WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

:banana Your First Undestructable Pair Of Hiking Boots (Lightweight, High Friction)

Hello,

Few months ago I started taking hiking quite seriously and now I am becoming the best hiker in the world.

My health and superpowers improved significantly - that's one of the benefits. Right now I can walk at least 2 miles without the risk of running out of mana.

Although, I couldn't help noticing that my footwear does not hold my super feet the way it should and it does not like my new hiking habits. So after destroying a second cheap pair of boots I decided it's time to invest in a decent pair of proper super ultra hiking boots.

Main requirements: durable, lightweight, comfortable, powerful and under 400 dollars.

After some research and trying out some boots in local stores I am being torn between two choices: KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoes and Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoes you can see them HERE: http://readytohike.com/best-hiking-s...n-lightweight/

I really liked the feel and the amount of ultraness of both, although, the option 2 seems a bit more comfortable, but I heard that option 1 tends to be more durable aka powerful.

I would be grateful if you could share your opinion. Which one would you choose and recommend?

Thank you

After reading this...twice...You sir picked a perfect screen name.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries
    Images

I have first-foot (similar to first-hand) experience with the Merrill Moab Ventilator mids. I absolutely love them. Never had a blister. Though I've always hiked in them paired with Superfeet green insoles and merino socks. I've hiked these puppies hard, on all kinds of trails in all kinds of weather. My my feet have stayed warm, they dry quickly for boots, and they're my go-to footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by higuy111 View Post
    Hello,

Few months ago I started taking hiking quite seriously and now I am becoming the best hiker in the world.

My health and superpowers improved significantly - that's one of the benefits. Right now I can walk at least 2 miles without the risk of running out of mana.

Although, I couldn't help noticing that my footwear does not hold my super feet the way it should and it does not like my new hiking habits. So after destroying a second cheap pair of boots I decided it's time to invest in a decent pair of proper super ultra hiking boots.

Main requirements: durable, lightweight, comfortable, powerful and under 400 dollars.

After some research and trying out some boots in local stores I am being torn between two choices: KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Shoes and Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoes you can see them HERE: http://readytohike.com/best-hiking-s...n-lightweight/

I really liked the feel and the amount of ultraness of both, although, the option 2 seems a bit more comfortable, but I heard that option 1 tends to be more durable aka powerful.

I would be grateful if you could share your opinion. Which one would you choose and recommend?

Thank you

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    After reading this...twice...You sir picked a perfect screen name.

Journal Entries
    Images

BTW those 332.75 miles in my signature line? 300 of them were hiked in my Merrill's, along with that much more (and then some) walking around my town, mostly on asphalt. And they've still got some life in them. I don't count my "walking" miles in my sig line total, because if there isn't a pack on my back, I don't consider myself to be hiking. One reason I'm sort of disenfranchised with my local hiking club. They mostly walk in malls, on paved bike trails, etc. They aren't hikers, they're walkers.

That is the exact kind of stuff I need! 1 Points goes to...

Could you tell me, how it feels hiking with these? Just like walking on clouds or a bit lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I have first-foot (similar to first-hand) experience with the Merrill Moab Ventilator mids. I absolutely love them. Never had a blister. Though I've always hiked in them paired with Superfeet green insoles and merino socks. I've hiked these puppies hard, on all kinds of trails in all kinds of weather. My my feet have stayed warm, they dry quickly for boots, and they're my go-to footwear.

I answered this over on SB.com (same Screen Name). Pick the pair that fits the best and is the most comfortable...durability isn't going to help when your feet are hurting!

Thank you! That is a strong argument for Merrills. Do you prefer rocky terrains or more "asphalty" terrains?

BTW those 332.75 miles in my signature line? 300 of them were hiked in my Merrill's, along with that much more (and then some) walking around my town, mostly on asphalt. And they've still got some life in them. I don't count my "walking" miles in my sig line total, because if there isn't a pack on my back, I don't consider myself to be hiking. One reason I'm sort of disenfranchised with my local hiking club. They mostly walk in malls, on paved bike trails, etc. They aren't hikers, they're walkers.

Thank you I believe, that if there's a possibility to choose durability AND comfort, I'd like to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I answered this over on SB.com (same Screen Name). Pick the pair that fits the best and is the most comfortable...durability isn't going to help when your feet are hurting!

Journal Entries
    Images

I haven't had the experience of walking on clouds with anything other than those gel type Dr. Scholl's insoles I tried stuffing in my work boots back when I worked in the auto industry and had a really bad case of plantar faciitis (sp). I didn't much like the feeling of walking on clouds. It's too unstable. What I will say is that with the Merrill's, I didn't even think about my feet. Which is what you want. Except for some rocky portions of the AT in Western Maryland, (and I haven't talked to anyone who has been able to side-step that particular type of AT torture, especially in PA) they have simply performed near flawlessly. That is a lot to say when you're carrying 35 lbs on your back and going even 10 - 12 miles per day. I can't speak beyond that number because I haven't hiked much more mileage than that per day. I will this year, but I don't know yet. I'll probably continue to hike with this setup for footwear because I know it and I like it.

That is the exact kind of stuff I need! 1 Points goes to...

Could you tell me, how it feels hiking with these? Just like walking on clouds or a bit lighter?

Thank you! That's a really detailed reply. That's what I had in mind, NOT THINKING ABOUT FEET. That's great!

I haven't had the experience of walking on clouds with anything other than those gel type Dr. Scholl's insoles I tried stuffing in my work boots back when I worked in the auto industry and had a really bad case of plantar faciitis (sp). I didn't much like the feeling of walking on clouds. It's too unstable. What I will say is that with the Merrill's, I didn't even think about my feet. Which is what you want. Except for some rocky portions of the AT in Western Maryland, (and I haven't talked to anyone who has been able to side-step that particular type of AT torture, especially in PA) they have simply performed near flawlessly. That is a lot to say when you're carrying 35 lbs on your back and going even 10 - 12 miles per day. I can't speak beyond that number because I haven't hiked much more mileage than that per day. I will this year, but I don't know yet. I'll probably continue to hike with this setup for footwear because I know it and I like it.

Check out Oboz Sawtooth's. Their insoles are better than Superfeet. Great trail shoes. I'm on my second pair of the Sawtooths and just brought the Bridger mids.

I have two pair of Rocky's that I hike in. A pair of SV5 trail runners and a pair of SV5 mid boots. Both are super light weight and very durable.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Moab Ventilators. For hiking, I don't like them so much. Hurt my feet. If I dont wear them for hours on end, they are fine. They've been relegated to my arounf town shoes. I have a pair of Oboz Bridger mids that work really well for fall and Winter hiking. Too hot for Summer. Leather gets wet and heavy. My preferred Three season hiking shoe has become my Salomon XDA3's. Feet stay cooler, its OK if they get wet, they dry out fairly quickly, much quicker than the merrel moabs, for sure.

Im fairly certain I'm going to stick with Salomon trail runners anytime I'm not worried about slush or snow.

No modern boot lasts more then about 500 miles on the AT. Pennsylvania's rocks really chew up boots. The only indestructible boots I've owned are all Leather Limmer boots, but they weigh nearly 3 pounds a piece!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi, Thank you for reply! What do you mean by SV5? I tried to search on google but didn't find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlaze2019 View Post
    I have two pair of Rocky's that I hike in. A pair of SV5 trail runners and a pair of SV5 mid boots. Both are super light weight and very durable.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Are they purely synthetic?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I have a pair of Moab Ventilators. For hiking, I don't like them so much. Hurt my feet. If I dont wear them for hours on end, they are fine. They've been relegated to my arounf town shoes. I have a pair of Oboz Bridger mids that work really well for fall and Winter hiking. Too hot for Summer. Leather gets wet and heavy. My preferred Three season hiking shoe has become my Salomon XDA3's. Feet stay cooler, its OK if they get wet, they dry out fairly quickly, much quicker than the merrel moabs, for sure.

Im fairly certain I'm going to stick with Salomon trail runners anytime I'm not worried about slush or snow.

I really like the idea of having TOUGH boots... But maybe it's more practical to have lighter hiking shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    No modern boot lasts more then about 500 miles on the AT. Pennsylvania's rocks really chew up boots. The only indestructible boots I've owned are all Leather Limmer boots, but they weigh nearly 3 pounds a piece!

Are they purely synthetic?
    Mostly, yes. They aren't designed to get wet and dry out.

Moab mid ventilators or gtx will last. Last year I started wearing la sportiva trail runners and could see how burly the Moab's really were. I wear north face chilkat 400 when winter camping and every time I pull them out of the closet I wish Merrell made something comparable to it with a removable liner based around the Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++