WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Music on the trail

What are you guys doing for music? I am part way through creating a gigantic spotify playlist that I will keep on my phone. For those curious, spotify has a 10,000 song limit in playlists. That's TONS of room. At this point, I am adding the discography of most artists I like, and then trimming out live versions and duplicates, and songs I don't like all that much. I find it easier to add them en mass then remove the singles I don't want. For a few bands/artists, I have added only the songs I like. I'm up to 106 hours (1500 songs) so far.

Since battery charge is most likely to be asked: I have an android phone, and I figure with a few tweaks, the battery can last for quite a while (aside from just using airplane mode). Listening to music usually isn't a huge drain in itself. I am also carrying a 10,000 mAH Anker charger for when I am between towns.

I figure the trail will be a good place to catch up on albums I haven't listened to but have been meaning to
    Keep up with my pre-train for my 2017 thru hike, and the planned thru hike, starting in March, at escapingtheoffice.com

Don't doubt what your body can accomplish, it can do more than you think.

Im actually going to keep my spotify subscription going myself as well! Didnt know about the 10k song limit though. dont think i could fill that even if i wanted to, haha.

im building a small list right now but im sure ill add to it as im hiking. need to also save some room on the phone for photos and videos too! that app can chew up some space.

Images

In order to save phone battery we're carrying the iPod Shuffle with about 12-15 hours of music on it. I only listen to music while hiking every few days at the most though...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I carry 2 ipod shuffles (less than 2 0z), one for podcasts, one for music. Keep my phone on airplane mode all day.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Pandora here. I only hike the VA area and we have AMAZING coverage so I have not once lost service. I assume this will be an issue though once I hit other parts of the trail so maybe a spotify is in order... I can listen to my stations "off line" with my pandora plus account though...

Journal Entries

To all those who are carrying a iPod, is it weight efficient over adding that weight to a larger battery for the main phone?

On the AT in '13 I had the ability to recharge my iPhone 2-3x, I had no problem using it for music and audiobooks (and lots of other stuff), even streaming music such as Pandora mostly in NJ>CT where you are almost always in cell tower range. 5 days is the max I when without a recharge, and still had a reserve of power, even the time when I messed up and let a fully charged iPhone drain overnight as I forgot to turn airplane mode back on.

I listen to music 99% of the time ( with 2 ear buds in), I listen to a mix of Pandora and iTunes. I have the Pandora subscription, 50 bucks a year and I can listen to my top 3 stations offline. Saves a good bit of data over a week of hiking etc.

Battery Life: I can listen all day to my phone, take pics, use Guthooks, internet when needed, text...phone lasts for 2.5 days. I carry a mophie 12000 mah that can supposedly charge my phone 6 times (baloney).
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Oventoasted View Post
    Im actually going to keep my spotify subscription going myself as well! Didnt know about the 10k song limit though. dont think i could fill that even if i wanted to, haha.

im building a small list right now but im sure ill add to it as im hiking. need to also save some room on the phone for photos and videos too! that app can chew up some space.
    I think I could fill a list that large, but I think storage room would end up being an issue. I think I have a new plan, make a list of albums I want to check out (that I haven't yet) and when I can access wifi, save a few of them offline and listen to them a few times. Next wifi stop, switch out with something else.
    Keep up with my pre-train for my 2017 thru hike, and the planned thru hike, starting in March, at escapingtheoffice.com

Don't doubt what your body can accomplish, it can do more than you think.

Whatever you choose, please keep it in your ears. Last year we had a group of hikers blasting their music through a portable speaker. Had to listen to their disagreeable playlist for an hour. They were going the opposite direction as we were. Would have been worse if they were going the same.

I think music on the trail is part of hike your own hike and should not be forced onto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Huli View Post
    Whatever you choose, please keep it in your ears. Last year we had a group of hikers blasting their music through a portable speaker. Had to listen to their disagreeable playlist for an hour. They were going the opposite direction as we were. Would have been worse if they were going the same.

I think music on the trail is part of hike your own hike and should not be forced onto others.
    +1 to this!

I met two guys on the trail who would try to outdo each other with earworms every time they passed each other.

So that explains the teeny bits of electronic gear with what appeared to be a shredded speaker.....

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    So that explains the teeny bits of electronic gear with what appeared to be a shredded speaker.....
    That's known to happen. When canoe camping with some friends for the weekend, we had to "borrow" a neighbor's speaker on the Saturday night after they blasted 50 cent (I thought I was in the woods, not "da club") and various things at us until 4 am the night before. They got it back Sunday in one piece though.

Thunder

agree so much with this
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

Images

I listen to birds, creeks, chippies, squirrels, the wind in the trees and grass. Nature has the best music if you turn off the noise and listen.

Howya gonna hear the RATTLE, or just wait tillya feel it...just sayin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I listen to birds, creeks, chippies, squirrels, the wind in the trees and grass. Nature has the best music if you turn off the noise and listen.

This, absolutely. This music is the reason I hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    This, absolutely. This music is the reason I hike.
    Yep. The sound of the natural world. ( … says this amateur musician … )

Images

In days past the trail was a lot noisier with actual radios at shelters. Tough darts to those who didn't like it. Ear buds are a blessing although a lot of them do leak. I am surprised that snake bites are avoided.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    This! Being a musician it was hard to go without any tunes and I got stuck on the same tunes, day after day. But I agree, the sounds of nature are the best to clear the mind. Tunes are for town days for me.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++