WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Senior Hikers?

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

"Things" in my life are beginning to line up for me to be able to hike on the AT for 2019. My plans are quite modified from those of the past 2 decades. My hiking partners will be my car(s) and my service dog Polly. I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the car thing about 3 years ago, even using little mini cars to figure out how such a thing could be done smoothly when SLOW AND STEADY was published. Ahhh. It works. All that is needed is a second auto and a steady pace of 10 mpd. My reason for wanting the 2 autos and aiming at 10 mpd is my dog. We could be within less than 10 miles from any need she might develop. Also, we will be capable of moving up and down the trail to where it is "Cool Breeze" acceptable. That is the nebulous plan.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    "Things" in my life are beginning to line up for me to be able to hike on the AT for 2019. My plans are quite modified from those of the past 2 decades. My hiking partners will be my car(s) and my service dog Polly. I was trying to figure out how to accomplish the car thing about 3 years ago, even using little mini cars to figure out how such a thing could be done smoothly when SLOW AND STEADY was published. Ahhh. It works. All that is needed is a second auto and a steady pace of 10 mpd. My reason for wanting the 2 autos and aiming at 10 mpd is my dog. We could be within less than 10 miles from any need she might develop. Also, we will be capable of moving up and down the trail to where it is "Cool Breeze" acceptable. That is the nebulous plan.
    There are a lot of people who have leapfrogged with cars.

Drive north, hike south. Spend the night at the car. Drive north, hike south. 10 miles a day or so. Never need to carry more than one day's food and water. If you always camp at your car, you can always leave the tent/hammock there. Makes for a lighter pack.

On my last SNP hike I was nearing Big Meadows when I came across a group of about 6 elderly woman. I would guess they were about 70 years old +/-. They were all dressed in bright pastel colored hiking clothes, had very nice packs, shoes, etc... They really seemed to know what they were doing. They were by far the best looking group of hikers I've ever seen. They were cruising the opposite direction of me having a great time. I stopped to chat but only very briefly. I now regret not taking the time to learn a little more about them and get a picture. I want to be them when I grow up.

"Gear:
    Pack- Osprey 50L AG worked well. Usually easy to carry, everything I used including the tent and poles were placed inside the pack. Downside was taking extra time to pack in the mornings. The belt pockets were not too useful. The zippers on the lid or brain, if open, would dump contents if trying to get into the main compartment of the pack.

Tent- Fly Creek UL HV 2P. Worked well, even keeping me and my gear dry in an overnight rain.
    For an old guy getting in and out would have been easier, I think, with a side-load tent like my companion's Nemo Hornets. But the B.A. fly Creek was $150 at a REI garage sale. "

Nice review.

I've encountered a number of people who switched to the AG because it fit them better than other packs. I can respect that.

I've also seen people happy with Fly Creeks (it is a popular tent on the trail) and if you are the only user, front entry isn't as bad.

I've hiked the Big Meadows/Skyland route and have to confess that we used the showers, etc. Even did laundry.

I'm only in my sixties, but I really enjoy these reports.

Just my 2 cents...

1) Walking. Do as much as you can in preparation.

2) Weights. If you don't have these, buy a cheap set from Walmart. We all lose muscle mass as we age (sorry; the truth). Resistance training is particularly beneficial in this regard, although of course take it super slow.

Have a great hike!
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

I volunteer at SNP and am glad to talk with you or your sons about your upcoming hike. I'm a bit younger, but some days I feel like I'm 100+ years old. One of the great things about backpacking in SNP is you don't have to carry much food or water. Resupply is available at the waysides and campgrounds as well as potable water. You can send me a priivate message or email [email protected].

PS - there are lots of bears in SNP so remember to bring a bear bag/rope or a bear cannister.

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    get the best sleeping pad that you can!!! Over the last 60 years the ground has gotten harder and harder!!

Seriously, today's sleeping pads offer amazing comfort at a reasonable weight.
    I second that.

I'm always finding the place where the ground is rock hard.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I turn 70 this year and in 2010 I met a lady on Barren Mountain in the 100 mw who was 84. She was carrying a full pack.
    I wish that I had her address, contact number.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++