladder into a pack at either of those.

Just some stuff to think about , try out and such.

another quick thought, there is a handy web site called Gear Grams. I put all my gear into that. Weigh them, links to where I purchased and such. Then, from the gear list, you can drag and drop to a hike. So I have all my gear in the main section. Then I have different hikes and I drag and drop the gear, into the hike. Makes a nice "what I'm thinking to take" and you can print it off even to use as a packing list. Is fun to mess with and you can build alternative list. "At2018 Winter". "At2018 Summer" At2018 Summer list 2" (maybe thinking different gear so set up two and see how the wight and such looks)

Journal Entries
    Images

Lighterpack is another easy to use site. I just stuff my bladder and tarp in my front pocket on my pack
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

A few preference items will come up on gear lists. I prefer to use lightweight bottles instead of Camelbak hydration systems. Fewer moving parts to explode in your back & they weigh less. I'd prefer the Sawyer Squeeze over the Mini (faster flow but 1 oz more in weighty). I'd opt for a lighter headlamp (make up for the heavier filter). Moleskin, IMHO, is borderline worthless. There are other options mentioned in other posts. I'd opt to include a trash compactor bag lining my pack. I've never experienced that much rain in my life than I did on my AT hike. I was glad I had a bag liner.

That being said, the gear doesn't make the hike. The hiker makes the hike. The gear can make it a little easier or harder. You get to hump your gear. Anyway, good luck in planning your hike. I hope all goes well when you finally hit the trail.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Your call depending on how much you like to unpack and sprawl out but the Hubba NX has a large enough vestibule to store a pack with some stuff still in it and possibly cook under. Personally, if I have more than maybe one or two unworn apparel pieces or unused pieces that make for a large pack still I think I'm carrying too much once camp is set up.

How about a start date?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++