WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default The Sound of Silence- a mis-adventure on the AT

Cathy and I had planned a hike on the AT for the MLK holiday. The plan was flawless but the execution left somewhat to be desired.

Even with all the SNAFUs we enjoyed the day and the hike, for the most part. We will go back soon and do "Plan A" again, this time hopefully with proper execution.

The mistakes we made are detailed in the video. It's a different kind of trip report for me. My apologies to Mountain Wanderer for stealing his method of commentary, and to TiedUp for using one of his song selections. They're both much better at this than me.

The report/video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-po9uja9vUQ

Additionally, we saw one yellow-tag thru hiker. Early start!

This section was closed for fires, but from Neel Gap to Wolf Laurel Ridge, I didn't notice any burnt sections along the trail.

Glad ya'll didn't starve to death! Sometimes I get a little "giddy" when I get to spend some time on the trail. It's magic makes me forget everything else. :-) As the saying goes.... A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.

I was almost expecting you to have gotten turned around after your nap and hiked to Hog Pen Gap in the dense fog!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I was almost expecting you to have gotten turned around after your nap and hiked to Hog Pen Gap in the dense fog!
    Exactly what I was thinking!

Johnspenn,

I feel your pain in this. Our MLK hike had a series of very similar mishaps: left my hiking stick behind (twice), left the keys to the destination car in the start car, etc. Fortunately we NEVER forgot the food, and I'm heartily glad that Cathy was right and you did not starve on your day hike. One minor difference is perhaps if the Sounds of Silence did ever play in my mind it would most definitely been in the voices of Simon and Garfunkel!

I've concluded that this year MLK stood for Memory Loss ......um, something that begins with a K that I can't remember right now. Even so, ours was also a wonderful hike.

Here's to next year!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post

Johnspenn,

I feel your pain in this. Our MLK hike had a series of very similar mishaps: left my hiking stick behind (twice), left the keys to the destination car in the start car, etc. Fortunately we NEVER forgot the food, and I'm heartily glad that Cathy was right and you did not starve on your day hike. One minor difference is perhaps if the Sounds of Silence did ever play in my mind it would most definitely been in the voices of Simon and Garfunkel!

I've concluded that this year MLK stood for Memory Loss ......um, something that begins with a K that I can't remember right now. Even so, ours was also a wonderful hike.

Here's to next year!

My song last weekend was the Mamas and the Papas' California Dreaming - "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey, I've been for a walk on a winter's day ..."
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    My song last weekend was the Mamas and the Papas' California Dreaming - "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey, I've been for a walk on a winter's day ..."
    I was "Maryland Dreaming" that song coming down off Lamb's Knoll :) Great minds think alike, and so do ours!

I have a repertoire of 60's-70's songs for hiking.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

So, after watching the video, I came back here to say that I expected you to go the wrong way when you woke up... That seems to be a common theme here. Wonder why. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
    Glad ya'll didn't starve to death! Sometimes I get a little "giddy" when I get to spend some time on the trail. It's magic makes me forget everything else. :-) As the saying goes.... A bad day on the trail is better than a good day at work.
    That's a true saying, and despite our mistakes it was nowhere near a bad day- we did actually thoroughly enjoy our hike!

Fortunately that didn't happen. That really would have made it interesting, because as it was by the time we got back to Neel Gap what little light was left was fading. I can't imaginge trying to hike at night in that soup!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post

Johnspenn,

Here's to next year!
    I left my hiking stick behind once as well... great minds? Fortunately we hadn't gone far (1/4 mile or so) before I realized it.

I always loved the Simon and Garfunkel version of SoS. I do, however, love a well-done cover, and I really thought Disturbed captured the tone and mood of the song really well.

We had a great hike as well. It really was a surreal feeling hiking through the dense fog/clouds and mist.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    That's a great song too! May have been appropriate if we coud have seen the sky haha!

Quote Originally Posted by MkBibble View Post
    So, after watching the video, I came back here to say that I expected you to go the wrong way when you woke up... That seems to be a common theme here. Wonder why. LOL!
    It certainly would have been par for the course for us on that day!

Thanks, everyone for watching!

I've forgotten my hiking poles at home once...500 miles away...
    Another time I forgot my sleeping pad...2200 miles away...

I ran into a gal on the AT who begged me to take some pictures of her and email them to her. She was on a thru hike and had forgotten her phone...

For the last 10 years or so it's been a proper paper check list for me. YMMV.

For the last 10 years or so it's been a proper paper check list for me. YMMV.
    Sometimes I get organized enough for a checklist... but not every time sadly =)

++ New Posts ++